Phil Housley Inducted into HOF

3putt

21 seasons for a 5'10" 185 lb defenseman is pretty impressive.  4th all time in points by a defenseman.

Definitely.

My formula for HoF is seasons of elite play (backed up with trophies, all-star selections, statistical dominance, leading role on elite teams) AND sustained excellence over a lengthy period.

Housley has the latter, but not the former.

Rick Martin had the former, but not the latter.

I think if you break the record for most points by an American-born player, you probably get an in.

Sounds like you are throwing down the gauntlet to Jackie Boy?   G 741 A 650 1391 PTS.  Have at it Jacko.

One of those tweener guys who made it because of his longevity.

No disrespect, but I wouldn't have voted for him.

Agreed.

I think if you break the record for most points by an American-born player, you probably get an in.

I mean, he averaged a career 0.82PPG.  From the blueline.  For almost 1500 games.  For 21 years.

Except when he was a forward.

- Housley was awesome from an offensive standpoint, and if he was just two inches taller, probably would have made a great center.

- Housley was a trainwreck from a defensive standpoint at the beginning, middle, and end of his career.  I will alway remember the playoff game( I think it was against Montreal, maybe Taro, Tom Webster or other "old timers" can help), where he had the goalie screened, but stepped out of the way of blocking a shot at the last second.  GWG/OT goal??

- A few years ago, Rob Ray stated Housley was the only teammate he ever had who he hated.  LOL

Edited by LabattBlue

Wow, a lot of Haterade drinkers here....personally, I am always very happy to see any member of the Buffalo Sabres community make it into the Hall of Fame. I'm also rooting for Mogilny, Andreychuk, Turgeon, and Barrasso to make it in within the next 5 years.

Maybe Richer will send him a fruit basket. He surely sends a card every Christmas.

I'm surprised. I wouldn't have voted for him. Never thought of him as a first pairing defender. He was a spectacular skater, a powerplay weapon, and almost a 4th forward.

But as a defender, nope. 

I can be happy for him though. Spent the 80's in a love/hate relationship with him. 

I'm surprised. I wouldn't have voted for him. Never thought of him as a first pairing defender. He was a spectacular skater, a powerplay weapon, and almost a 4th forward.

But as a defender, nope. 

I can be happy for him though. Spent the 80's in a love/hate relationship with him. 

Stated better than I could have worded it.  

Cool Fact

@SNstats: Since 1981, 31% of all NHL players elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame have been coached by Scotty Bowman.

:worthy:

- Housley was awesome from an offensive standpoint, and if he was just two inches taller, probably would have made a great center.

- Housley was a trainwreck from a defensive standpoint at the beginning, middle, and end of his career. I will alway remember the playoff game( I think it was against Montreal, maybe Taro, Tom Webster or other "old timers" can help), where he had the goalie screened, but stepped out of the way of blocking a shot at the last second. GWG/OT goal??

- A few years ago, Rob Ray stated Housley was the only teammate he ever had who he hated. LOL

Stephane Richer .... Housley went up on one tippie toe at the blue line.

Edit: Oops, Taro got it.

All in all, though, a great NHL career and deserving of the Hall.

Edited by Neo

31 goals as a 19 year old defenseman?

Went right into the league out of high school?

Deserving.

Credit Scotty bowman for picking up on one of Herb Brooks innovations. Brooks started using Reijo Roustalainen as a hybrid type of player, a great skating but tiny offensive quarterback. Both those guys could skate circles around the type of third line players that the league was using to cover point at the time.

The Sabres also used Hanu Virta in this roll, but more than one guy like that on the roster was a liability.

Keep in mind that every team in the league was scoring 300+ goals at the time.

The thing about Housley was that depending who was on the ice he was the biggest asset or the biggest liability. He really couldn't cover the back end so often he would cover point on the penalty kill. Ray Borque would literally straight arm Housley in the head pushing him back for 20 ft. like Butch vs Spanky and simply draging the puck behind him into the slot.

I enjoyed watching Housley much more after he left Buffalo. But those first two years in the league were electric because he was playing an almost invented position for his skill set.

Edited by X. Benedict

I won't debate it. He was a special talent, for a long time.

Here's the top search return for a Housley Sabres on the YouTube.

Is that Robitaille doing the color on that broadcast?  Sure sounds like him, but I don't remember him in that role other than as a fill-in and certainly not while Darling was doing play by play.

EDIT:  Yep, it's him:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Sabres_broadcasters#1990s  I didn't have cable then, so I wouldn't ever have heard him and Darling together.  I only got the games that were on Channel 29.

Edited by Eleven

I'd vote for Andreychuk first.  I believe he is now the highest career scorer among HoF eligible players who aren't yet in (is Recchi eligible yet?).  Pair that up with him having more PP goals than most players have career goals and I think that should be enough.

And a quick tangent while looking at the all time scoring list.  I didn't realize that Jagr could pass Gordie this year if he can duplicate last year's numbers.  He'd be second all time if he hadn't left for the KHL.

So happy he made it in.  He played a long time and for too many teams, but he was a really good player.  His points, and cup win were enough to finally get him in.  I compare him to a Fred McGriff of MLB (who hasn't made it yet). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.