Sabres survey about MSG broadcasts

Two or less

UB isn't going to be an anchor for content, but there are some local schools (UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Niagara) who could have their content broadcast.

We discussed this extensively in another thread at one point.

Sabres games.

Bisons games.

Roc Red Wings games.

Bandits games.

Americans games.

UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, Niagara basketball/baseball/hockey games.

There's plenty of former pros still living in the area for them to have several talk shows.

They should give the Sabres and Bills coaches their own show each week.

They've brought in the woman who spearheaded the Bills 30-for-30 which tells me they want to do some long-form docu stuff.

I'm not sure what the policy would be on them re-broadcasting Bills games later in the week but that's an option to fill a time slot.

I'm not saying this would be enough to generate ad revenues (they'd have to get very creative and be consistent), but there's at least some content to get started. I do believe they're going to try but I don't know if it'll ever be more than just an idea they throw some money at then abandon.

looks like pretty boring TV...

If everything is in one place and localized with a familiar schedule and a familiar name running the station (I'm assuming it'd be called something like Pegula Sports Network or whatever) I think people would be FAR more likely to watch. I'd be far more likely to watch every single item on that list if I knew where and when it would be on. I'm too lazy to look up what channel the content is on. I think that's a pretty familiar sentiment for many.

I watched Goon again last night, probably for the fourth or fifth time. I didn't like it as much as the first few times. Anyway, I felt a tinge of guilt for things I've said about Rob Ray. Ross Rhea (based on Rob? never considered that before last night) had a poignant little speech with Doug Glatt in the diner. He said something to the effect that, kid, they just want you to bleed, and when the "soldier comes home" they won't care about you anymore.

I want there to be a place for Rob on the broadcasts. He brings some good things. He's not an analyst though. I'd rather see crowd shots, bench reaction and one or two replays (instead of four) after a goal, with no commentary, than what Rob does, which is almost literally a second version of the play by play (here's O"Reilly, he puts the puck behind the net, and here's Reinhart, good job skating behind the net, and passing to O'Reilly...). Maybe give him a minute to come up with something better and break the goal down at the next stoppage.

I watched Goon again last night, probably for the fourth or fifth time. I didn't like it as much as the first few times. Anyway, I felt a tinge of guilt for things I've said about Rob Ray. Ross Rhea (based on Rob? never considered that before last night) had a poignant little speech with Doug Glatt in the diner. He said something to the effect that, kid, they just want you to bleed, and when the "soldier comes home" they won't care about you anymore.

I want there to be a place for Rob on the broadcasts. He brings some good things. He's not an analyst though. I'd rather see crowd shots, bench reaction and one or two replays (instead of four) after a goal, with no commentary, than what Rob does, which is almost literally a second version of the play by play (here's O"Reilly, he puts the puck behind the net, and here's Reinhart, good job skating behind the net, and passing to O'Reilly...). Maybe give him a minute to come up with something better and break the goal down at the next stoppage.

Brad May is doing an excellent job of breaking down plays during the intermissions, by the way.

OK, I'm on a roll here. Nobody touch me! Not a fingah! Does this happen to anyone else... the Sabres score and it's like a dream state sets in? You hear Rob start talking and it's like Charlie Brown's teacher? You feel a little dizzy, like you're trying to walk on a moving train? Faces, grotesque even, come in and out toward you? Maybe a body part tingles? You taste metal. What just happened here?! I mean, we score so rarely, that's how I feel. Maybe the aftermath of a goal should be radio silence, no announcer commentary. Quick shots of fans, the scorer, the bench. Bring up the audio so we can hear the goal song. Make it feel like an acid trip. Am I onto something here or just on something? I for one have no desire to break down the goal at that particular moment and often find any attempt to do so to be distracting.

Everybody loves Ray. Just not his analysis. He's loved throughout the city and people care that he's around. Just get him off my broadcast.

It worked for me.  I took the end of the link off (all the ? =  options and just went with https://onebuffalo.turnkeysurveyor.com/se/50FDBF63649C671908D3097A80A1CA1A7D )

In the comments at the end I said

RJ has lost a step as he's gotten older and with each passing year it becomes more apparent.  When he's having a good game he's one of the best but that's getting less frequent.  The YEICHEL! call is cringe-worthy and embarrassing; I can't stand it.  For that reason alone I can't wait until he retires.

Dunleavy is an okay announcer but when a team scores he doesn't always announce it as a goal.  That needs to be fixed.  (Acceptable for TV, but not for radio.)

I watch much more than 41 games per year on TV.  As a Buffalo area native living in Texas, I haven't been to a Sabres game in Buffalo since the 1970s.  I do occasionally go to a game in Dallas when the Sabres are in town.  That question was kind of puzzling.  The fans that actually go to games are a minority of the fan base.

The majority of my social media and fan interaction is on SabreSpace forums, and on Facebook at DFW Bills Backers group.

Edited by The Big Johnson

What's he going to fill the time with?

Don't start with UB again, either. There was an article just the other day about how disengaged sports fans are from that school. Went so far as to suggest that I-AA would be a better choice.

Have a link to the article handy? For whatever it's worth, I do think UB would be better served with lower level athletics if they could become a power at that level.

• 5 months later...

Not sure where to put this, but Pegula Sports and Entertainment is looking for television staff for two new shows. The one is a two hour hockey program and the second is a three hour football show. Are they simulcasting Hockey Hotline and The John Murphy Show?

Here is the link for those interested ( Hoss?)

http://www.teamworkonline.com/sports/#!/search-sports-jobs?location=&s=pegula&Category=&button.x=0&button.y=0&button=Submit

Edited by BRAWNDO

Not sure where to put this, but Pegula Sports and Entertainment is looking for television staff for two new shows. The one is a two hour hockey program and the second is a three hour football show. Are they simulcasting Hockey Hotline and The John Murphy Show?

Here is the link for those interested ( Hoss?)

http://www.teamworkonline.com/sports/#!/search-sports-jobs?location=&s=pegula&Category=&button.x=0&button.y=0&button=Submit

Interesting. I'd been expecting that they buy WBBZ and put the Sabres on there, simulcast the two radio shows, Bandits, maybe Bisons, some UB stuff, Bingo and Bowling and they can do this! Please make it happen and get the Sabres off MSG.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.