Sabres @ Rangers 1/25/16, 7:30 PM on NBCS

LGR4GM

You don't take recent success into account when determining whether or not a player is worthy of starting?

He's got a .936 save percentage since 11/1. It's safe to say that's pretty up there among other goaltenders.

See above, 6 of his last 13 and 3 of his last 6 game his save percentage has been below .910 and more then half of those below .900

Edited by tom webster

See above, 6 of his last 13 and 3 of his last 6 game his save percentage has been below .910 and more then half of those below .900

That's how averages work. Luongo's been under .910 seven of his last seventeen games........... and he's an all-star.

What makes a starter, how the previous team used him?

Lehner and Johnson have both played two full seasons. One was a backup because he played behind Rask, the other was a starter because the original starter got hurt.

I like Lehner just as much as Johnson, if not more. I just don't think that "oh he's a career backup" mentality flies with me. If you're playing well, you start.

You don't take recent success into account when determining whether or not a player is worthy of starting?

He's got a .936 save percentage since 11/1. It's safe to say that's pretty up there among other goaltenders.

How recent do we want to go here? Lehner has a .949 SV% in his last two starts. And, just for the sake of keeping it fair, CJ has a.967 SV% in his last two, but the difference is basically negligible. Both guys would still be crying out for goal support. You really can't go wrong with either guy at this time, I just personally want to see Lehner as much as possible just to see what we have in him, but he's coming off a major injury so the rest is important for him at this point as well.

How recent do we want to go here? Lehner has a .949 SV% in his last two starts. And, just for the sake of keeping it fair, CJ has a.967 SV% in his last two, but the difference is basically negligible. Both guys would still be crying out for goal support. You really can't go wrong with either guy at this time, I just personally want to see Lehner as much as possible just to see what we have in him, but he's coming off a major injury so the rest is important for him at this point as well.

That's exactly what I was getting at when I mentioned that maybe Johnson is starting simply because he's been playing well. I agree, it's irrelevant if the team can't score goals. Although they do score more when Chad's in net (by a significant amount compared to Ullmark/Lehner) which was an argument the Miller fans always used, they scored more for Miller because they trusted him more. Maybe, at this point, they trust Johnson more and are more comfortable opening up the offense when he's in net.

Out of goaltenders with 1000+ minutes played, Johnson is 17th in goal support, Ullmark was 39th............. out of 41 goaltenders.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201516&sit=all&pos=goalies&minutes=1000&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=F60&sortdir=DESC

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Unsure what happened to our wonderful thread starter and I do not have time to do this justice.

Passed out on Nyquil. You definitely did it justice, thanks for doing it  :beer:

Per Harrington

Eichel said wants to help 26 any way possible: "If I could, I'd like to take a slapshot off his ass." (He means deflection for a goal. Heh)

Straight out of 'Goon', eh? I like it. I wonder what incentives Mrs.Moulson has for Jack if he helps Moulson off the scoring sheet. Hamburger Helper? A log? And I wonder how loud Jack can get his headphones to drown our Moulson's rewards

That's how averages work. Luongo's been under .910 seven of his last seventeen games........... and he's an all-star.

What makes a starter, how the previous team used him?

Lehner and Johnson have both played two full seasons. One was a backup because he played behind Rask, the other was a starter because the original starter got hurt.

I like Lehner just as much as Johnson, if not more. I just don't think that "oh he's a career backup" mentality flies with me. If you're playing well, you start.

I don't have time to look up Luongo's season stats but assuming you are right, 7 out of 17 is a lot better then 13 out of 13.

As far as averages go, that is precisely why averages can be mis-leading. Your starting goaltender cannot be bi-polar. He has to be more consistent. I have no idea if Lehner can be a number one but Johnson's season has proven what his career should have already told us, he is not starter material.

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1573&id=937937&cmpid=sm-tw-video

DD pregame 

- On Jack's hurtles/fatigue: DD looks for Jack's demeanor on the bench; how engaged he is on the bench vocally usually indicates how engaged he is. Jack/young guys aren't used to flying/going everywhere at 5am. It translates into him skating, him moving his feet. If he's not talking on the bench, he's not moving his feet. Late November it was evident he wasn't engaged. He's been engaged since Christmas break

- Moulson's drought: On putting him with Jack, he offers support to Jack on that line, and now maybe Jack should be there for Matt. 

Edited by WildCard

I meant 13 out of 26. Again, I would have to examine Luong's overall numbers. Johnson's clearly show he is at best a 50% on, 50% off kind of guy. Again, all guys fluctuate, the true starters do a lot better then 50/50

That's why I included only the last three months because Johnson was coming back from an injury as well and had barely played any in months. He didn't have the benefit of a conditioning stint. 8 of those 13 happened in the first month. 

The goal support thing is a pretty important stat, along with the overall record. Don't ignore those. 

That's why I included only the last three months because Johnson was coming back from an injury as well and had barely played any in months. He didn't have the benefit of a conditioning stint. 8 of those 13 happened in the first month.

The goal support thing is a pretty important stat, along with the overall record. Don't ignore those.

That is not correct, those 8 were not in the first month. 3 of them happened in his last 6 starts and 13 of his last 26.

Sorry, SEVEN of the first nine (the games in October) were under .910. Does that negate the point that the majority

Nevermind Tom, you win. I made a seemingly innocent comment that maybe Chad is starting just because he's been playing well and right on cue you challenge me. And then proceed to get upset when I defend myself. Maybe you like the discussion, maybe you just don't like me. Either way I've got better things to do. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Sorry, SEVEN of the first nine (the games in October) were under .910. Does that negate the point that the majority

Nevermind Tom, you win. I made a seemingly innocent comment that maybe Chad is starting just because he's been playing well and right on cue you challenge me. And then proceed to get upset when I defend myself. I've got better things to do. 

Bwahahahahahahaha

Confuscious say, he who run behind car get exhausted.     Rangers should have heavy legs from yesterdays road game in Ottawa.    Sabres need to jump on them early if they want to give themselves a chance.

Confuscious say, man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.

Go Sabres.

Why is goal support and record important for a goalie? They go hand in hand, and really don't dictate anything about his play

Holy ###### there has to be some sort of Corsi for goalies....yup, here we are.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2016_goalies.html

Quality Starts and Quality Start %: 

This statistic was developed by Robert Vollman, author of the Hockey Abstract series of books devoted to statistical analysis in hockey. He defined a quality start (QS) as a game when the goalie stops more than the median save percentage for the League (currently .917) or gives up less than three goals while stopping .885 or more of shots faced.

And, hold on to your hats here, cause guess what?  Johnson is below average in BOTH of these categories, ranking 26th in QS, and 46th in QS%. And, wanna know how we know these stats are useful? Because the conventional thinking on who the top goalies in the league are appear at the top of these lists:

QS:

Crawford, Schneider, Lundqvist, Holtby, Quick

QS% gives you a simlar top 5, although I'm only considering those goalies with above 20 GP.

There's also ASV% (Adjusted Save Percentage)

The above-mentioned statistics treat all shots equally, and any goaltender at any level can tell you that's not the case. At war-on-ice.com they have introduced Adjusted Save Percentage (ASV%), which weights a goalie's save percentage based on the distance of the shot faced. Simply put, the closer the shot, the more likely it is to go in. By factoring distance into each shot, the ASV% provides an additional layer of context about the quality of shots faced by each goaltender. If a goalie's ASV% is lower than their standard save percentage, it should indicate the mainstream number is slightly inflated because he faces easier shots. Conversely, a higher ASV% indicates he is facing tougher shots, at least based on distance

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=744483

Who are our top 5 goalies here (played above 1000 minutes):

http://war-on-ice.com/goalietable.html

Reimer: ASV% = 95.30, SV% = 95.29 => (closer shots)

Mrazek: ASV% = 94.61, SV% = 94.79 => (further shots)

Schneider: ASV% = 93.78, SV% = 94.0 => (further shots)

Lundqvist: ASV% = 93.85, SV% = 93.99 => (closer shots)

Luongo: ASV% = 93.47, SV% = 93.94 => (further shots)

Holtby: ASV% = 93.72, SV% = 93.85 => (closer shots)

Where is Johnson on this list? 18th. Oddly enough, right ahead of Tuukka Rask

Johnson: ASV% = 92.25, SV% = 92.54 => (easier shots faced)

Rask: ASV% = 92.28, SV% = 92.53 => (easier shots faced)

This also happens to be Rask's worst season he's ever had as a starter I believe, and Johnson's 2nd best 

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.