Sabres Defensemen -- Omnibus Preseason Thread

nfreeman

In this case, I actually don't think it is. As exciting as it is to be cheering for wins, I think we need to be careful about putting the cart before the horse--this year is still much more about development than about contending. If going back to juniors is better for Guhle's development, then that's where he should go, even if it would be better for the Sabres for him to be here over the likes of Donovan.

Well, I should've said "it's important to consider the alternatives for the first 9 games."  Does that change your thinking?

I too see no need to rush his development and would lean against keeping him up unless he's really something extraordinary.

If you're going to do it with Guhle, you have to do it right now.  They can't bring him back once they send him back to juniors.  There's more flexibility with McCabe.  If they keep Guhle up, he's playing.  There's no sense in keeping him around to sit in the press box.

Good call.

OK, with the recent news about Bogo and Gorges being "week-to-week" with injuries, and the general uncertainty surrounding the D, I thought it would make sense to create a dedicated thread.

If Bogo and Gorges can't go on opening night, that leaves:

Risto

Franson

Pysyk

Weber

Coco

Donovan

McCabe

Rudy

Guhle

I'll predict the starting 6 on opening night will be (again, assuming no Bogo or Gorges):

Risto-Franson

Pysyk-Weber

Guhle-Coco

Also:  here's a pretty interesting article on Guhle from Garth:  http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=6

Better skater than Karlson? Hmmmm. Why not Paul Coffey? 

With the injuries piling up I think Guhle will get a few NHL games with our 3rd pairing. Just how many games he plays will depend on how he handles himself, we won't really know until we see him in action when it really matters. Yes, Crosby/Kessel types will burn this kid everyday, I trust our coaches to not have them out there against the elite talent of our opponents. 9 games take us up to October 27th so without any further setbacks the injuries should be healed up by then and he can be returned to juniors. 

My hypothesis is that he'll see 3-5 NHL games before McCabe/Ruhweedal(sp?)/Bogo/and Gorges are back. Murray is going to tell him the same thing he told Sam Reinhardt, "you've seen which parts of your game needs improvement, go work on them and I'll see you next year." I'm liking what I've seen from him so far but I will eat a hat* if he sticks around longer than 9 games.

*sandwich.

This is probably the case. I don't think it would be unreasonable to see him stay past his 9. It just depends on what part of his game needs the most work. Physical strength is always the biggest problem with these kids. If he can take some hits from the pros then we might be able to overlook other deficiencies on the 3rd pair in a transition year. If he's simply not ready physically then that would be the big deal breaker. "Go bulk up" is the normal refrain when these guys get sent back. It's the most likely outcome. 

This is probably the case. I don't think it would be unreasonable to see him stay past his 9. It just depends on what part of his game needs the most work. Physical strength is always the biggest problem with these kids. If he can take some hits from the pros then we might be able to overlook other deficiencies on the 3rd pair in a transition year. If he's simply not ready physically then that would be the big deal breaker. "Go bulk up" is the normal refrain when these guys get sent back. It's the most likely outcome.

I'm ok w/ him getting a short preview due to the injuries, but would prefer to not even get the full 9 now, as itmight be worth a look at him again at the end of the season once his Junior team is done.

The little bit that I've seen of him indicates he still has a lot of development to go through (especially in his own end). He also had 1 horrible pass off the faceoff that set up a breakaway in the Loafs game.

Bringing him up too quick doesn't just potentially stunt his growth, it kicks his entry level deal into gear now; and though the Sabres don't have much cap navigation to go through today, they will have a lot to do in ~3 years. Guhle staying entry level through age 22 could help that a lot.

If they're short bodies, give him a 3-6 game look-see and then send him back unless he's been looking awesome.

I think he gets his 9, Murray works the phones with Hockey Canada and he leaves for WJC camp, his Raiders get bounced in the 1st round and he suits up for a playoff run with the Amerks, gets a little rest and is in prospects camp in July.  Not a bad year for an 18 yo.  

Oh and it worked for Rasmus.

Well, I should've said "it's important to consider the alternatives for the first 9 games." Does that change your thinking?

I too see no need to rush his development and would lean against keeping him up unless he's really something extraordinary.

Good call.

I don't mind him getting a few games to get a taste, but I would neither use all 9 nor keep him beyond that unless he's just out of this world. Like Taro, I'd like the option of bringing him back at the end of the year without burning a year of his ELC.

I want the Sabres to win as much as possible this year and part of that plan doesn't include an 18 year old blue liner with no NHL experience to his name. I'd go with Ruhwedel, Colo or McCabe knowing that Gorges and Bogo more than likely won't be there for opening night....

Risto

Franson

Weber

Pysyk

...and some combo of Ruhwedel, Colo and McCabe for your 3rd pairing.

Send Guhle back by the weekend.

PS Garth doesn't even believe the crap he writes. Comparisons to Doughty and Karlsson...nothing but click bait.

Edited by LabattBlue

I think he gets his 9, Murray works the phones with Hockey Canada and he leaves for WJC camp, his Raiders get bounced in the 1st round and he suits up for a playoff run with the Amerks, gets a little rest and is in prospects camp in July.  Not a bad year for an 18 yo.  

Oh and it worked for Rasmus.

Guhle is not Ramsus.  That's like saying Armia is Eichel. 

I addressed this.  His strength isn't there, his mind isn't there, his skill isn't there.  The only thing NHL ready is his skating. Why after years of watching 18yr old and 19yr old kids struggle in the NHL and ultimately fail would we subject another player to that when we do not have too? 

9 games max and then back to juniors

Ghule skates well, that's great. So how's he look off the puck? What's he look like down low when a 200lb vet starts leaning on him?

I just watched 3 years of a 18yr olds being fed to the wolves, I have no desire to see it again.

Sith Lord, I'm with you.

And we will have two new kids to look out for already.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.