dudacek

Robin Lehner  

46 members have voted

1. 1. I will think Robin Lehner was worth the 21st overall pick:

• If he’s an NHL player — 21st overall picks often aren’t
    • If he proves to be a decent NHL starter
    • If he has a career with us roughly equal to Ryan Miller’s
    • If he leads us to the Stanley Cup
    • Under no circumstances — it was just a bad use of assets.

• 2 weeks later...

Would I have liked to have not given up a first and given a 2nd or 3rd? or course, if for no other reason that first (or prospect that comes with it) could be used in a different deal.

However, i'm fine with it. If this is the guy Murray wants...and he turns out to be a good starter...then it is well worth a 1st round pick in that position that more often than not doesn't turn into a great asset down the line.

If he is who you want...and you aren't getting him unless you give a first..then you give that first.  You don't not do the trade on principle.

I choose decent NHL starter.   The NHL draft (except for the top few picks) is a giant crap shoot.   If Murray feels more comfortable about Lehner than say a Blackwood or Samsonov, then by all means, pull the trigger.   I'm not gonna pretend to know more than Murray does about Lehner (or any other hockey related matter).    Did he make the right decision?   ....let history be the judge.

My first assumption as well. Likely some version of it.

Apparently that is a "Jesterhead." It's a fan of a Swedish metal band. No LoTR here.

The rest of Lehner's mask revealed:

https://instagram.com/p/7qguWYurhg/

https://instagram.com/p/7qg3kUurhu/

Meh.

I'll just pretend it's the Witch King.

I kinda like the mask, actually. Color scheme is cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit on the Loafs-Sabres broadcast. Apparently Lehner used to use a stick w/ a 1" longer paddle, but when the league did its last equipment guideline review it cut the allowable paddle length by an inch for guys 6'5" and under. Apparently if he was 1" taller he could still have used the old stick.

Wonder how much of his issues last year and into this preseason have been due to him getting used to that. That actually is a pretty huge modification to get used to. Doesn't sound like much, but you'll end up changing your crouch to have the blade flat on the ice. And all motions from there won't quite be exactly the same as before. Again, curious as to how much (if at all) that it's effecting him.

Interesting tidbit on the Loafs-Sabres broadcast. Apparently Lehner used to use a stick w/ a 1" longer paddle, but when the league did its last equipment guideline review it cut the allowable paddle length by an inch for guys 6'5" and under. Apparently if he was 1" taller he could still have used the old stick.

Wonder how much of his issues last year and into this preseason have been due to him getting used to that. That actually is a pretty huge modification to get used to. Doesn't sound like much, but you'll end up changing your crouch to have the blade flat on the ice. And all motions from there won't quite be exactly the same as before. Again, curious as to how much (if at all) that it's effecting him.

That was interesting.  One of the color guys also mentioned that Robin showed up to camp out of shape and overweight.  Was there any reporting of that by anyone reputable?

The guy may end up being great, but I have to believe that we could have obtained him without giving up a first round pick for him.  Tim loves to pay retail.

I will never be able to prove this, but we presumably could have gotten him for a second (we were actually doing Ottawa a favor by taking his salary off their books) and then would have been able to trade the 21st pick in the ROR deal rather than have to trade Zadorov.

Just my two cents.

The guy may end up being great, but I have to believe that we could have obtained him without giving up a first round pick for him.  Tim loves to pay retail.

I will never be able to prove this, but we presumably could have gotten him for a second (we were actually doing Ottawa a favor by taking his salary off their books) and then would have been able to trade the 21st pick in the ROR deal rather than have to trade Zadorov.

Just my two cents.

I understand what you are saying. I think Tim overpaid.  I will say that the 21st overall pick even in this draft does not = Zadorov anymore.  Time will tell what happens but Tim does love paying retail.

Lehner will need some time to get into gameshape, even after last nights shutout against what will be a bottom 3 team.

Thing is, murray already said " if it takes a year to get his feet  under him, it will happen we are not going for the grand prize "

I know our expectations are getting higher, and Murray filled in alot of holes already, but to be a contending playoff team we will need to grow some more + fill in some of the small holes.

Right now I feel like we could make the playoffs or might miss it, but we'll have fun watching our team again.

Edit: one of those small holes actually is a big one.   A #2 LHD to play along Ristolainen, Yandle is the first that comes to mind and if he signs an extension I'd give up Zemgus even.

Edited by Huckleberry

Lehner will need some time to get into gameshape, even after last nights shutout against what will be a bottom 3 team.

Thing is, murray already said " if it takes a year to get his feet  under him, it will happen we are not going for the grand prize "

I know our expectations are getting higher, and Murray filled in alot of holes already, but to be a contending playoff team we will need to grow some more + fill in some of the small holes.

Right now I feel like we could make the playoffs or might miss it, but we'll have fun watching our team again.

Edit: one of those small holes actually is a big one.   A #2 LHD to play along Ristolainen, Yandle is the first that comes to mind and if he signs an extension I'd give up Zemgus even.

I hope not.

I understand what you are saying. I think Tim overpaid.  I will say that the 21st overall pick even in this draft does not = Zadorov anymore.  Time will tell what happens but Tim does love paying retail.

I donno.  I know everyone freaked out after the Kane blockbuster that Tim overpaid.  But with Armia being sent back down again in almost a make or break year, we may have ended up with a steal in that trade.  Obviously won't know for atleast 3 to 5 years to see what the first rounder and Lemieux amount to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.