GDT: Florida @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 1/5/2015

WildCard

Contrary to what you may believe about Miller, based on numbers, Miller, Ullmark and Johnson are all pretty even.

The myth that Miller was some sort of great, we were spoiled to have him, goalie is apparently still alive and well.

Are we really going to debate that Miller is on the same level as a rookie goaltender and a career backup?

Are a bunch of washed up vets really doing anything to prevent this?

Yes, and here is why:  The younger guys are bound to get frustrated and impatient.  Our vets are setting the standard.  Sure they're terrible on the ice this year, but they come to the rink every day and set the example for work ethic and professionalism that the kids need to see..... in spite of their collective off year.  This is something I think is lacking in EDM.  I think ROR will prove to be far more valuable than what we see on the ice, for much the same reasons.

look at the numbers dude! they are similar regardless of being a rookie or veteran.  

Similar despite playing hundreds of games more. Sure, Johnson has a better GAA than Miller right now, but he's played 81 career games to Miller's 632. Not to mention Miller played in an era where scoring wasn't off the charts, but much more prevalent. This argument is quite the stretch. Would you honestly say you wouldn't be content or even happy with Ullmark or Johnson or Lehner ending their career here with Miller-like numbers?

Edited by clintwestwood

Yes, and here is why: The younger guys are bound to get frustrated and impatient. Our vets are setting the standard. Sure they're terrible on the ice this year, but they come to the rink every day and set the example for work ethic and professionalism that the kids need to see..... in spite of their collective off year. This is something I think is lacking in EDM. I think ROR will prove to be far more valuable than what we see on the ice, for much the same reasons.

See, I think effective play is necessary for the leadership to make a difference. It's what makes ROR's intangibles so damn awesome. But I just don't believe a guy like Moulson, who can't get his own play straightened out, is having much of a positive impact on the kids.

Similar despite playing hundreds of games more. Sure, Johnson has a better GAA than Miller right now, but he's played 81 career games to Miller's 632. Not to mention Miller played in an era where scoring wasn't off the charts, but much more prevalent. This argument is quite the stretch. Would you honestly say you wouldn't be content or even happy with Ullmark or Johnson or Lehner ending their career here with Miller-like numbers?

Nope if they ended their careers her with Miller like numbers, I would be disappointed because Millers career numbers are average. I and you being fans should want better than that.  

Nope if they ended their careers her with Miller like numbers, I would be disappointed because Millers career numbers are average. I and you being fans should want better than that.

Miller's numbers were always above average relative to the league. There is no reason to compare his 2007 season to league averages in 2015 because the league is different.

See, I think effective play is necessary for the leadership to make a difference. It's what makes ROR's intangibles so damn awesome. But I just don't believe a guy like Moulson, who can't get his own play straightened out, is having much of a positive impact on the kids.

I agree. There's no real standard being set by the vets. Why would the young guys follow their example when there aren't any results?

Honestly, I believe so. Look how much Jagr has helped the Panthers. Granted, yes, he is the ageless wonder, but you can't deny he might be the best trade Tallon has ever made for that team. I don't think Gionta or Moulson just have the same pedigree or vision to teach the younger guys that Jagr has; not that that's exactly easy to come by. But getting, I don't know, Kessler, Lecavalier, Iginla, Eric Staal...those are guys I think can be available and we can bring in to teach the kids more than just hustle, they can teach them where to be on the ice, what to look for, and how to win (well, maybe not Kessler in that department)

Side note, I spent a significant amount of time creepily staring at someone I thought was MODO last night. Then he spoke and I knew it wasn't him, but still I was disappointed. 

Man crush ?

This place is a bit off the rails tonight.  Maybe I'm not as mad because I hit the pond for the first time this year.  Utter perfection.

His positioning in the D-zone was brutal.  And people used to call Myers woodenlegs...

-Jonathan Huberdeau is sick.  The set up for Jagr was a great play: burned Samson, drew the coverage, and hit oldie right in the sweet spot.  The deke on the 4th goal was McDavid-esque.

-Kane with another mixed bag of a game.  He played very hard, got a few bad angle shots on net, and made one or two terrible blind backhand passes.  Spinning and passing it to the other team instead of hitting a wide open #47 on the point really hurt to watch.

-Speaking of Bogosian, his offensive game is not very good.  I think he's actually got some ability, but Bylsma's system is so bad at involving our D-men in 5-on-5 play.

-Seeing McCabe's rookie struggles reminds me how hard defense is.  I feel for the kid, and still think he'll be a good one.  Tough game.

-Eichel had a nice 1st period then didn't do much after that.  Samson was just OK.

-Moulson needs to be on Eichel's wing or in the press box.

I think you're on to something here. I noticed it Tuesday night (and seem to remember it other times) that the D don't skate down past the goal circles very often until the third and the Sabres are down by 2+. Florida scored and suddenly Risto is skating down below the goal trying to make things happen. I suppose it could be Risto taking things into his own hands, but I have to think it's coaching.

Edited by MattPie

Miller's numbers were always above average relative to the league. There is no reason to compare his 2007 season to league averages in 2015 because the league is different.

Miller's average rank in save percentage the nine years in BFLO was 15th. That's average.

You call that average, I call that solid and skewed by a tank that started in 2013.

-For one, Miller wasn't a part of the worst of the tank

-The part of the tank he was part of, his save percentage wasn't any worse than the two previous years. 

-Sabres goaltenders had pretty damn good save percentages during the tank

-If you think an outlier is negatively affecting his numbers for a year then we need to eliminate the only good year he had, because that was also an outlier. 

-He was 19th in save percentage the year he was part of the tank. He was 2nd the only good year he had. Which outlier do you think had a bigger impact? 

-4 of those 9 years he was 18th or worse. 

Honestly, I believe so. Look how much Jagr has helped the Panthers. Granted, yes, he is the ageless wonder, but you can't deny he might be the best trade Tallon has ever made for that team. I don't think Gionta or Moulson just have the same pedigree or vision to teach the younger guys that Jagr has; not that that's exactly easy to come by. But getting, I don't know, Kessler, Lecavalier, Iginla, Eric Staal...those are guys I think can be available and we can bring in to teach the kids more than just hustle, they can teach them where to be on the ice, what to look for, and how to win (well, maybe not Kessler in that department)

Side note, I spent a significant amount of time creepily staring at someone I thought was MODO last night. Then he spoke and I knew it wasn't him, but still I was disappointed. 

Haha, wtf ? :D

I'm not comming over yet buddy, but playoff looks to be yet another years journey dont you think ? its not over yet by far, just saying, and still hoping ofcourse. 

Glad your thinking of me though!  :wub:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.