GDT: Calgary @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 3-3-2016

WildCard

Really glad to see the offensive explosion, even though I attribute it almost entirely to Calgary's defense and goaltending being godawful. 

Johan is so great. Gionta had a fantastic game, and I've said this a few times, but I really, really like Foligno this year. I remember in the offseason, Murray bizarrely put him in his list of six or so core guys, and a bunch of us were a little surprised. This must be the guy Murray could see. Those three together make an awesome third line. 

Bylsma, if you switch Zemgus with Kane, not only do you help Jack and Sam get better, because the WOWY stats show that Girg+Eich is better than Kane+Eich while Sam works with anyone, but Kane-AHL guy-AHL guy also will be better at defending and have a better shot at flipping the ice and getting chances. You'd make two lines better with one switch. Just doooo it.

Risto was the early-season Risto again. Love him.

Eichel has been really great recently, but really snake-bit, and I'm glad to see him break out of the goal slump. What a freaking perfect shot. I think he can move that thing by just a couple inches if he wants to, he's deadly accurate. I think I, and many fans, are already taking for granted a lot of the things he does, but his zone entries are poetry on ice. Everything he does is beautiful to watch, and he has a skating posture that we will vividly be able to recall decades from now. Thank goodness he's ours.

I've been very intrigued by D4rk's posts regarding the location of his zone entries, so I've been watching, and like he says, it seems like this team only uses the perimeter of the ice. Early this season I remember there being a lot of complaints that we didn't use our point men enough in the offensive zone. It was cycle a bit with 3 forwards, lose the puck, change. Now they use the point men more, but are still just cycling. Nobody really drives the net or uses the center of the ice. Plays like Gionta's pass to Larsson for his goal seem to be a rarity, we either can't do them or don't try them. I wish I knew more x's and o's because I'd be able to put better words to what I'm seeing, but oh well. Glad to see things open up a bit. 

Precisely. I really like it. Some alpha male ######.

I didn't catch the interview, so can you describe this a bit more? I notice that he likes to start answering before the question is finished.

In the past, we've had team captains (I'm lookin' at you, Steve Ott) and plenty of other players say they need the fans to pick the team up sometimes at home. Tonight, 19 year old rookie Jack Eichel, said the team has to take more pride in owning the home ice and give the fans something to cheer about.

I'm still sad ROR is out, and I think he's this team's next captain, but one nice thing with him out has been Jack strutting his leadership cred a little. Love it.

My prediction was close in its final :)

Just really happy with the win, just wish the Sabres of the 2nd/3rd would show up more often than the Sabres of the 1st. Gionta seems to like playing more after the All Star break, like last year he's racking up points. 

I predicted 5-2 on account of the numbers of times I had to hit my right shoe (home) vs left shoe (away) on the ground to get the snow off of it before walking into class. I am very superstitious when it comes to sports.

I didn't catch the interview, so can you describe this a bit more? I notice that he likes to start answering before the question is finished.

Hard to describe. He does it in all interviews, so you'll see it eventually. He quietly murmurs "yeah ... yeah" as a question is being asked. I just like the vibe it gives.

Sent my kid to bed just before the Foligno shorty.  Told him to get up and watch.. then sent him back... Calgary scored before I was back to the TV.. then D-Lo.  I felt bad.... I mean.. it was only a few more minutes and he would have seen all the scoring..

So I bought tickets for the Minny game on Saturday.  (it's also his bday tomorrow... soooooo)

He wants to hear "Here we go now..." in person.  He said so tonight.. and every other night he hears it on TV.  How can I not buy the tickets?

No analysis of the game from me.  I am enjoying a team better than last season and refuse to get swept up in the rush to critique.  I remember people hating Lehner and now people love him.  These are hockey guys and the vast majority of them know what they are doing.  There are things that will confuse people... it's okay.

Here we go now...

Here we go now...

Here we go now...

Yep.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.