Zemgus the Destroyer: when will he reemerge?

Onceagain

The NHL is just not a high scoring league. The Ducks have been shut out 5 times already! Ya, some players will not score in stretches

This game was a prime example of skill being nullified because crosschecking, holding, and especially interference don't get called in this league.  I can't for the life of me figure out why the league wants to nullify speed and skill.  Frustrates me as a fan.

To be fair, it reads "what's up?" And it's a fair question.

Its a fair question if you understand the one and only answer is, its 9 games into the season and his production isnt there yet.  He has the same amount of goals as sidney crosby for christ sake.  Hockey and baseball are long seasons.  When someone is significantly under producing only 9 games into the season, understand it is okay.  

And the other reason it is a silly question is there is no answer.  If you think its fair, then give an answer as to whats up with him....

Edited by Johnny DangerFace

Its a fair question if you understand the one and only answer is, its 9 games into the season and his production isnt there yet.  He has the same amount of goals as sidney crosby for christ sake.

As somebody mentioned in the game day thread, there is also probably a bit of getting used to actually playing w/in an actual system again.

Except for his brief stints w/ Rolston & Lindy, he's probably never played in a "system." Doubtful he saw a real one in the USHL & he definitely didn't in the Olympics nor on Teddy's Sabres.

He'll get the hang of it.

These guys are human, too. Well, some of them. Gus is no longer fresh meat. He's kind of old news and he's certainly no longer the best player on the team. Ted's gone and the new coach might not be so fawning and might have a different concept of how he fits in. The hockey reasons Taro mentioned and the injury factor are more tangible, but maybe Girgensons just has to wrap his head around a new reality for himself.

These guys are human, too. Well, some of them. Gus is no longer fresh meat. He's kind of old news and he's certainly no longer the best player on the team. Ted's gone and the new coach might not be so fawning and might have a different concept of how he fits in. The hockey reasons Taro mentioned and the injury factor are more tangible, but maybe Girgensons just has to wrap his head around a new reality for himself.

reality wraps around Lord Zemgus, never the other way around.

This game was a prime example of skill being nullified because crosschecking, holding, and especially interference don't get called in this league.  I can't for the life of me figure out why the league wants to nullify speed and skill.  Frustrates me as a fan.

I guess they don't want to many penalties, or they are lazy or something. It is nonsense. 

If I could experiment I'd do away with the off side as long as a pass originate outside of attacking teams blue line. Just way open it up. So you could pass/shoot whatever from your own blue line in. But once inside zone defensive team could clear puck out of zone and attacking players would have to get out. I'd just like to see how that worked 

If I could experiment I'd do away with the off side as long as a pass originate outside of attacking teams blue line. Just way open it up. So you could pass/shoot whatever from your own blue line in. But once inside zone defensive team could clear puck out of zone and attacking players would have to get out. I'd just like to see how that worked 

Ovechkin would never leave the opponents' zone.  Ever.

I guess they don't want to many penalties, or they are lazy or something. It is nonsense. 

I would eliminate the provision that a goal scored during a delayed penalty nullifies the penalty.  The delay is because the offending team doesn't possess the puck.  Getting the extra man for however long is a product of the rule that will end play when the offending team gains possession. If a penalty gives you two bites at the apple, perhaps there would be a disincentive to take them flippantly.  Of course we need to see that the severity of the impact doesn't effect the frequency of calls.  In other words enforce what you have and make it sting more.  Vancouver scored on a dlayed penalty last night, and it would have been grand if it only stopped play so the Canucks get start their power play.

Zemgus had a great goal last night.  But outside of that there have been entire games where he has been useless.  Last season he was an animal and now he looks like he is having trouble finding his way.  I hope last night was a step in the correct direction and I know he isn't one of the top 2 talents on the team anymore but he needs to be better.

Is Bylsma's system not good for him or is it the first real system Zemgus has had to learn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6i5RMYvKw

Edited by LGR4GM

Perhaps Zemgus needs to watch a couple games from upstairs.

Seriously though, I think you are right about this being his first experience in a real system. For all intents and purposes Nolan has been his only NHL coach and Bylsma's chess is nothing like Nolan's checkers.

GO SABRES!!!

Perhaps Zemgus needs to watch a couple games from upstairs.

Seriously though, I think you are right about this being his first experience in a real system. For all intents and purposes Nolan has been his only NHL coach and Bylsma's chess is nothing like Nolan's checkers.

GO SABRES!!!

Maybe 1 game in the box with a coach would help.  He seems to be behind the play more often than I ever remember.  I think Bylsma system has a lot to do with it.

I have noticed zemgus going hard every game, but he seems to kinda be getting bounced around a lot, more than I'm used to seeing from the Latvian prince. Almost like he's still all about effort only without much tact.... Maybe just like the rest of the team a 20 game time to gel is appropriate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.