Teams that Pickup the Rotten Core

WildCard

So, I've started to notice a pattern around the league, and it's this: Teams that take our old, rotten core, have become just that, rotten. For clarity, the 'core' refers to what we all commonly remember as the post Drury-Brier Sabre core. For current rosters, off the top of my head, we have:

Minnesota: Pomminstein, Vanek

Winnipeg: Armia, Stafford, Myers, Lemieux

Nashville:  Gaustad

Vancouver: Miller

St.Louis: Miller

Montreal: Vanek

NYI: Vanek

I know I'm missing some, but that's essentially it. All teams that are, after the addition of our guys, terrible. With, of course, the exception of Nashville. Not only that, but in each case outside of Nashville, those guys are core players as well; they are major parts of those franchises. It amazes me that nobody learned from what took the Sabres years to learn with these guys

Edited by WildCard

On the flip side...

Minnesota: have had the best years in franchise history lately. Pominville was a part of that once he joined the team.

Winnipeg: too early. They've been bad since Atlanta and made the playoffs last year in an unlikely run.

Nashville: has embraced Goose in the 4th line role and are a Stanley Cup contender if the one question they didn't think would be an issue gets answered (goaltending).

Vancouver: aging team added an aging goaltender.

St. Louis: Miller could've been their answer but they threw a bandaid on their goalie problem hoping it would lead to a Cup.

How did Armia and Lemieux get elevated to 'core' status? Miller just got old. For a while, he was elite. 

For me the two I hold most responsible are Roy and Vanek. Always seemed to me they score the 4th or 5th goal in a 5 - 2 win. But it was tied 2 - 2 late in the 3rd -- nothing from either of them. Although to be fair, the Sabres could use Vanek's slap shot in the shoot outs

To answer the question on why these other teams didn't learn from us...

I think they were going for the 'good talent needs a change of scenery' situation, which obviously hasn't panned out too well for these teams. St. Louis on the other hand, just bet it all on Miller and...well.....you know what happened. 

Kinda on/off topic: Our new core is going to blow this league away in a few years.

Edited by Neo's legacy 61

How did Armia and Lemieux get elevated to 'core' status? Miller just got old. For a while, he was elite. 

For me the two I hold most responsible are Roy and Vanek. Always seemed to me they score the 4th or 5th goal in a 5 - 2 win. But it was tied 2 - 2 late in the 3rd -- nothing from either of them. Although to be fair, the Sabres could use Vanek's slap shot in the shoot outs

Armia's up there because Ducky insists he's a 2nd line winger. And Lemieux is up there for I don't know why honestly, probably doesn't belong

On the flip side...

Minnesota: have had the best years in franchise history lately. Pominville was a part of that once he joined the team.

Winnipeg: too early. They've been bad since Atlanta and made the playoffs last year in an unlikely run.

Nashville: has embraced Goose in the 4th line role and are a Stanley Cup contender if the one question they didn't think would be an issue gets answered (goaltending).

Vancouver: aging team added an aging goaltender.

St. Louis: Miller could've been their answer but they threw a bandaid on their goalie problem hoping it would lead to a Cup.

Winnipeg and Minnesota went the same path though, no? Grab some Buffalo players, go on a heroic 2nd half run, get bounced early, and then become terrible the next season. 

I added NYI for Vanek to that list, and Montreal as well. 

Our two goalies from last year are playing alright

Didn't include them because everything post Miller/Vanek wasn't ever really a core, it was just a collection of tank players

WTH happened to Derek Roy's career. Never the same after the quad injury?

I think he went Nashville, Dallas, Vancouver?, and Edmonton. Not in any particular order. He has the same problem all of these guys have: leave Buffalo and become average NHL players

How do you explain the Kings? They liked picking up Sabres scraps....

In almost all of those cases, I would hardly blame the former Sabres as the cause of their woes, except maybe Vanek in Minny, he has been disappointing.....

Winnipeg isn't losing because of Myers and Stafford, Vancouver's biggest problems aren't goaltending and Nashville has been cup contenders up u til this year when Rinne has fallen apart

As for this current "core", they could end up ripping up the league just like Edmonton's "core" has been......

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with every ounce of this.

That was fruitful

The Islanders aren't terrible, and even if they are, how would it be Vanek's fault?

They were the year they picked up Vanek. I know he wasn't their roster flaw, but it seems a pretty common factor that teams who pick up our main core guys from back then, and rely on them as core guys, end up bad

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with every ounce of this.

Yep. No team that picked up a "rotten core" player had as bad of a season, twice, as we have had since those players left,… ever.

Put that in your Karma Sutra loose leaf.

Edited by SwampD

Yep. No team that picked up a "rotten core" player had as bad of a season, twice, as we have had since those players left,… ever.

Put that in your Karma Sutra loose leaf.

Although that's true.  Are you more optimistic of the Sabres core/prospects going forward today or Minnesota?  Vancouver?

Although that's true.  Are you more optimistic of the Sabres core/prospects going forward today or Minnesota?  Vancouver?

Sabres, by far.  But Vancouver was nearing the end of its window, and knew it.  And Minnesota, I just don't think that team is going to be able to make a serious push in that division for many years, and I think that team knows that.

Stafford and Myers were the reason the Jets made the playoffs last year. Vanek to the Isles was basically the start of their climb back to a respectable franchise, and Vanek was great in Montreal until their coach stopped using him on the top line. For most habs fans that was a huge signal that they had a major coaching problem. I think all of your examples are giant reaches, aside from Vanek and Poms in Minn. They also have two guys on 100mil contracts though that are bigger targets than Vanek and Poms.

Edited by Bruce Smith

Sabres, I think. Don't really know what is in the pipeline for those other teams, though, and teams are built to win many different ways. I have no more confidence that the Sabres will be a SC contender any sooner than any of those teams.

That really doesn't have anything to do with the thread, though. To say teams get rotten when they take our players, and then list seven teams, six of which made it to the playoffs with those players, seems a bit of a stretch. I don't need to see how bad other teams are doing in order to feel better about the garbage we've been subjected to in the recent past, cuz it doesn't really make me feel any better.

…and playoffs?! Yeah, I'll take that kind of rotten any day.

Sabres, by far.  But Vancouver was nearing the end of its window, and knew it.  And Minnesota, I just don't think that team is going to be able to make a serious push in that division for many years, and I think that team knows that.

Minny reminds me of the Sabres post Briere/Drury until 2013.  A middling team trading for veterans trying to make a push but usually ending right around the playoff line.  I realize how terrible the last two seasons are but I'll trade those for the next 10 of ours vs the next 10 for Minny.

Also, this link shows who has what picks for the upcoming draft.  Minny doesn't have second, third or fifth.  Vanek and Pommers are major pieces to that core. 

Sabres, I think. Don't really know what is in the pipeline for those other teams, though, and teams are built to win many different ways. I have no more confidence that the Sabres will be a SC contender any sooner than any of those teams.

That really doesn't have anything to do with the thread, though. To say teams get rotten when they take our players, and then list seven teams, six of which made it to the playoffs with those players, seems a bit of a stretch. I don't need to see how bad other teams are doing in order to feel better about the garbage we've been subjected to in the recent past, cuz it doesn't really make me feel any better.

…and playoffs?! Yeah, I'll take that kind of rotten any day.

I was responding to your point about none of those teams having as bad of seasons as we've had the last two years.  My point is that none of the teams that have the old core players are doing anything but spinning their tires.  Save for Nashville (but Goose isn't really a huge part of that team).

Edited by Derrico

Minny reminds me of the Sabres post Briere/Drury until 2013.  A middling team trading for veterans trying to make a push but usually ending right around the playoff line.  I realize how terrible the last two seasons are but I'll trade those for the next 10 of ours vs the next 10 for Minny.

Also, this link shows who has what picks for the upcoming draft.  Minny doesn't have second, third or fifth.  Vanek and Pommers are major pieces to that core. 

I was responding to your point about none of those teams having as bad of seasons as we've had the last two years.  My point is that none of the teams that have the old core players are doing anything but spinning their tires.  Save for Nashville (but Goose isn't really a huge part of that team).

Pommer and Vanek also are both on the wrong side of 30.  They will not be with that team when it is ready to make a real push. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.