OT - Promotion Available

inkman

Where do I start? I've been at my current employer for 17 years. I've worked my way up from the bottom to a department manager which I've been for the last 3 years. I took this position thinking that it was on par with our other facilities management positions as far as pay and visibility. I was wrong on both fronts. I'm getting anywhere from 75-90% of what my peers make in our other organizations.

So the same position I currently have opened up in another facility. I inquired about the pay as I figured it would be similar. Well, it turns out I can make 10-20% more than what I'm making now. Sounds like a no brainer.

Here is the catch. For the first time in 30 years of employment, I really love my job. The people, the culture, the environment, my boss. It's all great. The only problem is I'm in a bad spot financially. This promotion almost single handedly fix all my monetary issues.

I've had a window into this new position as I filled it temporarily a few years back. I hated it. I hated the culture, the environment, everything about it.

I'm interviewing for it tomorrow...

FWIW, I took a massive pay cut almost exactly two years ago to escape my previous job and take my current one. 

Positives: I no longer want to shoot myself in the face on a daily basis and with my wife's support and blessing we're still living indoors and eating regularly. 

Negatives: Losing 25% of my salary hurt, no mistaking that.

Outcome: Mental health and personal satisfaction outweigh the slimmer wallet.  For me, anyway.  If money were to become an issue, as you've indicated it is for you, then the scales might just tip the other way, though.  It's a tough spot.  Hopefully you end up in a good spot.

Where do I start? I've been at my current employer for 17 years. I've worked my way up from the bottom to a department manager which I've been for the last 3 years. I took this position thinking that it was on par with our other facilities management positions as far as pay and visibility. I was wrong on both fronts. I'm getting anywhere from 75-90% of what my peers make in our other organizations.

So the same position I currently have opened up in another facility. I inquired about the pay as I figured it would be similar. Well, it turns out I can make 10-20% more than what I'm making now. Sounds like a no brainer.

Here is the catch. For the first time in 30 years of employment, I really love my job. The people, the culture, the environment, my boss. It's all great. The only problem is I'm in a bad spot financially. This promotion almost single handedly fix all my monetary issues.

I've had a window into this new position as I filled it temporarily a few years back. I ###### hated it. I hated the culture, the environment, everything about it.

Do you see the new job as opening doors to a better one in the near future that are closed at the current job?

If not, then I'd say the no-brainer is to stay. Happiness trumps all.

Do you see the new job as opening doors to a better one in the near future that are closed at the current job?

If not, then I'd say the no-brainer is to stay. Happiness trumps all.

There really is no telling. It may as its a higher volume business with more stability and larger customers but we are just starting to open doors at my current org that could lead to really big things. I would be in a position to get credit for laying the groundwork with a multi billion dollar corp.

In the medical field, stress is evident every freaking second, I've taken a lower paying position with a different group to be happier, money is nice, but at the end of the day, if you can get by with what you're making now and you're happy, I think you've answered your question.

Besides you have 17 years seniority, that has to count for something.

Mental health and personal satisfaction outweigh the slimmer wallet.

Happiness trumps all.

if you can get by with what you're making now and you're happy, I think you've answered your question.

Such a tricky spot. It's easy to say from the outside, but it does sound to me like you're better off where you are. The bump you would gain by moving to the other shop may seem like the answer to your current problem(s), but it sounds as though you'd be taking on other problems you don't currently have if you moved over there.

I've had a window into this new position as I filled it temporarily a few years back. I ###### hated it. I hated the culture, the environment, everything about it.

If the interview goes well take some time to think it over. 

Is the extra money worth the extra bullsh*t? 

If you were ever going to leave the company completely, which position would give you a better chance somewhere else? 

Which position will give you the most satisfaction and when? Now, or in the future? 

Money can't buy happiness, but lack of money sure can buy misery.

Is the extra money more for comfort or does it lean towards necessity? Are you in a bad financial spot such that you can't afford cable with 3 premium packages and a 10 GB phone plan, or bad spot such that you have to eat less or low quality food and can't keep up with the demands of your growing kid? If you can answer this, then you're close to answering what you should do.

If you need the money, you need the money. But you're the only one who can determine how much you really need it. I also think it's probably true that if you want to look for a different job in the future, I'll probably be easier to find an equivalent pay job that brings more happiness (when current happiness is low) than a 15% higher paying job that maintains a higher level of job satisfaction.

I kinda knew it was going to come down to how much I value my happiness. We just (like this morning) rolled out a plan to work 4 day work week for the rest of 2016. Things can change but its a good deal for now. If I need to, I can deliver pizza Fridays and Saturdays to the tune of $120-150 a week. It's humbling as a 45 year old dude to have to resort to that but it's probably worth the miseryless existence I would have.

That Aud Smell, on 11 Feb 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

Such a tricky spot. It's easy to say from the outside, but it does sound to me like you're better off where you are. The bump you would gain by moving to the other shop may seem like the answer to your current problem(s), but it sounds as though you'd be taking on other problems you don't currently have if you moved over there.

From my perspective, it depends on your age and your future plans and your current fiscal situation. You mentioned that you've been in the workforce for 30 years. My assumption then is that you are in in your late 40's - 50. If you haven't thought about retirement plans much, now is probably the right time. Throughout my career, I was never afraid to take a chance for a higher paying opportunity. The long-term goal was always to do better financially to get closer to true independence sooner.

The choices lead to some great experiences and some crappy ones. But I found that as long as I was moving "up" in compensation and responsibility, it invariably would lead to something better in the future.

It must also be noted that I never needed to have a great work environment to be happy. When that did happen, it was always a plus. But I didn't let that stand in the way if a chance to do better for myself and my family came around. We've always had a strong enough network of friends and family outside of the workplace that having fun at work just was not important to me. Also, you can always find a way to make the best out of your job by focusing on what you do enjoy about it.

My $.02 (and I don't know your personal situation at all) is to go for it. Having less financial stress on you and your family will make up for the extra BS that you may have to deal with at work. and if it leads to even better opportunities, you may be able to kick-back a few years earlier and that ain't a bad thing.

I kinda knew it was going to come down to how much I value my happiness. We just (like this morning) rolled out a plan to work 4 day work week for the rest of 2016. Things can change but its a good deal for now. If I need to, I can deliver pizza Fridays and Saturdays to the tune of $120-150 a week. It's humbling as a 45 year old dude to have to resort to that but it's probably worth the miseryless existence I would have.

I would also offer that you follow through with the interview.  It's possible the culture is changing or you could be the change agent for the culture.  Interviews are essentially free and an informed decision is always better than an uninformed one.  Perhaps you could mention it to the interviewer.  If it blows up the interview, so be it.  You risked nothing.  If it leads to an honest discourse, then maybe you consider it.

From my perspective, it depends on your age and your future plans and your current fiscal situation. You mentioned that you've been in the workforce for 30 years. My assumption then is that you are in in your late 40's - 50. If you haven't thought about retirement plans much, now is probably the right time. Throughout my career, I was never afraid to take a chance for a higher paying opportunity. The long-term goal was always to do better financially to get closer to true independence sooner.

The choices lead to some great experiences and some crappy ones. But I found that as long as I was moving "up" in compensation and responsibility, it invariably would lead to something better in the future.

It must also be noted that I never needed to have a great work environment to be happy. When that did happen, it was always a plus. But I didn't let that stand in the way if a chance to do better for myself and my family came around. We've always had a strong enough network of friends and family outside of the workplace that having fun at work just was not important to me. Also, you can always find a way to make the best out of your job by focusing on what you do enjoy about it.

My $.02 (and I don't know your personal situation at all) is to go for it. Having less financial stress on you and your family will make up for the extra BS that you may have to deal with at work. and if it leads to even better opportunities, you may be able to kick-back a few years earlier and that ain't a bad thing.

I think this is easier said than done. Compartmentalizing a job you hate in a way that prevents you from bringing that stress home is not for everyone. 

I think this is easier said than done. Compartmentalizing a job you hate in a way that prevents you from bringing that stress home is not for everyone.

When I was filling in over there it was some dark times. It's also a much more rigorous schedule. They run 24 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. My current Org is going to a 20 hour day 4 days a week. There is comfort knowing we aren't running all day and all night every damn day.

At least go to the interview.

I am. I want to express my desire for more corporate visibility and upward mobility. I will make a slightly ridiculous salary demand and see if they bite.

When I was filling in over there it was some dark times. It's also a much more rigorous schedule. They run 24 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. My current Org is going to a 20 hour day 4 days a week. There is comfort knowing we aren't running all day and all night every damn day.

I am. I want to express my desire for more corporate visibility and upward mobility. I will make a slightly ridiculous salary demand and see if they bite.

4 on 3 off is so good. I wish I could work that schedule.

That Aud Smell, on 11 Feb 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Interesting stuff here.

To expand on that a bit: I was never one that felt the need to be defined by my job. It was simply what I did to earn enough money to do the things that were really important to us. A means to an end if you will. The time (and quality of that time) I spend with those closest to me is the most important thing.

Also, I said "... a great work environment...". If it truly sucked, I made the best of the situation until I could move on.

I'm not sure that you find the majority of people are fortunate enough to find true fulfillment in their career/work/job and also make enough money to take care of what's necessary. So there are almost always trade-offs. It's ultimately up to each individual to decide what's most important and to plan accordingly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.