Ryan O'Reilly and Colorado

bob_sauve28

I may be a little early on this, but our getting ROR looks like the theft of the century. WTF was Colorado thinking? He didn't fit in there? They kept Matt Duschene instead of him?  :doh:

How do you give away a hockey player like this? 

I was looking over that trade yesterday, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Compher, and technically AJ Greer (simplifies things since colorado trade that pick to San Jose to move back 9 spots).

Yea... ROR is winning it thus far and McGinn is doing well too.

I was looking over that trade yesterday, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Compher, and technically AJ Greer (simplifies things since colorado trade that pick to San Jose to move back 9 spots).

Yea... ROR is winning it thus far and McGinn is doing well too.

Did they not want to pay him? He just seems like the type of player you keep no matter what, or is he better now in a leadership role here? I'm sure Zadorov will be solid for years to come and they others will contribute, but this trade looks insane. Oh ya, and McGinn! 

It's just 10 games in and Ryan may have decided long ago he was never coming back and forced their hands.
But the guy has been everything you'd want in a player.
If the decision was made that they couldn't keep their entire core and he was the most expendable, you'd have to say it was a bad hockey decision.

Looks like $7 million player to me.

Edited by dudacek

Did they not want to pay him? He just seems like the type of player you keep no matter what, or is he better now in a leadership role here? I'm sure Zadorov will be solid for years to come and they others will contribute, but this trade looks insane. Oh ya, and McGinn! 

Basically everyone knew ROR was going to get 7years at 7-8mil. Rumor was he wanted 8mil.  Colorado decided that they didn't want to pay that price for him because they are concerned with keeping other players specifically Nathan MacKinnon. 

No.  they did not want to pay him.  IIRC, Colorado has an internal budget below the salary cap.  His contract demands didn't fit in it.

Although, I wonder if part of his motivation to not sign was because he didn't want to play 2nd fiddle?

Edited by We've

No.  they did not want to pay him.  IIRC, Colorado has an internal budget below the salary cap.  His contract demands didn't fit in it.

Although, I wonder if part of his motivation to not sign was because he didn't want to play 2nd fiddle?

So in other words, Pre-Pagula he wouldn't be here? And some people say money can't buy happiness? Bah!  :P

I think that played a big part.

Kid wants to be Toews, felt he was treated as if he was Hecht.

Murray pounces. Sabrespace reaps the benefits.

No. they did not want to pay him. IIRC, Colorado has an internal budget below the salary cap. His contract demands didn't fit in it.

I think the internal budget was most of it, but I also think there's some incompetence in there. They chose to pay Iginla and Soderberg, two guys 30+ and past their prime, for an amount that easily could have gone to O'Reilly. They chose two aging vets over a young core piece with a lot of prime years left for a team that wasn't yet ready to contend. They got fooled by their playoff season IMO.

They also had the option to move Duchene, who probably would have returned a pretty penny given he was signed long term already to a lower cap hit. Some may feel that would be crazy, but Duchene's skill set seems pretty redundant to me with MacKinnon around, whereas O'Reilly brought something else to the table with close to the same offensive production.

The economics may have constrained the decision making, but there's definitely some poor player valuations and team building decisions in there too.

I think the internal budget was most of it, but I also think there's some incompetence in there. They chose to pay Iginla and Soderberg, two guys 30+ and past their prime, for an amount that easily could have gone to O'Reilly. They chose two aging vets over a young core piece with a lot of prime years left for a team that wasn't yet ready to contend. They got fooled by their playoff season IMO.

They also had the option to move Duchene, who probably would have returned a pretty penny given he was signed long term already to a lower cap hit. Some may feel that would be crazy, but Duchene's skill set seems pretty redundant to me with MacKinnon around, whereas O'Reilly brought something else to the table with close to the same offensive production.

The economics may have constrained the decision making, but there's definitely some poor player valuations and team building decisions in there too.

Definitely.

Great post

For what it's worth Colorado really lost a lot of their depth when Stastny left.  Trading O'Reilly is really similar to a classic baseball trade.  You have your identified player "Zadorov" and lottery boom or bust type in "Grigorenko" and your stable up the middle talent "Compher" along with a draft pick.  A mix bag of stuff to replace the best player involved in the deal.   It was a win win move!

For what it's worth Colorado really lost a lot of their depth when Stastny left. Trading O'Reilly is really similar to a classic baseball trade. You have your identified player "Zadorov" and lottery boom or bust type in "Grigorenko" and your stable up the middle talent "Compher" along with a draft pick. A mix bag of stuff to replace the best player involved in the deal. It was a win win move!

This sounds like how Darcy would have justified the deal. I'm glad we don't have to settle for his middling explanations anymore. We got the best player in the deal, maybe the two best.

This sounds like how Darcy would have justified the deal. I'm glad we don't have to settle for his middling explanations anymore. We got the best player in the deal, maybe the two best.

Well that's what it looks like to me from Roy/Sakic were going for.

We have a 50 page thread on the Kane trade, it's time to recognize how good this trade looks.

Zadorov will probably be the best player on their side. He may end up as a #2 or 3 D, if he gets his s:($& together.

Grigo is getting 6-9 minutes a night and will always be behind Duchene and MacKinnon. He may be in the KHL in 2 years.

Compher, I haven't kept track of, but he may become a bottom 6 guy.

Draft pick is an unknown at this point.

ROR is worth this plus we got McGinn.

ROR rubbed them the wrong way with his contract issues.

He's a more complete player than anyone they have left. Our gain.

ROR is worth every penny.  He was rumored to want 8 mil.  He got 7 and his brother got a sweet 700k to play in Roch.  ROR always says how much he looks up to his brother.  I think his brother's contract sealed the deal for him to sign here.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.