Sabres survey about MSG broadcasts

Two or less

Did anybody else receive the email from the Sabres asking a bunch of questions about the broadcasts on MSG? Looks like all Sabres insider members got an email. It seems as if they are in the process of making changes to the broadcasts and are looking for input from the fans. Which is cool because i've always felt the broadcasts were a bit weak.

I answered the questions, some of them were strange. It asked how many games I watch on tv per year, but didn't have an option higher than 31-41 games, and I usually catch all but 3 or 4.

I think that's probably because you aren't the fan they need to make changes for. They aren't going to lose your views, so your input matters less, no matter how backwards that is. 

I answered the questions, some of them were strange. It asked how many games I watch on tv per year, but didn't have an option higher than 31-41 games, and I usually catch all but 3 or 4.

Yeah, that annoyed me because I'm in the same boat. However it wasn't as bad as me claiming to have 1 child in my house because there wasn't an option for 0. Do they assume all of their fans have at least 1 child? Whoever made the options for that survey should be fired.

Edited by SabresBaltimore

Yeah, that annoyed me because I'm in the same boat. However it wasn't as bad as me claiming to have 1 child in my house because there wasn't an option for 0. Do they assume all of their fans have at least 1 child? Whoever made the options for that survey should be fired.

That seems a little drastic. It should have been created and proofed by at least a few different people, otherwise you are making the organ-eye-zation look foolish.

I don't see anything wrong with them soliciting their customers for tips to improve the product. I also see this as a way for them to say sorry Dan. It's just not working out. But that only matters if they use the info. Why bother though if they don't.

I ignored the email. All it needs is one question: Does MSG suck?

To which we could all say yes.

I get to compare it to Root Sports (Pittsburgh).  Very similar.

You get to compare it to Philly(?), apples and oranges with local advertising dollars. 

Don't get me wrong, the MSG feed is a giant NYC commercial and it's terrible. But the pre/post game stuff is on par with small city markets IMO.

The broadcast itself is entirely run by the Sabrse/PSE. MSG's only involvement is commercials and the graphics package.

That's what I thought.

But the* local feed* of pre and post game also entails local advertisers. It's not bad, for what it is. If they could double the price of adds, or have more money from game time commercials I'm sure they could do better.

But I still believe their as good as one should expect given the budget/conditions they operate under.

If this was a NYC team in MSG's home studio with $$$'s they spend on commentators and analysis it would be awesome. But the Sabre's are MSG's red headed step child.

Edited by Woods-Racer

You can be pretty much assured Pegs will be launching his own network within two years.

Either that or jumping into one of the other ones such as Fox or ROOT.  I think a ROOT affiliation could turn out well in terms of building a regional sports network including colleges, etc., in the broad region comprised of WNY and WPA.

You can be pretty much assured Pegs will be launching his own network within two years.

What's he going to fill the time with?

Don't start with UB again, either.  There was an article just the other day about how disengaged sports fans are from that school.  Went so far as to suggest that I-AA would be a better choice.

What's he going to fill the time with?

Don't start with UB again, either.  There was an article just the other day about how disengaged sports fans are from that school.  Went so far as to suggest that I-AA would be a better choice.

UB isn't going to be an anchor for content, but there are some local schools (UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Niagara) who could have their content broadcast.

We discussed this extensively in another thread at one point.

Sabres games.

Bisons games.

Roc Red Wings games.

Bandits games.

Americans games.

UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Niagara basketball/baseball/hockey games.

There's plenty of former pros still living in the area for them to have several talk shows.

They should give the Sabres and Bills coaches their own show each week.

They've brought in the woman who spearheaded the Bills 30-for-30 which tells me they want to do some long-form docu stuff.

I'm not sure what the policy would be on them re-broadcasting Bills games later in the week but that's an option to fill a time slot.

I'm not saying this would be enough to generate ad revenues (they'd have to get very creative and be consistent), but there's at least some content to get started. I do believe they're going to try but I don't know if it'll ever be more than just an idea they throw some money at then abandon.

UB isn't going to be an anchor for content, but there are some local schools (UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Niagara) who could have their content broadcast.

We discussed this extensively in another thread at one point.

Sabres games.

Bisons games.

Roc Red Wings games.

Bandits games.

Americans games.

UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Niagara basketball/baseball/hockey games.

There's plenty of former pros still living in the area for them to have several talk shows.

They should give the Sabres and Bills coaches their own show each week.

They've brought in the woman who spearheaded the Bills 30-for-30 which tells me they want to do some long-form docu stuff.

I'm not sure what the policy would be on them re-broadcasting Bills games later in the week but that's an option to fill a time slot.

I'm not saying this would be enough to generate ad revenues (they'd have to get very creative and be consistent), but there's at least some content to get started. I do believe they're going to try but I don't know if it'll ever be more than just an idea they throw some money at then abandon.

The Bisons are televised already.  When is the last time you watched a Bisons game on TV?  And, consider that you, in particular, are not representative of the average sports fan in WNY.  You are particularly engaged in the local sports scene, much, MUCH more than most sports fans.

Same goes for Little Four basketball.  They don't exactly sell out the arena for doubleheaders the way they did in the 60s.

It's all minor-league schlock that isn't going to draw viewers.  

Your last sentence is probably right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.