Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

If Johansson gets 4 mill out of arbitration washington is over the cap.   So many teams up to the cap, september will be an interesting month.

they are paying Laich 4.75 mill a year, no wonder johansson wants the same deal :p

Edited by Heimdall

Isn't it just the online stuff? I can't find anything that says it is the network.

Buccigross said it would be but you appear to be correct. Everybody else is reporting is streaming, web and apps.

Late edit: Today it was announced that the TV network is part of the deal too.

Edited by Hoss

This MLB-NHL partnership has been met by pretty widespread hatred. MLB controls content on all platforms. They will stop fans from creating highlights on social media if they do it anything like they do for MLB.

Hockey Twitter (and other platforms) is unlike any other sport. The gifs and vines and other clips have created a fun culture for fans engrained in social media platforms... Let's hope they recognize it and don't kill it.

This MLB-NHL partnership has been met by pretty widespread hatred. MLB controls content on all platforms. They will stop fans from creating highlights on social media if they do it anything like they do for MLB.

Hockey Twitter (and other platforms) is unlike any other sport. The gifs and vines and other clips have created a fun culture for fans engrained in social media platforms... Let's hope they recognize it and don't kill it.

MLB has to do that. There's not much else to watch in a baseball game than the 2-3 minutes of highlights.

NHL still controls content and they're not going to stop fans from making gifs and stuff.

NHL still controls content and they're not going to stop fans from making gifs and stuff.

I hope not, but I have no reason to believe that they won't. MLB's control of that type of content is driven by their desire to have it all centralized on their website. They are running the streaming services, NHL and team websites, digital content and the TV network. I have no reason to believe that they will not limit content.

This MLB-NHL partnership has been met by pretty widespread hatred. 

Is it possible to provide links for either proposition? (Even if just Tweets, or descriptions of source.)

I hope not, but I have no reason to believe that they won't. MLB's control of that type of content is driven by their desire to have it all centralized on their website. They are running the streaming services, NHL and team websites, digital content and the TV network. I have no reason to believe that they will not limit content.

MLB is not MLBAM. BAM is simply the tech company.

BAM does the streaming stuff for companies like HBO.

Never mind. Muir appears to have a bead on this.

By all accounts, hockey fans are the big winners here. MLBAM is considered the gold standard for its ability to relay content to the public in slick, fast and easily accessible formats.

What we should not see is a clamping down on the cottage industry of YouTube videos and instant GIFs posted to social media. MLB has silenced these as a contravention of its copyrights, but the NHL has allowed them to exist because it recognizes the value they have in advancing conversation about the sport. Since the NHL—and not MLBAM—will continue to have control over that decision, no one involved in the production of these video hits should expect a cease-and-desist letter any time soon.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/08/04/nhl-mlb-advanced-media-partnership-details

:beer:

Interesting.

I will say: I agree with the take above that MLB's online delivery, packaging, and accessibility are amazing. And I don't even follow baseball.

Edited by That Aud Smell

According to SportsNet, MLBAM has been asked not to limit the use of GIFs and other social media friendly forms of content sharing that fans have been doing. They claim they will not limit that type of content, but they quote seems to indicated that they will be requiring content to have the NHL logo embedded in it.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a-closer-look-at-nhls-partnership-with-mlbam/

MLBAM is very protective of who uses its videos online. As news of this agreement broke, there were questions about what this could mean for fans who create popular GIFs during games.

“We distribute our content with our logo embeddable and shareable with everyone,” Bowman said. “In general, what the league has asked for is ‘Don't roll-back, what’s being done is being done.’”

MLBAM stands for "Major League Baseball Advanced Media." It is MLB. "BAM" is not a separate company entirely. Their logo is the MLB logo. They will be operating out of studios provided by MLB and MLBAM.

If they aren't going to limit social media led content then this is a good deal. MLB/MLBAM has won awards for their apps and presentation while the NHL is light years behind everybody else. The graphic packages on NHL Network are brutal. This will be interesting.

Edited by Hoss

MLBAM stands for "Major League Baseball Advanced Media." It is MLB. "BAM" is not a separate company entirely. Their logo is the MLB logo. They will be operating out of studios provided by MLB and MLBAM.

If they aren't going to limit social media led content then this is a good deal. MLB/MLBAM has won awards for their apps and presentation while the NHL is light years behind everybody else. The graphic packages on NHL Network are brutal. This will be interesting.

You'd be surprised how divided companies can be internally. It sounds like MLB runs the advanced media group like a subdivision and it has a fair bit of autonomy to chase business on it's own terms. It's a classic business concept, taking a "cost center" and making it a "profit center". MLB looks and says, "hey, or digital media group is doing a great job but costs us a bunch of money. I wonder if we could sell the same service to other companies and make some of that money back?" The end game for this is often a non-core business subdivision like this will either be spun off into their own company or sold to another company. For instance, in this case Netflix could buy MLBAM because it'd get them into live sports streaming. It wouldn't change how MLB or the NHL (or HBO Live, since they're also a client) controls the content they produce.

EDIT: and then I read more of the linked article above:

The idea of spinning BAM out to create a new company has been floated for years, but in the last few months it has hardened into a certainty. Today’s announcement that the NHL will invest in this new venture makes it a fact. Lawyers and bankers are finalizing the details, and Bowman is in active discussions with other potential investors, poised to run a new company with a valuation north of $5 billion.

/EDIT.

While it's impossible to know what's in the legal documents right now, the NHL would be foolish to cede all say in how *THE NHL'S* content, logos, and trademarks can be used. Granted I don't have a ton of stake in this, but based on the posts above, I'll worry about MLBAM putting shackles on user content when I see it.

Edited by MattPie

While it's impossible to know what's in the legal documents right now, the NHL would be foolish to cede all say in how *THE NHL'S* content, logos, and trademarks can be used. Granted I don't have a ton of stake in this, but based on the posts above, I'll worry about MLBAM putting shackles on user content when I see it.

Per Muir above, the NHL is expected to retain that sort of control. 

OTOH,

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25259584

Hockey fans in particular have become accustomed to such content and it has helped the NHL in terms of exposure on social platforms due to how rapidly that content shows up via various twitter feeds and YouTubers.

Bettman was non-committal when asked if this new deal will change the league's relatively lax policies on this matter.

“We're constantly reviewing our policies,” he said. “They will be adjusted if that's appropriate.”

So stay tuned on that one.

You'd be surprised how divided companies can be internally. It sounds like MLB runs the advanced media group like a subdivision and it has a fair bit of autonomy to chase business on it's own terms. It's a classic business concept, taking a "cost center" and making it a "profit center". MLB looks and says, "hey, or digital media group is doing a great job but costs us a bunch of money. I wonder if we could sell the same service to other companies and make some of that money back?" The end game for this is often a non-core business subdivision like this will either be spun off into their own company or sold to another company. For instance, in this case Netflix could buy MLBAM because it'd get them into live sports streaming. It wouldn't change how MLB or the NHL (or HBO Live, since they're also a client) controls the content they produce.

EDIT: and then I read more of the linked article above:

/EDIT.

Oh I KNOW how divided companies can be internally. I get questions about the other side of our company that shares the same name every day. Edited by Hoss