UFA College Defenseman Casey Nelson signs with Sabres

inkman

He was on the ice for all three of the goals we scored today.  (And the Jets' second.)  Pretty nice debut.

He's +1 in the stats.  If he was out for one of the WPG goals, he could only have been out for two of the Buffalo goals.  I just checked the game summary; he wasn't on the ice for the Fasching goal; he must have jumped off before the goal was scored.

Also noticed in the box score that our best faceoff man was Larsson at 71%.  Noice.

Edited by Robin Egg

He's +1 in the stats.  If he was out for one of the WPG goals, he could only have been out for two of the Buffalo goals.  I just checked the game summary; he wasn't on the ice for the Fasching goal; he must have jumped off before the goal was scored.

Also noticed in the box score that our best faceoff man was Larsson at 71%.  Noice.

He got an assist on the Fasching goal and I remember seeing him in the celebration for the other two goals.  Weird.  Not sure what the discrepancy is in that +/-.

He got an assist on the Fasching goal and I remember seeing him in the celebration for the other two goals.  Weird.  Not sure what the discrepancy is in that +/-.

Unless I'm badly mistaken (I know it won't be the first time), he was on the ice for all 5 goals today.

I explained it earlier:

If you look at the Game Summary, Dmen on the ice for the Fasching goal were 3 & 55. Risto slipped on for Nelson just before the goal was scored, apparently.

Unless I'm badly mistaken (I know it won't be the first time), he was on the ice for all 5 goals today.

Nope.  He was on the ice for the 2nd WPG goal and the 2nd and 3rd Buffalo goals (even though he got an assist on the 1st Buffalo goal, he had just left the ice and Risto replaced him).  Thus he was +1 for the day, with 1 Assist.

Watch the video.  The puck pops out of a pair of players (one from each team) in the Buffalo corner, up to Pysyk.  The Buffalo player in that pair is Nelson.  As the play moves up ice, you can see him wave to the bench and skate toward the door.  When the goal is scored, Risto is in the celebration at the WPG net, having just replaced Nelson.

Edited by Robin Egg

It was the dude's first NHL game and was put on the PP.  I'd say he did better than our mouse-potato eyes tell us he did (well, I thought he look perfectly NHL-level, especially when you consider this was his first NHL game...ever). 

Skates really well, look really nervous. I bet he spends all of next year in Rochester. He did not look ready for nhl, imo

Agree with you Sauve. I saw multiple whiffs with the puck. He also didn't seem to have a ton of power behind his passing. I attribute much of that to being nervous though. He's grossly under weight for his height. A strong power forward will break this guy in half. GMTM will season him up a year or two in ROC.

Agree with you Sauve. I saw multiple whiffs with the puck. He also didn't seem to have a ton of power behind his passing. I attribute much of that to being nervous though. He's grossly under weight for his height. A strong power forward will break this guy in half. GMTM will season him up a year or two in ROC.

He is 23 years old, all though he is a late bloomer I really don't think he needs more seasoning after the summer.    He either makes it next year or he never will.

It was the dude's first NHL game and was put on the PP. I'd say he did better than our mouse-potato eyes tell us he did (well, I thought he look perfectly NHL-level, especially when you consider this was his first NHL game...ever).

??? He wasn't out of place. He didn't make any really impressive plays, either. Bogo was just on our #2 PP so I don't think hom being put on the PP really means that much.

If he's a bigger Rudy, that might be enough already to be a 3rd pairing D-man.

While I thought he was nervous, good skater, wirery strong, good puck sense despite whiffs, pounds may come, may take few more years but he seemed when not being too nervous good in puck and had a couple nice passes. Puck moving D Sabres could use especially on PP. Give a few games to settle in and lets see how he does. He wasnt soft in corners, thought stronger than Psyk. Had a little more nasty too.

qwksndmonster, on 27 Mar 2016 - 3:38 PM, said:

??? He wasn't out of place. He didn't make any really impressive plays, either. Bogo was just on our #2 PP so I don't think hom being put on the PP really means that much.

If he's a bigger Rudy, that might be enough already to be a 3rd pairing D-man.

??? back at you.  I was responding to robin and sauve.  I think he looks pretty solid and may be, at worst, on the call-up roller coaster next season.  But DD has been putting him on the PP the past two games, and must see something there to do make that decision.

I've really liked the way Nelson navigates the ice with the puck on his stick. Some of this is because our defense corps is largely inept at this, but he seems comfortable enough stick handling where he can survey the ice while moving, then make a smart play with the puck. It's only been two games, but those two games on the point in the offensive zone have been smoother than our non-Risto Dmen. Will it continue? Who the hell knows, but it's a skill I really like to see and I'm pleasantly surprised he's displaying it.

??? back at you.  I was responding to robin and sauve.  I think he looks pretty solid and may be, at worst, on the call-up roller coaster next season.  But DD has been putting him on the PP the past two games, and must see something there to do make that decision.

I just wonder if when he was lured to Buffalo to sign it was with a promise he'd get ice time. We really had more to offer that way since we are not going to make playoffs 

??? back at you. I was responding to robin and sauve. I think he looks pretty solid and may be, at worst, on the call-up roller coaster next season. But DD has been putting him on the PP the past two games, and must see something there to do make that decision.

The mouse potato remark was strange.

Nelson looks good so far. He was definitely better than Pysyk last night.

I just wonder if when he was lured to Buffalo to sign it was with a promise he'd get ice time. We really had more to offer that way since we are not going to make playoffs 

Ala Rudy

I've really liked the way Nelson navigates the ice with the puck on his stick. Some of this is because our defense corps is largely inept at this, but he seems comfortable enough stick handling where he can survey the ice while moving, then make a smart play with the puck. It's only been two games, but those two games on the point in the offensive zone have been smoother than our non-Risto Dmen. Will it continue? Who the hell knows, but it's a skill I really like to see and I'm pleasantly surprised he's displaying it.

Defensemen who can skate well look good in Bylsma's system.    His north/south, quick up, join the rush system requires mobile defensemen who can make a difficult first pass, instead of just hinge, hinge, hinge short breakout pass.   It's at most one hinge (if any) and then a 20-35ft breakout pass to neutral ice, and then join play.    It's a good system if you have the players who can execute it.    Guhle should thrive as well.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.