UFA College Defenseman Casey Nelson signs with Sabres

inkman

I've really liked the way Nelson navigates the ice with the puck on his stick. Some of this is because our defense corps is largely inept at this, but he seems comfortable enough stick handling where he can survey the ice while moving, then make a smart play with the puck. It's only been two games, but those two games on the point in the offensive zone have been smoother than our non-Risto Dmen. Will it continue? Who the hell knows, but it's a skill I really like to see and I'm pleasantly surprised he's displaying it.

It's been a promising start for sure. If they do get a Fowler brought in next year that can allow the top pairing to eat 25+ nightly to go along w/ having a 4F PP could leave room for him or Guhle (especially if Pysyk gets traded).

MAG's memory is still too fresh to annoint him just yet though. ;)

MAG's memory is still too fresh to annoint him just yet though. ;)

You mean the guy who didn't have his first NHL point until his 10th game, which took place over 3 years after his first NHL game?

(Yeah, I know you're probably referring to his playoff performance, 7 points in the 7 game series against Philly in 2011.)

You mean the guy who didn't have his first NHL point until his 10th game, which took place over 3 years after his first NHL game?

(Yeah, I know you're probably referring to his playoff performance, 7 points in the 7 game series against Philly in 2011.)

Probably?!? That playoff series had him annointed by many.

How many goals have been scored against us while he was on ice? Cullen just owned him in the corner last game. Promising start for sure and I guess the book on him was great offensive skills but bad defensively. He can't stay bad defensively and stay in NHL, imo

Pysyk is an interesting pairing with him. Neither are really physical but they get the puck moving most times

How many goals have been scored against us while he was on ice? Cullen just owned him in the corner last game. Promising start for sure and I guess the book on him was great offensive skills but bad defensively. He can't stay bad defensively and stay in NHL, imo

Pysyk is an interesting pairing with him. Neither are really physical but they get the puck moving most times

I think this is Pysyk's natural role on a team (perhaps even ours). Granted, Pysyk's a couple years away from being a savvy vet himself, but long-term I see him as a #5 who is an ideal partner for the next kid. If the kid is an offensive/rushing type, if the kid is chomping at the bit to go hit someone at the blue line, it doesn't matter. Pysyk will be a solid (if unspectacular) guide who's in the right place and helps the kid learn the ropes for 13-15 minutes/game.

The boy just needs to eat. And work out. I like his interviews; he's an exceptionally humble kid. I shall root for his success.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/3/22/11279636/minnesota-states-casey-nelson-signs-with-buffalo-sabres

Nelson is the quintessential example of a college late-bloomer. In his USHL Draft year as a high school sophomore, Nelson stood 5'6". When he graduated from high school, in his NHL Draft year, he was only 5'10". But after growing to 6'2" post-high school, Nelson had a break out season in his third year of junior with the Johnstown Tomahawks of the NAHL and earned an offer to Minnesota State.

Was reading this write up about him. he was only 5'6" in  Highschool and wasn't his full size till college (he's listed as 6'2").  So his finesse skills came from the fact that a small kid had no other choice but to depend on finesse to be effective, then he grew quickly. Yeah he definitely needs to catch up to his frame in regards to size, but I bet he'll be 10lbs of muscle stronger by next season. 

Very encouraged by our recent College FA signings

Edited by ddaryl

With him being a RHS, what about putting him on the 3rd pair and giving him 2nd pair PP time? I mean if his defensive game is only mediocre. With his skating he should be able to learn positioning and gap control. At the very least you get a 3rd line guy who can be on the 2nd pair in case of injury. If you can find a solid 4/5 defender who is a good stay at home guy that would be perfect for Nelson.

I like him more than when he first signed but I also worry about the MAG or Foligno type of thing occurring.

Would much rather see him w/ Gorges while he learns the NHL game. Hopefully they have a D-man to pair w/ Risto who's name isn't Josh in October so that could happen. Will be an interesting last 5 games & training camp watching to see if he can surprise & earn a spot on the big club out of the gate.

Would much rather see him w/ Gorges while he learns the NHL game. Hopefully they have a D-man to pair w/ Risto who's name isn't Josh in October so that could happen. Will be an interesting last 5 games & training camp watching to see if he can surprise & earn a spot on the big club out of the gate.

Brent Seabrook?

Give him some time to learn the speed of the NHL game and learn how to use his size better while gaining some weight . He was  late bloomer and is really still learning how to use his size

GMTM on how the Nelson signing came about, also some other stuff. You can listen to the full interview at the link as well.

http://www.wgr550.com/Tim-Murray-on-Schopp-and-the-Bulldog/22622883

Murray highlighted on the process they used to get in touch with Casey Nelson. He stated that he reached out to Nelson to join development camp, which Nelson declined. “He got a text from us everyone once in a while to say that we’re still here,” Murray said.

Edited by LGR4GM

GMTM on how the Nelson signing came about, also some other stuff. You can listen to the full interview at the link as well.

Murray highlighted on the process they used to get in touch with Casey Nelson. He stated that he reached out to Nelson to join development camp, which Nelson declined. “He got a text from us everyone once in a while to say that we’re still here,” Murray said.

Worth listening to the whole thing.

Talks about Kane and how he had a slow start, but was overall happy with him and thought he was one of the hardest working guys on the team for 2/3 of the year. Mentions his tardiness and how they had a long chat about it. Mentioned he needs to be a better team mate and often turns up 5 minutes before practice and laces up and goes out - no warm up or stretches - and he needs to appreciate others can't do that. Apparently some guys on the team were apprehensive about him before the season due to reputation. Interestingly it sounds like no one has issues with his on ice behaviour but he can be cold and closed off when not on the ice and he needs to work on that. Sounds like he doesn't really trust people or let the in.

Wants Lehner to be fitter but understands he couldn't work out much due to injury. Handled being a starting goalie well. Needs to work harder in every practice - but said thats a problem with all young goalies and usually takes a few years. Goalies don't need to be the best player, but the hardest working player. You don't need days off just because you're playing lots

Edited by ThirtyEight

Thanks -- just listened to it.  GMTM also mentioned a couple of times that Nelson is a good skater and has a high hockey IQ.  It sounded to me like GMTM expects him to be a full-time Sabre, possibly as early as next year.

Thanks -- just listened to it.  GMTM also mentioned a couple of times that Nelson is a good skater and has a high hockey IQ.  It sounded to me like GMTM expects him to be a full-time Sabre, possibly as early as next year.

I got that also.

Especially with the *.....not sure if he will be a 1-2 or 5-6 pairing...* comment

The *5-6* I automatically took as if he figures he has Franson's spot next year if nothing else.

I got that also.

Especially with the *.....not sure if he will be a 1-2 or 5-6 pairing...* comment

The *5-6* I automatically took as if he figures he has Franson's spot next year if nothing else.

Interesting, and very possible.  I wouldn't be surprised though if Franson stays in the lineup and Pysyk is either traded or ends up fighting it out with Franson and/or Nelson for 5/6/7 priority.

He's a really good skater, especially backwards. He stood out a couple of times last night.

Interesting, and very possible.  I wouldn't be surprised though if Franson stays in the lineup and Pysyk is either traded or ends up fighting it out with Franson and/or Nelson for 5/6/7 priority.

If they draft Matthews, Laine, or Puljujarvi I would assume Pysyk and a forward are packaged in a deal for a decent LHD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.