Strongest current Sabres player and why

Cxp54

Shout out to Zemgus.  Maybe 30 goals this year?  Very good 2-way, physical, little bit of tenure, and seems like teammates enjoy him.

I get the feeling Gus isn't part of the bigger picture.  It almost seems like he is being punished in the preseason judging by his practice linemates. 

I hope that I am wrong but I can't shake the feeling. 

I get the feeling Gus isn't part of the bigger picture.  It almost seems like he is being punished in the preseason judging by his practice linemates. 

I hope that I am wrong but I can't shake the feeling. 

I'm rather curious about Zemgus' linemates so far this preseason too.  Maybe its not punishment.  You can't discount the possiblity that we've upgraded talent to the point that Gus is simply a 3rd liner now.

He has been practicing on lines with with AHL'ers recently.  I can't account for that.

I, too, have had thoughts that Zemgus is not in the long-term plans.  Although, perhaps during the preseason they just knew more about Gus so they didn't need to get him minutes with the other big guns?  In other words, they needed a greater look at the other top-6 candidates?

I'm rather curious about Zemgus' linemates so far this preseason too.  Maybe its not punishment.  You can't discount the possiblity that we've upgraded talent to the point that Gus is simply a 3rd liner now.

He has been practicing on lines with with AHL'ers recently.  I can't account for that.

The AHLers has me perplexed. He has improved significantly every year and I expect that to continue but buried with the players he has been is a bit strange.

hasn't he only been with the AHL guys for like 2 days? 

My puzzlement is because DB indicated that the last two games are going to be with the expected starting lineup.  If he's practicing with likely AHL'ers in the lead up to those two games........ what might that signify?

DB said today that Friday would be essentially the opening night look so maybe we have to wait and see. But I agree with We've, it seems like a lost opportunity for Gus to build chemistry with new line mates especially if he might be switching positions.

DB said today that Friday would be essentially the opening night look so maybe we have to wait and see. But I agree with We've, it seems like a lost opportunity for Gus to build chemistry with new line mates especially if he might be switching positions.

My theory..... the top 6 is set and Gus isn't in it.  The preseason was used by DB to find out which potential bottom 6ers stay up with the big club.  Gus isn't a question there so he's on the side while the other candidates get their chances.

If Gus is your third line center, that's awesome. This lineup looks like it could madden opponents — it would be like playing whack a mole. Who do you try and stop? Shades of 05-07?

Does the suspicion about Gus' future have anything to do with his biggest cheerleader being gone?

I can't believe Girgensons is on the outs or something. I am honestly stunned to hear several posters voice this.

If Gus is your third line center, that's awesome. This lineup looks like it could madden opponents — it would be like playing whack a mole. Who do you try and stop? Shades of 05-07?

Does the suspicion about Gus' future have anything to do with his biggest cheerleader being gone?

I can't believe Girgensons is on the outs or something. I am honestly stunned to hear several posters voice this.

Larsson and Girgensens don't seem to be getting the prime linemates in practice.  It's not that i think he's on the outs.  But you can get a feel for what DB is thinking with the rest of the roster based on who they have been practicing with.  Can't get that feel with Larsson and Girgs.

I think Weave's theory sounds right -- Zemgus is on the 3rd line.

Which would, I think, slot Gionta as the #2 RW -- which I have thought for a while was likely.

Here's a related item: if Zemgus is on the 3rd line, is he the #3 C? And would that slot Reinhart...in Rochester?

Hello Liger.

Which would, I think, slot Gionta as the #2 RW -- which I have thought for a while was likely.

Here's a related item: if Zemgus is on the 3rd line, is he the #3 C? And would that slot Reinhart...in Rochester?

Hello Liger.

I hope not. I still want a 3rd line of McGinn - Reinhart - Gionta. I think once they get some chemistry and Reinhart stops being so tentative, that line could do some real damage against 3rd pairing d-men and opposing lower lines. 

Won't lie, I'm not a fan of Gionta on the second line. I just don't think he's good enough at this point, and I don't think he's a particularly good fit there as a complement to Moulson and Eichel.

Agreed. I really liked the look of Moulson - Eichel - Girgensons. I bet it ends up that way.

If Girgensons does play on the third line, he could flank Reinhart on the right side, or Reinhart could start on the RW with Z at center.

Edited by Thorny

Hello Liger.

Zemgus on the third line is going to give teams a match-up problem. He's the perfect third liner. 

Training camp has been flipping Samson and Zemgus from wing to center. They are getting looks at both positions. 

I think they are both on the team. 

Zemgus on the third line is going to give teams a match-up problem. He's the perfect third liner. 

Training camp has been flipping Samson and Zemgus from wing to center. They are getting looks at both positions. 

I think they are both on the team.

When's the last time the Sabres had 10 guys that fit in on the top 9? Nice to finally have a "1st world problem."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.