Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

FFS, man.

Did you likewise hate Luke's shot that destroyed the Death Star in Episode IV?

Not that it matters all that much to me, but Gerbe had said that he'd been practicing that shot all season.

This was hilarious and should be recognized as such. :lol:

Datsyuk will make 5.5million this year if general fanager is correct. I am not sure if he leaves for another league if he gets all of that? Still big chunk of change to move up 4 spots. I do like a bold strategy though.

They won't be paying a penny. It's straight cap-dodging.

Maybe I misunderstood?

Edited by dudacek

Datsyuk gets paid every penny due to it being a 35+ contract. And I think it was a bad move because they paid enough to move up four spots WITHOUT taking on the contract.

All the talk leading up to the draft, including from Detroit's GM himself, was that it would take a significant young piece to move the contract and instead Arizona took on the contract like it was actually a value they were taking on.

But they probably wanted Chychrun bad, so if he turns into a star it was worth it. A dumb move that nobody will remember in a few years, especially if JC lives up to his potential.

Datsyuk gets paid every penny due to it being a 35+ contract. And I think it was a bad move because they paid enough to move up four spots WITHOUT taking on the contract.

All the talk leading up to the draft, including from Detroit's GM himself, was that it would take a significant young piece to move the contract and instead Arizona took on the contract like it was actually a value they were taking on.

But they probably wanted Chychrun bad, so if he turns into a star it was worth it. A dumb move that nobody will remember in a few years, especially if JC lives up to his potential.

I'm not so sure about that. I thought the only significance of a 35+ contract is that it's on the cap, not that the actual cash has to get paid out.

I'm not so sure about that. I thought the only significance of a 35+ contract is that it's on the cap, not that the actual cash has to get paid out.

You're correct. I'm an idiot and got confused with all these 35+ contracts sitting on LTIR.

Okay, so his caphit is there but Arizona does not have to pay him 5.5million this year? Is that correct? It was the way I understood it originally. 

Penguins just re-signed Matt Cullen to a 1 year deal. I thought they were already over the cap?

Okay, so his caphit is there but Arizona does not have to pay him 5.5million this year? Is that correct? It was the way I understood it originally.

Penguins just re-signed Matt Cullen to a 1 year deal. I thought they were already over the cap?

Both are correct.

And teams can exceed the cap during the offseason. The Pens signed Cullen and unsigned college free agent forward Thomas DiPauli (Caps 2012 pick).

Nope, don't pay him, and more importantly from their point of view, don't have to pay anybody the 5.5 million. Along with the the 47 other players they're not paying but are counting against the cap. Gotta get to the floor somehow... Absolute disgrace.

Nope, don't pay him, and more importantly from their point of view, don't have to pay anybody the 5.5 million. Along with the the 47 other players they're not paying but are counting against the cap. Gotta get to the floor somehow... Absolute disgrace.

Maybe but we were prepared to take that action I needed too I think no?

Maybe but we were prepared to take that action I needed too I think no?

Much different situations. Thanks to DR's cap management the Sabres were able to stay horrible and well above the cap floor. Arizona is, near as I can tell, wondering why they draw 12 fans per game while "paying" Chris Pronger and Pavel Datsuyk well north of ten million dollars to "play hockey" this season.

I think Arizona is headed in the right direction though. After this year, they will start improving with all of their forward talent. They just need to find a way to re-sign the young guys as they come up and actually build a winner. No one wants to cheer for a loser.