2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

The RFAs are an interesting group. They showed enough to warrant faith moving forward, but most didn't produce the numbers to demand a big hike.

• DLo likes BLo and it likes him. He probably could be had by adding a bit of a cash or an extra year to a 10 per cent raise.
  • Zemgus simply doesn't have the numbers to demand much more than a qualifying raise. He doesn't really have any leverage. Sabres might be in position to get a bargain here.
  • I think Larsson viewed this year as his make or break: either he was going to establish himself or go back to Sweden. I think he has carved out a role, not sure if it is the role he wants. If the Sabres offer him some security with term they may get a good cap hit, particularly since he doesn't have great numbers.
  • Foligno is the only one in line for a bigger raise, given his age, particular skill set and how he has performed this year. This will be the trickiest negotiation.
  • On D, McCabe should get a similar deal to the one Pysyk signed last year.
  • Then there's Risto, who has really helped the cap with his second-half fall. Both sides will want term on this and there are a lot of comparables at $5-6 million per. Where it gets sticky if he thinks he's earned more than that given his role in the team.

I'm with Freeman, in that one of the forwards — along with Franson, Ennis and Pysyk — is available in trade for that elusive first-pair puck-moving LHD.

Johnson making it sound like the opportunity to start will be the primary factor in his decision of where to go as a UFA. Gonna be an interesting situation to watch.

Chad Johnson loves Buffalo, but of course objective is to be a starter. He feels he's had big year, so he'll make opportunity-based decision

Johnson reiterates he wants to be a starter. Seems to know Lehner is #Sabres guy: "There's a lot invested in him and he's a younger guy."

Johnson said he's picked out a few teams that could use goaltending help. He told me playing near home in Calgary would be fun.

Per Joe Yerdon

Perfect! Well, perfect for him, not so much for us :lol:

They have to pay Panarin, no? Also, I did not even think about Calgary :lol:

Dallas?

I'd imagine the Hawks just find a taker for Bickell with salary retained, or buy him out. He's going into the last year of that contract, so might be movable now.

Dallas would make a ton of sense if they can find a way to offload Lehtonen or Niemi. But with $10 million tied up in those two, can't see any other way they add a goalie.

These are the 45 players, drafted between 2005 and 2015, that exceeded his category teammates by more that 15 in plus/minus (forwards led all other forwards on team, defensemen led all other defensemen).

SIDNEY CROSBY 2004
MATT NISKANEN 2013
MARC-ÉDOUARD VLASIC 2004
PATRICK MCNEILL 2005
BRENNAN TURNER 2009
MARK MITERA 2011
CORY EMMERTON 2005
VLADIMIR ZHARKOV 2008
DAVID MCINTYRE 2008
PAVEL VALENTENKO 2010
LOGAN PYETT 2007
THOMAS HICKEY 2008
MAX PACIORETTY 2014
P.K. SUBBAN 2009
CADE FAIRCHILD 2011
PAUL POSTMA 2008
ERIC O'DELL 2007
CALVIN DE HAAN 2009
STEFAN ELLIOTT 2010
BRIAN DUMOULIN 2009
CODY SOL 2011
STEPHEN JOHNS 2014
BRENDAN GALLAGHER 2010
BRANDON DAVIDSON 2009
BEN MARSHALL 2009
SEAN COUTURIER 2010
SEAN COUTURIER 2009
DOUGIE HAMILTON 2012
JAMIE OLEKSIAK 2014
BRANDON SAAD 2011
TYLER WOTHERSPOON 2012
BLAKE COLEMAN 2010
ZACH YUEN 2011
FREDRIK CLAESSON 2013
MATTHEW PECA 2012
SLATER KOEKKOEK 2013
RYAN PULOCK 2011
OLIVER BJORKSTRAND 2014
JAN KOSTALEK 2014
TYLER GANLY 2013
VACLAV KARABACEK 2011
ROLAND MCKEOWN 2013
RINAT VALIYEV 2013
RICHARD NEJEZCHLEB 2012
IVAN PROVOROV 2015

I have no idea what conclusion to draw

I'm on Blue's side of this argument.  I put a lot of effort into trying to predict future success based upon commonly available data.  If you give plus minus any value in assessing a draft pick, you draft a lot of Cory Emmerton and Eric O'Dell. 

After a slow start that lasted through Christmas, the club turned it on in the final 41 games of the season. They played at a 94 point pace, which would put them in the playoff race if they kept that pace up over 82 games. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/buffalo-sabres-season-a-step-in-the-right-direction/

I'm on Blue's side of this argument. I put a lot of effort into trying to predict future success based upon commonly available data. If you give plus minus any value in assessing a draft pick, you draft a lot of Cory Emmerton and Eric O'Dell.

True, +/- is a pretty useless stat in most instances. If you're comparing three players in the draft, as a GM, and are undecided, you don't just go with the one with the best +/-. But, if you're comparing similar players on the same team playing a majority of the same games together, it definitely can be a relevant stat. For instance, of the Panthers top 9 in points the 2nd worst +/- player is Trochek who is a +15. Then there is Bjugstad who is the worst of that bunch at a -8. All one needs to do is watch to determine that he is the biggest defensive liability of the top forwards, the +/- numbers confirm that.

Good and bad, I think. 25th in the league in SA-CF%, if I'm remembering this right, which is of course bad. But, it was a monumental leap over last season, which is good.

Leap or no, for a .500 team, or close enough, I expected our possession game to be at least in the late teens, early 20s

Makes me wonder what DD's stats were with Pitt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.