Is NBC NHL coverage killing the game

North Buffalo

The way the game is played is killing the game, not the network it is carried on.

I read these forums. I want the Sabres to win. I follow stories around the league. I love to look at the stats at the end of the year.  Fantasy General manager is one of my favorite pastimes.  But you know the one thing that is different with me than it was in the past?  I hardly watch the games anymore.  

I find the news, the rumors and the RESULTS of the game interesting...but whenever I try to watch an actual game, I am bored with it.  Its either after all these years....I'm not seeing anything that I haven't already seen....or the game has just gotten really, really boring to watch.  I'm guessing its a bit of both, but mostly that the game is boring.

Give me a 7-4 game with 70+ shots and I'll be happy.  The more goals the better, as long as it doesn't get so out of hand to resemble an NHL all star game.

Honestly, the only way I think I come back and start watching hockey as much as I used to is:  1.  Get the national games on network TV (at least once a week).  2.  Rule changes for a LOT more scoring  3.  Sabres need to be a playoff caliber team.

Good post.  I think the NHL has done a lot of smart things since the 2004 lockout, but I continue to be dismayed by its unwillingness and/or inability to adjust the rules to enhance offense. 

Good post. I think the NHL has done a lot of smart things since the 2004 lockout, but I continue to be dismayed by its unwillingness and/or inability to adjust the rules to enhance offense.

The league continues to think they want you to be entertained with one goal games that go down to the last second. By knocking down the GPG average to about five goals total and make it so the average goaltender has a 945 save percentage, you're more likely to watch the game in its entirety. When, in actuality, it's a matter of watching it at all. If you happen to catch your favorite team play a super exciting game that kept you glued to the TV for two and a half hours, you're probably safe to skip the next four games because the odds are pretty slim there will be another one for a while.

And I agree, the networks aren't killing the game. But they sure as hell aren't helping the cause.

Good post.  I think the NHL has done a lot of smart things since the 2004 lockout, but I continue to be dismayed by its unwillingness and/or inability to adjust the rules to enhance offense. 

It is downright irrational -- a form of some madness, really.

Goals, schmoals. With more an more people cutting off cable, having 3 of the first 4 games of the SCF on cable (including a Saturday night) is killing the game more than anything else for me.

The dinosaurs in the NHL headquarters and the dinosaurs who own teams think that clutch and grab hockey is "traditional" and they are just "lettin the guys play" which is crap. 

Increasing goal scoring on it's own won't make the game more entertaining.    For example, today is primarily a game of get the puck low then back out high to the D and hope a long shot from the point either finds it's way in or creates a scoring chance.    That said, while shrinking goalie equipment even further will help increase number of goals, it won't change the way the game is played.   If anything, it will only encourage more shots from the point through traffic as the primary source of goal scoring.... BOOOOORRRRRING!         

Increasing goal scoring on it's own won't make the game more entertaining.    For example, today is primarily a game of get the puck low then back out high to the D and hope a long shot from the point either finds it's way in or creates a scoring chance.    That said, while shrinking goalie equipment even further will help increase number of goals, it won't change the way the game is played.   If anything, it will only encourage more shots from the point through traffic as the primary source of goal scoring.... BOOOOORRRRRING!         

This is a very good point.  I would like be interested in fundamental changes, such as restrictions on shotblocking and/or having the "long change" in the first and third periods. 

However, I think calling more penalties and reducing the size of goalie equipment would be a good start.

I'd still say that if you increase goals, ANY kind of goals, that gets you half way to where you want to go.  In todays game, when a team has a 2 goal lead, it feels like the game is often over.

Even if the goals aren't any more exciting, I'll start by taking more of them simply to get a 'back and forth' flow of scoring.  Give me goals, any kind of goals...and also work on getting a better flow.

• 1 month later...

This isn't a perfect solution, but the cord cutters in at least a couple of markets are finally getting a way to access NBC and NBCSN through a new Sling service for $20/mo:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2909572/streaming-services/sling-tv-channel-guide-all-the-programming-and-all-the-restrictions-all-in-one-chart.html

http://blog.sling.com/announcements/nbc-networks-now-available-on-new-multi-stream-service-sling-blue/

Unfortunately game access for regional sports programming is tied to your billing zip (good for in market fans, not for people like myself) and NBC's local coverage is only available for now in a few markets (not including Buffalo).  Hopefully they'll add to the list as they go on, though... incremental progress.

Edit: NBCSN is also not on-demand, which is a bit of a pisser.

Edited by biodork

This isn't a perfect solution, but the cord cutters in at least a couple of markets are finally getting a way to access NBC and NBCSN through a new Sling service for $20/mo:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2909572/streaming-services/sling-tv-channel-guide-all-the-programming-and-all-the-restrictions-all-in-one-chart.html

http://blog.sling.com/announcements/nbc-networks-now-available-on-new-multi-stream-service-sling-blue/

Unfortunately game access for regional sports programming is tied to your billing zip (good for in market fans, not for people like myself) and NBC's local coverage is only available for now in a few markets (not including Buffalo).  Hopefully they'll add to the list as they go on, though... incremental progress.

I've got your back next season, don't worry.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.