Is NBC NHL coverage killing the game

North Buffalo

Has the lack of peime time playoffs and network TV as well as live streaming killing the game we all love. Me personnally would love access as a package thru the NHL via internet access to the playoffs. I only have internet cancelling my cable because it cost too much and not giving what I wanted anyway. But NHL streaming of games I love, so why not for the playoffs?? This thread was inspired by comment posted on the schedule announcement of the conference finals on The NHLs website https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-playoffs-conference-finals-schedule/c-280638428?tid=280202816

Discuss.

Edited by North Buffalo

The nature of the NBC deal, giving them a monopoly, pretty much guarantees that streaming will not be more accessible for the duration. I hold scant hope the next one will be better.

It would be best for the consumer (and probably the league) to see if they can get more partners (ESPN, Fox, somebody) in. Again, don't hold your breath.

This has come up a lot lately. It's kinda like being at Wendy's and complaining that you can't get a Whopper.

It wasn't until ESPN that we could see as many out of market games as we could, even for the playoffs. Even then, though, you had to pay for ESPN.

FTR, I have never watched more playoff hockey than since NBC took it over.

NBC paid a ton of money to the NHL for the TV rights, and being a cable company as well (Comcast), they're not going to make it easier for people to turn off cable and go internet-only. Maybe that's short sighted in the long run but it's the way they're playing it. To a degree, I think they have to; NBCSN probably isn't a big draw without the exclusive rights to hockey when negotiating with cable carriers. Carries would start dropping it if people could get games online.

And yeah, it sucks. Next year if the Sabres are in the playoffs, I have some big decisions to make in terms of cable (I don't have it now, and don't really want it back outside this one thing)

NBC paid a ton of money to the NHL for the TV rights, and being a cable company as well (Comcast), they're not going to make it easier for people to turn off cable and go internet-only. Maybe that's short sighted in the long run but it's the way they're playing it. To a degree, I think they have to; NBCSN probably isn't a big draw without the exclusive rights to hockey when negotiating with cable carriers. Carries would start dropping it if people could get games online.

And yeah, it sucks. Next year if the Sabres are in the playoffs, I have some big decisions to make in terms of cable (I don't have it now, and don't really want it back outside this one thing)

If you can spend less at the bar than a year's worth of cable (or even two months plus installation) then I'd go that route.. or find a friend.

I think the locked in TV deals are coming to an end however.

Nobody wanted hockey. NBC is the only network to offer a TV deal when they were shopping their wares after the lockout. ESPN tried to lowball them and when they were turned down ESPN basically buried the NHL refusing to promote and showing only sparse highlights.

Has the lack of peime time playoffs and network TV as well as live streaming killing the game we all love. Me personnally would love access as a package thru the NHL via internet access to the playoffs. I only have internet cancelling my cable because it cost too much and not giving what I wanted anyway. But NHL streaming of games I love, so why not for the playoffs?? This thread was inspired by comment posted on the schedule announcement of the conference finals on The NHLs website https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-playoffs-conference-finals-schedule/c-280638428?tid=280202816

Discuss.

YES, it is.  I haven't watched the playoffs the last few years, partly due to the fact that the Sabres haven't been involved, but mostly because I have no way to watch the games.  It's a travesty that even the Stanley Cup Finals are now primarily broadcast on NBCSN and not NBC.

Nobody wanted hockey. NBC is the only network to offer a TV deal when they were shopping their wares after the lockout. ESPN tried to lowball them and when they were turned down ESPN basically buried the NHL refusing to promote and showing only sparse highlights.

Yep. I think NBC saved it and is making it bigger than it ever has been.

Do we really miss the days of it being on the Outdoor Life Network, or has everyone forgotten about that?

Edited by SwampD

You have to be more specific re: "lockout" :wallbash: .

At least it's still not on "Outdoor Life Network" sandwiched between huntin' and fishin'.

Do we really miss the days of it being on the Outdoor Life Network, or has everyone forgotten about that?

Damn, you beat me too it.

I remember that, but back that the NHL streaming package included the first two rounds of the playoffs.

This makes no sense.

I was in the hospital 4 out of 5 nights last week for a chronic condition, and I streamed EVERY playoff game on my laptop.

The NBCSports LIve Extra feed was outstanding.  And it was FREE.

I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

Edited by BuffalOhio

This makes no sense.

I was in the hospital 4 out of 5 nights last week for a chronic condition, and I streamed EVERY playoff game on my laptop.

The NBCSports LIve Extra feed was outstanding.

... because you have cable!  Not every one does (or wants to).

Unless I'm mistaken, that was still Comcast.

I'd bite your hand off for the opportunity to either buy channels a la carte or buy full online access. Since sports is pretty much keeping cable alive at this point, not likely. Heck, even HBO and soon, ESPN are going over the top and selling direct. That having been said, the golden egg will not be scrambled u till absolutely necessary.

Edited by Sabres79

This makes no sense.

... because you have cable!  Not every one does (or wants to).

Correct, the first thing you probably had to do was log in with your TV provider info.

You have to be more specific re: "lockout" :wallbash: .

At least it's still not on "Outdoor Life Network" sandwiched between huntin' and fishin'.

Damn, you beat me too it.

well it was supposwd to be verses and have more exclusive nhl content but that venture failed

This makes no sense.

For some reason I am blocked???

For some reason I am blocked???

Do you have cable at home, I only have internet thru my cable co. And NBC asks who my provider is and then blocks me because I am internet only.

At the end of the day somebody has to pay to watch the games be it live or on television. If not the league could not survive and nobody would get to watch hockey. I pay and I watch as much hockey as I want to every day and i'm ok with that honestly.

I'd bite your hand off for the opportunity to either buy channels a la carte or buy full online access. Since sports is pretty much keeping cable alive at this point, not likely. Heck, even HBO and soon, ESPN are going over the top and selling direct. That having been said, the golden egg will not be scrambled u till absolutely necessary.

Until we know how the FCC's oversight of the internet plays out (still very new and 1st court cases still aren't completed), the obits for cable & satellite are likely premature.

IMHO, what is killing the game is the fact that defense has outpaced offense, and the league hasn't tweaked the rules recently (or effectively) to restore the advantage to offense.

Yup. I remember in 2005/6 3 out 4 games were fun. In 2015/16 I would say 1 out 4 games are fun.

At the end of the day somebody has to pay to watch the games be it live or on television. If not the league could not survive and nobody would get to watch hockey. I pay and I watch as much hockey as I want to every day and i'm ok with that honestly.

The league makes more money from advertising because X number of ppl watch, than it does from you paying to watch the game. 

Yup. I remember in 2005/6 3 out 4 games were fun. In 2015/16 I would say 1 out 4 games are fun.

The league makes more money from advertising because X number of ppl watch, than it does from you paying to watch the game.

x number of people paid to watch also

The '06 run was televised exclusively on OLN, was it not?

Playstation has begun to offer a service similar to the a la carte option you're describing. I have yet to check it out, but as someone without cable it's on my list of things to do.  

x number of people paid to watch also

But that isn't the point. You are implying that because you pay to watch hockey the league survives but the league survives because X number of people watch hockey so the league can charge X amount for ads and Y amount to NBC to carry the games.  The league isn't making the majority of their cash because we pay to watch the game on TV they are making that money in ad revenue and sponsorships. 

According to a report I found the NHL made 447million in just sponsorship revenue in 2014/2015 

http://www.sponsorship.com/iegsr/2015/06/01/NHL-Sponsorship-Revenue-To-Total-$447-Million-In-2.aspx

The NHL makes 433million per year from the Rogers TV deal alone if you spread it out over the course of 12 years.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.