Grigorenko really to KHL?

mjd1001

He's not going anywhere. He has always said the NHL is where he wants to be. Not worried about him, at all.

I think Makarov's days are numbered with Ullmark coming over though.

Plus, he apparently had a Stanley Cup cake at his wedding...shows how much that means to the kid, can't win that in the KHL over in Russia.

Right. That and Grigorenko would of probably returned too if he had any value to the team. Sabres will give him only a qualify offer and he'd sign it and be at same point next season, with hopefully more leverage. He hasn't earned any type of multi-year contract yet. In the KHL, they can offer him more immediate money.

Might be leverage to force the Sabres to keep him on the active roster next year. He seems to already have contempt for the workings of NHL organizations (I don't blame him) and doesn't mind getting tricky about it. Play me, trade me, or lose me. 

It is a common tactic with player agents. Even Enroth's agent threatened to jump to the KHL. Grigorenko may be more likely to jump because I really think if GMTM decides it needs to be a two-way contract, he won't much budge. 

I really liked what I saw from Grigorenko in the last part of the season with Gionta.

Despite his awful handling. The guy is really talented on the puck. 

If the Sabres were to retain his rights this could really work in the Sabres favor. Let him go to the KHL and learn the game. If he improves than sign him then.  

It'd be like sending him to the AHL without needing to send him through waivers. I'm in. Guys been handled like crap since the beginning here.

If we lose him, well, we lose him. Jeremy White said it on the WGR morning show this morning: when they took him he was their only chance at an elite talent, so they swung for the fences. We have 2-3 elite talents on or joining this team in the next year or so, if he doesn't make it, we'll live.

Might be leverage to force the Sabres to keep him on the active roster next year. He seems to already have contempt for the workings of NHL organizations (I don't blame him) and doesn't mind getting tricky about it. Play me, trade me, or lose me. 

This is a strong possibility. One has to consider what play me means. As in x amount of minutes in a game. Can't hold other players back because he wants top 6 minutes. I'm not saying go w/ Nolan's idea of having to earn ice time. Players do need minutes to develop, but maybe the Sabres have too many players. A trade may be the route to take. Grigorenko has worked w/ Roy before, and Roy always had positive things to say about him. 

It'd be like sending him to the AHL without needing to send him through waivers. I'm in. Guys been handled like crap since the beginning here.

If we lose him, well, we lose him. Jeremy White said it on the WGR morning show this morning: when they took him he was their only chance at an elite talent, so they swung for the fences. We have 2-3 elite talents on or joining this team in the next year or so, if he doesn't make it, we'll live.

Yes, but having 3-4 elite talents is better than having 2-3. I just don't want a James Harden situation where we trade Grigorenko for some marginal NHLers and Hodgson busts out of the league. All it takes is one playoff run where Eichel or Reinhart get hurt and we wish we still had the Russian getting 30 goals a year for the Canucks or whoever. 

I mean, look what happened this year with the Thunder. Durant is out for the year, Westbrook misses a 1/3rd and they miss the playoffs meanwhile Harden is 2nd in MVP in Houston. 

Edited by musichunch

Read an interesting Kris Baker tweet.  He says that Grigo's agent is also the agent for Radulov, Kovalchuk, Babchuk, and a couple other NHLers that went to the KHL.

Oh well, he always was a high risk, high reward pick.  Too bad we may not get anything for him.

lol to me the other two look more russian than zadorov.

Me too.  Zadorov looks more Scandinavian to me.

So his girl can legally move to the United States and live with him...in Buffalo.

Here's your answer, folks.

Yes, but having 3-4 elite talents is better than having 2-3. I just don't want a James Harden situation where we trade Grigorenko for some marginal NHLers and Hodgson busts out of the league. All it takes is one playoff run where Eichel or Reinhart get hurt and we wish we still had the Russian getting 30 goals a year for the Canucks or whoever. 

I mean, look what happened this year with the Thunder. Durant is out for the year, Westbrook misses a 1/3rd and they miss the playoffs meanwhile Harden is 2nd in MVP in Houston. 

Sure, but the point is we don't know if he IS an elite talent, unlike these other guys who are coming in. Obviously I'd love to have him turn out, if only to trade him away for a more needed position, but I'm not living and dying on his success, that's all I'm saying.

What the hell is Zadorov getting married so young for? Kids

When Ryan Tannehill had his first PC with the Miami Media after being drafted by the Dolphins, one of the questions that was asked of him was why he chose to get married at a young age. He smiled at the reporter gestured to his wife, was standing near him and said " just look at her"

There are reports that Grigo has returned to his off season residence in Canada, has anyone else seen these?

I don't want to lose him until we know what his ceiling will be but like many scenarios in life we want people who want to be here.

He has been mishandled and he has sucked it up for the most part. Now is the time for him to step up and show he belongs.

Does he want to play for Bylsma? Be a a part of the new core? Does he feel like he can't compete with Eichel, Girgensons and Reihart for top 9 minutes.

I don't want to lose him until we know what his ceiling will be but like many scenarios in life we want people who want to be here.

He has been mishandled and he has sucked it up for the most part. Now is the time for him to step up and show he belongs.

Does he want to play for Bylsma? Be a a part of the new core? Does he feel like he can't compete with Eichel, Girgensons and Reihart for top 9 minutes.

That's something that has to be on his mind. Now, I'm not saying the guy lacks confidence, but I'm sure he knows he's not guaranteed to be the 1st or 2nd line. He's going to have to show he has it. If not, he'll either be on the 3rd, he may not be happy w/ that, or sent down to the AHL. Grigorenko also has to complete w/ Larson. Why shouldn't he be on the 3rd line? There just may not be room for Grigorenko, which means he'll be spending time in the AHL not playing at the level he wants and making "no cash" in the AHL. Buffalo also has prospects in the system that are on their way up. 

Edited by Thanes16

That's the other thing to consider - the KHL is on shaky ground these days.

Something Grigs definitely has to consider. Of course there are other leagues players can go to, but I'm not sure if their pay is anywhere near the NHL and KHL's. I'll admit I do not know the average salary in the KHL, so that comment may be pointless. Let me add I wouldn't be jumping up and down if the KHL collapsed. There are KHL players that would never have a chance of playing in the NHL, so they'd lose a job they love and a source of income. But if things are that shaky in the KHL, Grigs may be "stuck" w/ the NHL/AHL. 

Only the top 70 players get above $1.5 million in the KHL. So I guess his salary would be similar in both locations (1-1.25ish?)

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/11/21/evgeny-kuznetsovs-salary-is-in-the-khls-top-ten/

I think this is a leverage tactic to go from a two way to a one way contract

Edited by ThirtyEight

Only the top 70 players get above $1.5 million in the KHL. So I guess his salary would be similar in both locations (1-1.25ish?)

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/11/21/evgeny-kuznetsovs-salary-is-in-the-khls-top-ten/

I think this is a leverage tactic to go from a two way to a one way contract

And they get to play at "home."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.