Low Points of the Tank

Doohickie

The low point was the absolute freak out when we lost the draft lottery and didn't get McDavid by some people.  It was annoying and obnoxious beyond anything else.  Hearing how we failed and it was all worthless and the 2015 season had to be a tank now too.  That was the worst freaking part.

Easy -- ohhhh for January.... Brutal

For those supporting the tank this was the high point of the season :ph34r:

On another note, the HIGH point was the avatars ....   some resourceful and clever dudes and dudettes out there.

Agreed.  The CHL thread was also a savior of sorts with it's comedic relief.

I agree with you're assessment on overall team toughness. It appears the league is moving towards eliminating the true heavyweight that isn't good at hockey but imo it'll still take awhile and some teams may waste a roster spot on guys like this simply because they have no one else to fill the spot. This could create problems for teams that don't dress one or they can just overwhelm that team with speed and talent.

Think about it.  "That guy" is still on our team.  The guy that will take on all comers.  The guy that will answer the cheap shots.  "That guy" has a couple of goals in pre-season so far... Nic Deslauriers.  Enforcers with a scoring touch.  This speaks not just to Deslauriers's skill but also to the fact that even our 4th line has creativity and can be a scoring threat.

No more Andrew Peters, no more John Scott.... there simply isn't enough room on the roster for players like that anymore.

For those supporting the tank this was the high point of the season :ph34r:

Oh-for-January is when I finally bought into the tank.  The Tampa Bay game I linked above was really terrible for me because at that point I was still pulling for the team to make the playoffs.  It was such a pathetic effort.  I was still rooting for wins, not for the tank.  That loss hurt.

Think about it.  "That guy" is still on our team.  The guy that will take on all comers.  The guy that will answer the cheap shots.  "That guy" has a couple of goals in pre-season so far... Nic Deslauriers.  Enforcers with a scoring touch.  This speaks not just to Deslauriers's skill but also to the fact that even our 4th line has creativity and can be a scoring threat.

Yes! Crazy eyes is a big boy with a good head for simple hockey.  And he. Will. Drop 'em.

Good thread, I like it.

The entire month of January was a low point, but probably the most infamous moment will forever be the fans cheering against us at home against the Coyotes. 

That, and PLF leaving, were the low points of the tank for me. Oh and losing the second lottery to Edmonton. Losing it to another team (not the Leafs) wouldn't have been terrible. But, Edmonton? You all know how it feels

This man. This was the lowest. 

I could accept wanting the team to lose in order to get a generational talent. That bothered me but at least it was very Dr. Spock. Devoid of emotion. Ruthless. Cold. But logical.

But when people started celebrating losses, actively cheering against the team on home ice, that was too far. That team didn't deserve that. Those players didn't deserve that. They were bad and they knew they were bad. They knew they were here to lose. The least our fans could have done was acknowledge that. I appreciate what that scrub team did for the future of the franchise. 

I could accept wanting the team to lose in order to get a generational talent. That bothered me but at least it was very Dr. Spock. Devoid of emotion. Ruthless. Cold. But logical.

But when people started celebrating losses, actively cheering against the team on home ice, that was too far. That team didn't deserve that. Those players didn't deserve that. They were bad and they knew they were bad. They knew they were here to lose. The least our fans could have done was acknowledge that. I appreciate what that scrub team did for the future of the franchise. 

good post, and I completely agree! 

There's a great scene in the movie "Free Enterprise" with a teen yelling, "Mom, Mr. Spock: alien! Dr. Spock: baby guy".

THIS.  When this board went from one of my last bastions of enjoyment to someplace I could barely tolerate and I no longer cared whether the team was even playing.  Thank God it's all over now.

Hats off to the following guys for making the last two seasons really worth watching:

Cody Hodgson

Drew Stafford

Jamie McBain

Ville Leino

Brian Flynn

Matt D'Agostini

Cory Conacher

Alexander Sulzer

Linus Omark

Zenon Konopka

Torrey Mitchell

John Scott*

Luke Adam

Corey Tropp

Andrej Meszaros

Andrew Benoit

Tyson Strachan

Zac Dalpe

Phil Varone

Kevin Porter

Jerry D'Amigo

and our rock, Matt Ellis

*I enjoyed the antics of John Scott and am looking forward to see him shattering his 3 goal milestone this year in Arizona.

We should rank the tank players in order of importance to the tank...

1) Ville Leino - he once played 58 games and scored 0 goals.  Tank Commander.

Individual rankings would be tough after that number one spot but I could definitely categorize these as the following:

Players I hated watching and hoped would prove spontaneous combustion was more than a theory:

Cody Hodgson

Ville Leino

Jamie McBain

Alexander Sulzer

Andrej Meszaros

Andrew Benoit

Players whose game I didn't hate but contributed very little when the rest of the roster had similar or sub-par talent (would tolerate no more than 2 of these players on a roster for a bad team):

Drew Stafford

Brian Flynn

Torrey Mitchell

Tyson Strachan

Phil Varone

Matt Ellis

John Scott

And finally, the "Who?" category, names I'll hopefully have forgotten in two years:

Matt D'Agostini

Cory Conacher

Linus Omark

Zenon Konopka

Corey Tropp

Zac Dalpe

Kevin Porter

Jerry D'Amigo

I don't know where to put Luke Adam so he goes in his own Luke Adam category

Edited by mustacheofgod

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.