GDT: Buffalo @ Philadelphia, 7:00 pm edt, 10/27/2015

WildCard

I know I'm too old to feel this way, but still:  I hate the Flyers.

I was in Philly this past weekend (youth hockey tournament).  There was discussion of buying tickets to the Flyers/Rangers game should the kids get eliminated from the semi-finals (played Sat night.).  I flat out refused.  The only game I would ever see in their arena would be one against the Sabres.  Same with the Bruins.

You are never too old... the Flyers can eat it.

Go Sabres.  I get to watch the game tonight, so I am happy enough for that.

What could have been... sigh.

The 8-0 win at home to oust the Flyers in 01 was, uh, enjoyable.

Crummy video and no Rick, but this should still give your naughty bits a tingle.

Good stuff. A tiger can't and won't change its stripes: I hate the Flyers and Bruins ... and that's really about it in terms of real sports hate.

If Dale Hunter still played for the Nordiques, they'd be a candidate too.

If we're going to remember Filly games:

"Robert Esche has lost it.  He has lost it.  He's down four-nothing and he's blown his cool.  He's flipped his lid!"

I'm going to look for the video now.

Here it is.  I remembered every word correctly.  That's the power of RJ.

http://youtu.be/NXApkh9iSUc?t=72

embedding

If we're going to remember Filly games:

"Robert Esche has lost it.  He has lost it.  He's down four-nothing and he's blown his cool.  He's flipped his lid!"

I'm going to look for the video now.

Here it is.  I remembered every word correctly.  That's the power of RJ.

http://youtu.be/NXApkh9iSUc?t=72

If you go back to the highlight of the 4th goal... is that el crusho? :w00t:

He really could float like a butterfly, innit?

We didn't get nearly enough, but we'll always have 2005-06, and especially 7-6.

As for an enjoyable win vs Philly:  let's not forget the one that produced Hitch's walking papers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADqfe_U-rM

I completely forgot Forsberg's stint with the Flyers.

Kind of a dick move to honor him against us, like they couldn't have picked any if the other 30+ home games that aren't against us?

Actually the opposite, really, these games are about the player. I'm sure when asked,  Briere requested it. It is kind of nice. 

(his kids were raised in Buffalo and Philly, right?)

Edited by X. Benedict

Kind of a dick move to honor him against us, like they couldn't have picked any if the other 30+ home games that aren't against us?

Well, Briere had some great years as a Sabre.  I think he'd probably prefer it this way.

Speaking of Briere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37h7GYSAupg

Now that was an all-time RJ moment.

Yeah, I always thought he was such a nice boy.

That's funny. My mom used to say, "Little Danny Briere, he's such a nice boy." She was actually mad at HIM when he left Buffalo. I think he had said something to the effect that he didn't want to leave/it wasn't going to be about the money.

Well, Briere had some great years as a Sabre.  I think he'd probably prefer it this way.

Speaking of Briere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37h7GYSAupg

Now that was an all-time RJ moment.

Yep. I don't know if Rick's pipes can do the elongated scooooore call anymore, but it almost seems like he needs that time to conjure up a great (better) call. And, holy , how good does Jim Lorentz sound? What a great breakdown of that goal.

That's funny. My mom used to say, "Little Danny Briere, he's such a nice boy." She was actually mad at HIM when he left Buffalo. I think he had said something to the effect that he didn't want to leave/it wasn't going to be about the money.

Yep. I don't know if Rick's pipes can do the elongated scooooore call anymore, but it almost seems like he needs that time to conjure up a great (better) call. And, holy ######, how good does Jim Lorentz sound? What a great breakdown of that goal.

Great point on Lorentz. Nice to hear something other than "yeah RJ you could sense that one was coming". Lorentz seemlessly took RJ's great call and took it for the next minute. Miss that.

I still think we're spoiled.  Have you watched many other broadcasts? Soo many of them are utter crap.

We're squeezing the last drops out of Hall of Fame Rick.  Duff's a top-notch intermission man.  Dan's an above-average play caller in the league.  Rob's getting better.  May's been bumbling a little, but getting the hang of it.  Plus, our production/technical truck has historically been great.

I'm just happy to have the colour guys actually calling the game. I'll throw on a Red Wings feed when I'm driving sometimes and it's just two bro heads discussing each other's ties and wives and life in general and oh, there's a goal! If I want to listen to a podcast about personalities and sometimes hockey, I'll sync up some MvsW. Call the damn game! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.