Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Not sure where to put this.  Fits as well here as anywhere, I guess.

So I was going through old notes on my phone.  Here is my note from March 5, 2013, 7:17 pm:

Foligno Porter Flynn Weber Brennan all on ice at same time.

Feels good knowing I'll never see that again!

Back then that was probably our second line  :lol:

Check out this Vine (that's a short looped video clip for you old codgers) of something going on at some NHL training thing somewhere:

https://vine.co/v/eI3wJnDWuJp

This actually may not be new or current at all. But it did just show up on someone's Twitter feed.

I think it is current. Similar stuff went on last year, too.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Setting aside the current situation (but not disregarding his past or his apparent off-ice issues), is this a deal the Sabres should do?

Among other matters, I'm thinking of Kane's age, salary, and what it would cost to get him.

I don't think it is possible for me to make a choice without biasing it with his current situation.

I don't think it is possible for me to make a choice without biasing it with his current situation.

It's one thing to trade for a guy who is currently under investigation for rape.  It takes it to a whole new level when that player is under investigation in your own town.  This would be a PR nightmare of epic proportions.  It's impossible not to take his current situation into account.

Not to mention going in to play the Hurricanes. All that talk of raping and pillaging and eating babies would finally have to stop. Never did get those references for a sporting event. I get the hate, I just never felt it was really necessary. Kane has too much negative off ice baggage that he's lugging around. It seems like this shite will follow him his whole career. Innocent or not he'll find more trouble ahead. Not sure I'd want him on this team. 

*Sigh*

I really did want to a discussion of the idea in a more abstracted way, but I get why that can't be.

If we acquire Kane's salary, do we have room to pay for Eichel and Reinhart and Risto if they all become what we hope they do?

And this is partly where I was at -- a salary like Kane's would probably not fit in with what the team is trying to do.

^

Man, I love these pieces -- well, I find them riveting, is what I should say.

Is this the same series that published the piece from Carcillo?

Working through it. Phenomenal.

Players tribune is an editorial website founded by Derek Jeter (started it like the day after he retired). They have an actual staff of editors, but everything is written by or at least said by athletes. They used to claim that everything was written by the players and just edited for correctness, but I believe that stopped when it slipped out that one article was actually where a player interviewed with the editor and the editor wrote the article for him. Some are still written by players entirely I assume, but either way it's an awesome concept.

Excellent read.  I'll admit I teared up a bit when he called hockey an escape.  I love it (hockey) so much.  I skated for the first time in a couple months last week and it was almost a spiritual experience.  Contemplating loss of senses/ability is a scary thought, and something that's on my mind a lot (being around gramma all the time).  I wish more people gave the game the respect it demands.  Whenever I play against a team full of D-bags that wanna get physical and mix it up in beer league, or I read about Josie's injuries and bad experiences it makes me sick.

/feels

Edited by immerman

Salvador along with former NHL goalie Peter Ing run a hockey company specializing in innovative practice equipment. They have some really cool things and the website is fascinating.

http://www.xhockeyproducts.com/

Edited by Marvelo

Yea, because deliberately injuring someone is hilarious. I hope Lucic is dumb enough to go after a Sabre again.  "Maybe run him through like another goalie I did once."

http://nesn.com/2015/09/milan-lucic-jokes-he-might-run-over-tuukka-rask-like-he-did-ryan-miller/

I have this inkling that running a Sabre this season would result in immediate violence upon the player. 

I have this inkling that running a Sabre this season would result in immediate violence upon the player. 

probably depending who's on the ice.

i remember when we raged with this debate -- on whether the sabres' (non-)response was symptomatic of something rotten within the core. 

then someone here posted the video of what the big bad stanley cup champion bruins did (not much) when matt cooke assassinated marc savard. and, sure, thornton scrapped with cooke the next time they played. meh. the prospect of that fight didn't cause cooke to modify his game -- the threat of being kicked out of the league did.

Edited by That Aud Smell