TRADE: Jamie McGinn traded to Anaheim

Hoss

I love that the loudest voices all year, complaining about where the team is have turned into these guys.

I'm unsure as to who this post is addressing.  Those who are comfortable with losing Mcginn and missing the playoffs or those who see this as another lost season?

I'm not inclined to be so dogmatic about other people's complaining. 

Anyway, it's a rational position to say that the team had more than enough assets and did not really need to move McGinn, and the team should have kept him in favour of allowing for a stronger finish to the season, better locker room atmosphere (I remain a little concerned over Eichel's evident fondness for McGinn), and the start of a winning culture.

The assumption here being that any of that feel good stuff matters. 20 games of Jamie McGinn, he goes to free agency and it's a coin flip if he re-signs. Is that really any more of a contributor to a "winning culture" or "locker room atmosphere"? 

Doubtful. 

Oh FFS, Get off your horse.

Get out from under yours. 

I'm unsure as to who this post is addressing.  Those who are comfortable with losing Mcginn and missing the playoffs or those who see this as another lost season?

Obviously it's the former.

I want to add again that I fall into both of those groups.

It would be nice to watch a team that has a chance  prayer.... Not that Mcginn would have led the sermon.

roll video of Miller getting run..... Gionta getting pinwheeled ....... Bogo headfirst into the boards..... "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

Miller gets run and nobody does a thing. Gionta gets pinwheeled and Foligno drops the gloves and pounds the guy. Bogo gets nailed and the whole team jumps in.

I see progress

Nobody is lamenting the loss of McGinn. We are lamenting the loss of yet another season, with no end sight to Darcy's suffering anywhere on the horizon.

The suffering is already less — far less than last year, even if you only measure suffering in wins and losses.

I see  the end coming. the loss of McGinn not only doesn't detract from that end, it does a small part to help ensure that when it arrives it will stay around for awhile.

I would rather a team bottom out, acquire top young talent, and then build around them (the Blackhawks model), then be so-so for decades but never in a position to get a top talent (the Bills QB situation). This is the first post-bottom out year. The best players are the young talent. The underachievers have been the veterans, many of whom won't be on the team in two years.

If they want to complain about the loss of McGinn then they need to finish that line of complaint. Take it to its logical end. Renounce the rebuild. Renounce the fruits of the tank. Renounce GMTM. Renounce the entire process that we're in the midst of before it has been seen through.

Anything less is just whining. 

Many of us have been renouncing it the entire time. Did you just join the board today?

The assumption here being that any of that feel good stuff matters. 20 games of Jamie McGinn, he goes to free agency and it's a coin flip if he re-signs. Is that really any more of a contributor to a "winning culture" or "locker room atmosphere"? 

Doubtful. 

And yet those are still better odds than a 3rd becoming something worth anything.

HOORAY FOR THE FUTURE!!!!…

…May you never come.

The suffering is already less — far less than last year, even if you only measure suffering in wins and losses.

I see  the end coming. the loss of McGinn not only doesn't detract from that end, it does a small part to help ensure that when it arrives it will stay around for awhile.

The suffering is much, much less if you take into account the overall effort and competitiveness.  16 one goal games, as has been mentioned.  The Sabres are bad, but not full-tank all hands off deck bad.  The margins are becoming finer; let's see what this team looks like next October.

Until then, of course, it's a matter of perspective.  I understand those who are frustrated with the losing.  I've been quite encouraged with how far this team has come (while not exactly happy with results).  Hopefully they go down swinging for the next month, which is all that can be asked at this stage.

Doubtful. 

I don't think there's an assumption. There's a hunch, maybe. A feeling. I don't dismiss it out of hand. 

Many of us have been renouncing it the entire time. Did you just join the board today?

And yet those are still better odds than a 3rd becoming something worth anything.

HOORAY FOR THE FUTURE!!!!…

…May you never come.

Ignorance. McGinn was going to free agency. We got a free draft pick out of it. We added value to the dice roll. Everyone is satisfied. Except the fans of course.

I'm already resolved to the idea that they will contend for the playoffs next year; they may not make the cut. A bubble team.

I see no need for McGinn Lamenters to get off the boat. They're welcome to stay aboard and complain.

I think I'd sooner put Bogosian in that cohort than Kane. But I think the way you see it is also the way GM TM sees it. I'm really not sold on the guy (Kane, that is).

You'd label Bogosian as a high end piece? You're killin me Smell! I don't think even his biggest apologists view him as more than a 2nd pair guy...unless you want to carry the "biggest apologist" flag :p

None of us are advising GM TM, of course.

I will volunteer to be Murray's Vice President of Common Sense. Although to this point he hadn't demonstrated he needs one.

Fine, I'll be Bylsma's VP of Common Sense.

Ignorance. McGinn was going to free agency. We got a free draft pick out of it. We added value to the dice roll. Everyone is satisfied. Except the fans of course.

FUTURE!!

FUTURE!!

FUTURE!!

Gooooo00000OOOOOO FUTURE!!

This is no different than the politics thread. The ones calling others intolerant, prejudiced and unreasonable are, in fact, the ones who are ACTING intolerant, prejudiced and unreasonable.

I'm certainly one of the targets of this (and I suspect Swamo's video), but I've had one post. It was long but it was even-keeled and fair, I thought. It wasn't over the top... I presented my thoughts and moved on.

This is no different than the politics thread.  The ones calling others intolerant, prejudiced and unreasonable are, in fact, the ones who are ACTING intolerant, prejudiced and unreasonable. 

Who are these ones? I honestly feel that if people are finding certain posts from posters as you describe instead of vaguely alluding to them, they should quote or name them so that poster can either defend themselves or so others can agree or disagree that they are being "intolerant, prejudiced and unreasonable"

If Jamie McGinn is that important to this team then we have MUCH bigger problems to word about.

I'm not sure that follows.

I think there is certain value to be found in both the trade for a conditional 3rd and the value of keeping him around for the balance of Eichel's rookie season. It's a question of which option had more value (I think the pick did), and whether we can dismiss the value of the other option (I don't think that should be done).  

You'd label Bogosian as a high end piece? You're killin me Smell! I don't think even his biggest apologists view him as more than a 2nd pair guy...unless you want to carry the "biggest apologist" flag :P.

Easy there. Someone - was it T Web - recently posited the Chicago model of holding onto 4 key forwards and 3 d-men. For present purposes, I can live with Bogosian being the leader of our second pairing. I'd sooner think of Bogosian as the second pairing anchor than I would think of Kane as one of our 4 key forwards.

Easy there. Someone - was it T Web - recently posited the Chicago model of holding onto 4 key forwards and 3 d-men. For present purposes, I can live with Bogosian being the leader of our second pairing. I'd sooner think of Bogosian as the second pairing anchor than I would think of Kane as one of our 4 key forwards.

Early in the year I posited he could be our Hjalmarsson. Well let me tell you, I know Nicklas Hjalmarsson as a player, I've seen his game and looked at his stats. Zach Bogosian is no Nicklas Hjalmarsson.

Maybe he can be an expensive Oduya. Maybe.

Early in the year I posited he could be our Hjalmarsson. Well let me tell you, I know Nicklas Hjalmarsson as a player, I've seen his game and looked at his stats. Zach Bogosian is no Nicklas Hjalmarsson.

Maybe he can be an expensive Oduya. Maybe.

Fair deuce.

Did I imagine that Oduya got abused last night for a sweet goal? So soon after being undressed by Armia?

I'm not sure that follows.

I think there is certain value to be found in both the trade for a conditional 3rd and the value of keeping him around for the balance of Eichel's rookie season. It's a question of which option had more value (I think the pick did), and whether we can dismiss the value of the other option (I don't think that should be done).  

This is a different conversation though, and not the one that has been argued in this thread. The argument here has revolved around the entertainment value of Jamie McGinn. The loss of McGinn is being correlated with a loss of entertainment value. 

If people are worried that Jack Jack is going to suffer because he can't live without Jamie for the rest of the season then by all means let's have that discussion. We can even call Ghost back. I'm sure he'd love to postulate on Jack's psychological state. 

I'm certainly one of the targets of this (and I suspect Swamo's video), but I've had one post. It was long but it was even-keeled and fair, I thought. It wasn't over the top... I presented my thoughts and moved on.

You were not the target of my post. Your thoughts on all of this have never changed or been over the top.

If future success is not the goal, then what is? 

It would be success now. I don't think we are there yet but I understand the frustration of others.

Yep.

We all know that moving McGinn was the right move. Just don't ask me to be happy about it,… or even indifferent.

Here we are yet again on the day after a trade deadline, and instead of being excited about watching our new arrival play tonight, pushing us into the playoffs, I'm being told to be excited about a player who may or may not make the NHL in 4-6 years. Awesome.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.