OT - The 2016 "What the heck are kids saying" language thread

inkman

I also have only ever known "woah"

I can't help but read "whoa" as who-uh, so it's definitely not natural for me to type

Dictionaries have it as "whoa."  It's from a command to a horse.

Also, while we're at it, I'm surprised no one has picked out "supernous" yet.

even serious-minded language types are starting to give into this.

I can understand the evolution of language, it's an ever changing process. But, people now use it in the context the complete opposite of what it means. That's not evolution. 

this is sort of interesting

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2012/10/where_the_word_ratchet_came_from/

this is better

http://latinrapper.com/blogs/?p=8810

and this, but when in metafilter, always ignore empath

http://ask.metafilter.com/241931/Ratchet

This had me SMH.

“The yin and the yang between ratchetness and righteousness."

My oldest got the Dad-glare for telling me she was tired AF the other day.

Was this typed it spoken? If spoken, did she say "as " or Ay Ef.

Ha! Hadn't thought of the ambiguity. It was spoken. Which is just weird. Weird AF.

Texting. All those kids, snapchattin' and yik yakkin' and dick pic'in...

I guess it's an addition to the "LOL" style lexicon. 

In fairness, the kids don't necessarily hear or intend the f-bomb when they see or say WTF either.

I'm not sure what you mean by "intending" the f-bomb, but I don't see anything strange or offensive about WTF or AF.  The word doesn't carry any stigma among the majority of my friends.

I'm not sure what you mean by "intending" the f-bomb, but I don't see anything strange or offensive about WTF or AF. The word doesn't carry any stigma among the majority of my friends.

I mean that WTF stands for What the , and that AF stands for As , but the kids don't always have that in mind when using those terms.

I'll tell you what really peeves me off.

EPIC

Epic was things like the Russians in the Battle of Stalingrad or the Civil Rights movement. A goddamn breakfast sandwich at IHOP is NOT epic.

I agree with you on that. It's amazing and surreal.

EPIC

Epic was things like the Russians in the Battle of Stalingrad or the Civil Rights movement.  A goddamn breakfast sandwich at IHOP is NOT epic.

EPIC

Epic was things like the Russians in the Battle of Stalingrad or the Civil Rights movement.  A goddamn breakfast sandwich at IHOP is NOT epic.

Well, if it's from IHOP, probably not.

I mean that WTF stands for What the ######, and that AF stands for As ######, but the kids don't always have that in mind when using those terms.

I think it's important to note that the f word in general now applies in ways that it was never intended to. It won't be long before it's not even a curse word anymore. A lot of times it doesn't even mean anything. It's just tossed in.

I think it's important to note that the f word in general now applies in ways that it was never intended to. It won't be long before it's not even a curse word anymore. A lot of times it doesn't even mean anything. It's just tossed in.

What the are you talking about, sir? What kind of people would just throw the f word in without it meaning any thing? That's down right heathenous.

-ish is not that new, but it's interesting. It's not just "be there five-ish" anymore. A young gal told me, "I know those people-ish." (-ish is really modifying "know," not "people.")

Edited by PASabreFan

Something about a dick in a watch pocket....

Well, you can't just leave it at that  :lol:

Is FML still a thing? Every time I hear someone say that I want to say, "STFU, JTMFLYLW (just try my ###### life you lightweight)." In three hours they would be saying TGFML (thank God for my life).

Na, not really.

The 'N' word gets thrown around, a lot

EPIC

Not really a thing any longer. Really cringe worthy when someone uses that phrase

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.