NHL should have a speed gun on shots

bob_sauve28

They should have a speed clock on the shots in hockey. And when they do replays they should show the shot speed so we can know how hard the shot was. Boom! 

Hey, they do it for baseball pitches. I'm sure they could set that up. 

Go Sabres 

I actually think you are on to something. That is one thing that the NHL does a very poor job marketing, the speed of the game. 

If they could track the speed of players, passes, and shots in MPH, i really think it would open some minds to the game. 

Or even at what speed someone got hit at, or ran into the boards at. 

I actually think you are on to something. That is one thing that the NHL does a very poor job marketing, the speed of the game.

If they could track the speed of players, passes, and shots in MPH, i really think it would open some minds to the game. 

Or even at what speed someone got hit at, or ran into the boards at. 

Because they purposely slow it down?  Idiots.

They should have a speed clock on the shots in hockey. And when they do replays they should show the shot speed so we can know how hard the shot was. Boom! 

Hey, they do it for baseball pitches. I'm sure they could set that up. 

Go Sabres 

Didn't fox use some type of lighting when they were broadcasting hockey? A red streak of light on shots greater than x miles per hour?

Edited by Thanes16

Where is Iknowphysics when you need him

Sup.

Could put sensors and transmitters on players (like a small unit in the helmet) to measure location, velocity, acceleration, etc. Pucks too.

Eventually, even small go-pro-like cameras could be mounted in the foreheads of helmets for real time 1st person angles. They'd likely need approval from the NHLPA, but they seem generally on board with technology as long as safety or comfort aren't sacrificed.

When Adidas takes over the uniforms they plan to use tracking in uniforms. They're going to be implementing the "tech fit" material used in college football which could also mean the NHL will have new form-fitting sweaters (meh, please no).

Putting hockey players in true form fitting unis like football has would go over as well as putting baseball managers in suits.

Not sure why so many people hated the Fox Trax. I know real hockey fans boast about always being able to see the puck, but that's BS. You can't see through the boards and that's one way the glowing puck helped. You also can't see a 90 mph slap shot. The technology would have needed tweaking. You didn't need that blue shadow in open ice. Or the tracking on slower shots.

When Adidas takes over the uniforms they plan to use tracking in uniforms. They're going to be implementing the "tech fit" material used in college football which could also mean the NHL will have new form-fitting sweaters (meh, please no).

I'm going to hold out hope for Adidas not messing up the sweaters. They tend to have a good feel for not fixing what ain't broken. The Samba cleat/shoe for example.

Not sure why so many people hated the Fox Trax. I know real hockey fans boast about always being able to see the puck, but that's BS. You can't see through the boards and that's one way the glowing puck helped. You also can't see a 90 mph slap shot. The technology would have needed tweaking. You didn't need that blue shadow in open ice. Or the tracking on slower shots.

I find it distracting, but non HD hockey can be tough to watch. I understand the thinking behind it. Edited by qwksndmonster

I'm going to hold out hope for Adidas not messing up the sweaters. They tend to have a good feel for not fixing what ain't broken. The Samba cleat/shoe for example.

Their work in the NBA has been atrocious, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come. Let it be as it is plus the tracking. And more royal blue. :)

IMHO, a large part of the issue w/ the glowing puck / fox trax was that if you did/do follow hockey, the puck would tend to hover either through the boards or at other places in the rink and though you could see it you didn't necessarily know where it actually was. W/out it glowing / trailing a blue/red tail you would know where it was. The spatiality was lost to a large degree.

Here is a rule change I think they should add...

When a goalie goes down for an injury and the game is stopped while the puck is still in the defending goalie's zone the goalie should be required to sit for one whistle.  Ryan Miller did a nice job of faking an injury today to stop some good pressure....as an example and then he stays in the game...

Here is a rule change I think they should add...

When a goalie goes down for an injury and the game is stopped while the puck is still in the defending goalie's zone the goalie should be required to sit for one whistle.  Ryan Miller did a nice job of faking an injury today to stop some good pressure....as an example and then he stays in the game...

Funny you mention that, because I was proposing that this afternoon after that play. :)

I almost hope they do mess with the jerseys so we can make jokes about Adidas doing more to eliminate clutching and grabbing than the league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.