Sabres @ Rangers 1/25/16, 7:30 PM on NBCS

LGR4GM

But it's 15 total qs versus 39. That's a large extrapolation.

So what is this line to where stats become a relevant part of the discussion? Those starts are over a third of his career but aren't significant because Rask had so many more, yet it's not enough for everybody to deem him a career backup? 

I do wonder if Johnson never got a fair shake as a starter. I'd also like to see the gaa of the team when he plays to see how good or bad his team has been

I don't know.   Johnson will make some incredible stops, but them let a few softies in.    He's an enigma IMO.  The goal he allowed vs the Coyotes, the one vs I forgot who but it was a late goal from a bad a angle he should've stopped.    He's just not consistent enough making saves he should be expected to make.    His stats look very very good, but when you actually look at the goals he gives up you're like... meh.

So what is this line to where stats become a relevant part of the discussion? Those starts are over a third of his career but aren't significant because Rask had so many more, yet it's not enough for everybody to deem him a career backup?

I think his stat are relevant but I'm not sure they are conclusive. You're saying Rask and Johnson are roughly the same, I don't think the stats can really bare that out because of sample size.

Nobody got upset but you. Most on here have been pleased with how Johnson has played for us, despite the fact that he's a career backup.

Why do you think you get into so many of these arguments? Is it because the board has some sort of vendetta against you? Wait, that's definitely it.

They're not arguments, I keep them as discussions until they decide to make it personal. Take note of the people I get into "arguments"  with, they're usually the same 5 people that are notorious for doing the same to others. There's more than one common denominator here. 

Yeah, that WildCard and Tom Webster, notorious around these parts.

You were referring to everybody in general, as was I.

Actually you were specifically referring to 5ppl.

Edited by LGR4GM

Kathryn Tappen a little easier on the eyes than the MSG crew...

Always enjoyed her back in her NESN days and she is getting better with age.

And hey!  I'll get to see the Sabres in HD tonight!  Feels good to leave the usual 1984 VCR recording quality of NHL Center Ice behind and join the 21st century!

Varone not out for warm ups

You know what that means!

He's been traded!

I think his stat are relevant but I'm not sure they are conclusive. You're saying Rask and Johnson are roughly the same, I don't think the stats can really bare that out because of sample size.

I used those stats to show that he might not be a career backup. So many call him that and all they have to base it on was that one year where he wasn't shuffled around. Since his stats were similar to a Vezina caliber goaltender, perhaps he may not be a career backup. Maybe he has the ability to be a starter for a few years. is save percentage has been great for the last three months. his save percentage was great the year in Boston. His QS% has been in the same range as Luongo, Price, Bishop and Lundqvist over the last three months. Goaltenders go on streaks, but they don't usually last 3 months unless they're fairly good.

Actually you were specifically referring to 5ppl.

Let it go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.