NHL Scoring Problem

Hoss

Sorry but your fancy stats are not view-able without me spending $49 per month.  ​I will accept they are not declining from 2005 and have held steady at around 17500. That is what I think it said around the edges of the fancy stat add that I couldn't get rid of.

My quote from up thread...

It appears to me that the bosses of the owners are not going to games, just my personal observation from watching, because hockey is *boring*.

You can stat me to death on ticket sales, my eye ball test is that fans are not attending. Having season tickets is one thing. Not using them and not having buyers through stub hub or any place like that to unload them when you can't go doesn't seem to be working. It's a gut feeling from seeing empty seats at games.

The other gut feeling. Reporters/journalist that cover hockey are feeling it to. That is why there seem to be more and more pieces on scoring. 

You make a very good distinction between tickets distributed and fannies in the seats. One could say it doesn't matter if people go, because the tickets are sold. But of course when people don't attend, they don't buy hats, beer, popcorn etc. And you would think if the seat isn't used, eventually that person is going to stop buying it in the first place.

But, Woody (I know you're not Racy), everybody has a boss. Gary has 30 of them. I think we have to step away from Bettman and ask why things are the way they are. Do traditionalists wield too much power? Do the owners benefit when scoring is down, because goals cost them money at contract time? Is low scoring a way to even out talent and promote parity, making more teams profiitable?

To both bold I answer in the affirmative. Especially the second one. I think it's perfectly reasonable to think the league views low scoring affairs and the minimization of the talent gap (It's still determinative of course, but it's easy for fans of lesser teams to talk themselves into winning when the typical gap is 1-2 goals instead of 3-4) is a way to ensure "parity" and keep as many fans interested as possible for deeper into the season and the playoffs.

Who are these traditionalist that have the ears of so many and have the power to convince other owners their stars shouldn't be allowed to score but a fraction of goals that where scored in the 80's and 90's?

To me your saying a vocal view have convinced the rest that the ideal hockey player is Matt Ellis.

Who are these traditionalist that have the ears of so many and have the power to convince other owners their stars shouldn't be allowed to score but a fraction of goals that where scored in the 80's and 90's?

To me your saying a vocal view have convinced the rest that the ideal hockey player is Matt Ellis.

Its called laziness...

Lindy to the best as I could see throughout the game wasn't playing a 1-2-2 defensive game. Send 1 forechecker in to the O zone, use the other 2 forwards at the red line to make are the first pass out of the zone is along the boards and bottling up the neutral zone. That is what the Sabres where doing. Something a coach would do to try and even out the skill differential and keep the game low scoring and hope for a lucky bounce. #TedsNolanHockey

Yep. It was bylsma more than Ruff playing bottled.

Sorry but your fancy stats are not view-able without me spending $49 per month.  ​I will accept they are not declining from 2005 and have held steady at around 17500. That is what I think it said around the edges of the fancy stat add that I couldn't get rid of.

My quote from up thread...

It appears to me that the bosses of the owners are not going to games, just my personal observation from watching, because hockey is *boring*.

You can stat me to death on ticket sales, my eye ball test is that fans are not attending. Having season tickets is one thing. Not using them and not having buyers through stub hub or any place like that to unload them when you can't go doesn't seem to be working. It's a gut feeling from seeing empty seats at games.

The other gut feeling. Reporters/journalist that cover hockey are feeling it to. That is why there seem to be more and more pieces on scoring. 

I agree, ticket sales have nothing to do with fan interest. It might help to pay the bills but since some fans have found out they can make a buck with sites like Stubhub people are buying season tickets and selling them. It doesn't necessarily mean those tickets are always sold and fans actually attended the games.

I wish attendance was once again based on actual attendance instead ticket sales.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

What scoring problem? asks dinosaur GMTM, who sounds like a climate change denier pointing out it snowed in October somewhere. He thinks the problem is media-driven, cites several "high scoring games" last week, thinks rule changes shouldn't punish teams that can win 5-0, doesn't seem to think clutching and grabbing is a problem anymore, and more! An idiot GM to match an idiot owner? Nice.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/11a1d05127d9458da64f195601644c0d/sabres-gm-drop-nhl-goal-scoring-media-driven-concern

Edited by pASabreFan

What scoring problem? asks dinosaur GMTM, who sounds like a climate change denier pointing out it snowed in October somewhere. He thinks the problem is media-driven, cites several "high scoring games" last week, thinks rule changes shouldn't punish teams that can win 5-0, doesn't seem to think clutching and grabbing is a problem anymore, and more! An idiot GM to match an idiot owner? Nice.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/11a1d05127d9458da64f195601644c0d/sabres-gm-drop-nhl-goal-scoring-media-driven-concern

I think Murray is learning it's better to play dumb in the media than to give real insight into what he's thinking.

So your trying to say that if they increase ticket prices goal scoring will increase?

I think Murray is learning it's better to play dumb in the media than to give real insight into what he's thinking.

After the P P slapping from the lottery/draft/ McDavid thing this is not a battle he is getting in the middle of. He can't win this one nor does he need to vent his anger.

So he doesn't believe what he said, but he thinks by saying the opposite it will help spur the real change he is after?

So your trying to say that if they increase ticket prices goal scoring will increase?

Exactly! Wait, wut... The two might be connected though. Even though GMTM is this young-ish, brash newcomer to the GM ranks who G 0 F, and Pegula is this new-ish, free-spending, outsider, fan boy owner, they both seem to have gotten the hint of how the business works. Increase revenues, hold down costs.

So he doesn't believe what he said, but he thinks by saying the opposite it will help spur the real change he is after?

Agreeing with the reporter gets him no where on the NHL good old boys front. Playing stupid and giving examples that lend credence to the reporters claim actually help the reporter. I'm not sure if it was completely intentional, but it worked to help prove his point.

Agreeing with the reporter gets him no where on the NHL good old boys front. Playing stupid and giving examples that lend credence to the reporters claim actually help the reporter. I'm not sure if it was completely intentional, but it worked to help prove his point.

GMTM is about focus. 

Get the goalie equipment right. :) 

GMTM is about focus. 

Get the goalie equipment right. :)

Exactly. Tears were actually flowing out of my laptop from everyone complaining about interference last night in a game that saw 10 goals.

Between this and the Gionta talk, can I just sign my name to your posts?

pA beat you to it.

I think our GM is wrong. 

• 2 months later...

And the case for bigger nets grows stronger (amongst those who want more scoring, anyway).

Exactly. There are currently 13 goalies in the league that have save percentages above .920 and all of them have played at least 26 games. I imagine in this environment Hasek in his prime would probably be putting up percentages of .950 or something along those lines. Bigger nets would be the easiest fix.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.