Forums that have good mobile experience???

SDS

Looking at some numbers today and I realize I need to really address it better than I have. Both TBD and SS get 38% of their traffic from mobile and about 12% tablet (although this is less of a concern). I know the mobile view of the forum is pretty spartan. This also dovetails in that this version of the software is EOL in 14 months.

My choices are probably to upgrade IPB to 4.0 series or move to Xenforo. IPB has treaded water for years and while not a dying platform it isn't growing either. Xenforo is growing by leaps and bounds taking share away from IPB and vBulletin.

Does anyone visit another forum that has really a good mobile experience? Here are the two mobile skins (if you are reading this on mobile - else it is just their default desktop skin)) for IPB and Xenforo:

IPB:

https://community.invisionpower.com/

Xenforo:

https://xenforo.com/community/

Would be interested in your thoughts.

Of the forums I visit, I prefer the mobile experience of this site. I think the sparse quality makes it easier to manage everything in the smaller space.

This. It's clean, clutter free, and simple to navigate.

Out of the two choices, I prefer invisionpower.

Edited by sodbuster

Tablet shouldn't be much of a concern at all, as you imply, because it's easy to view the regular page in a browser window.

I've never had an easy time using my phone to access SS.  This is the only forum I really participate on, so I don't have an example of a better one.  But I'm all for change!

Of the forums I visit, I prefer the mobile experience of this site.  I think the sparse quality makes it easier to manage everything in the smaller space.

I'll third this notion.

I am pretty new to the smartphone thing and this is the only forum I visit.

I do like the mobile version that we have, my problems stem from my less than proficient (at the moment) typing skills on my BlackBerry, as I have demonstrated a few times.

If a change is mandated by the end of life time frame you mentioned I prefer the IPB look when I clicked on the link using my laptop, but I will take a look on my phone.

I also agree that the full version works well on my tablet.

I am now on my phone.

I have to say that the Xenforo look on mobile is better than the other one. It's close to the one we have now.

Also, why did I have to log in to the mobile version when I was already logged in to the site on my laptop?

Different IP's, I would assume

I am now on my phone.

I have to say that the Xenforo look on mobile is better than the other one. It's close to the one we have now.

Also, why did I have to log in to the mobile version when I was already logged in to the site on my laptop?

no cookie set on your mobile device.

anyway I like the current mobile experience.    

I have no complaints about the current mobile version except for the lack of a multi quote function. I also kinda like the minimalist appearance for data reasons.

Anyway, I will concede both you posted are more visually appealing, but don't really have a preference either way. I'd probably just go with the growing platform.

TrueBlueGED, on 04 Feb 2016 - 5:13 PM, said:

I have no complaints about the current mobile version except for the lack of a multi quote function. I also kinda like the minimalist appearance for data reasons.

Wait a minute, don't you have a problem typing on the little keyboards?  You want to give yourself more of a chance at being frustrated?  Like an artist, embrace and overcome the limitations!

TrueBlueGED, on 04 Feb 2016 - 5:59 PM, said:

I have at least 3 typos per post anyway, may as well go big :lol:

Seriously.  I would welcome any forum software on mobile if it could somehow improve the posting experience.

I use the desktop version on my phone.

Must be one of those big screen phones.

The full version is hard enough to see on a tablet.

Seriously.  I would welcome any forum software on mobile if it could somehow improve the posting experience.

I agree with this, but my mobile posting issues are not really with the software.

Must be one of those big screen phones.

The full version is hard enough to see on a tablet.

I agree with this, but my mobile posting issues are not really with the software.

Note 4. Ain't too bad, just lots of zooming and unzooming. I'm lost without all the desktop features.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.