Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

I'm fairly new to the site because I lost interest in the Sabres brand of hockey for about 5 years.  I was drawn back in because of the tank and the upcoming lottery.  It's a great site and I appreciate much of the humor.  Many posters are quite clever and creative.  The photo and video on page 2 of this thread made my day for example. 

The only thing that is too bad is when posters take their opinions too seriously and are not respectful of one another.  It's not even fun to follow those threads.  I come here to get away from stress.  If I want an argument I'll talk to my wife!  There's no need to be critical if someone wants to discuss a trade that will never happen or thinks the GM is horrible.  I don't think it matters if you are a new poster or a veteran I don't think anyone likes to be called an idiot just because they have a different opinion or aren't as informed as someone else.  I think it's best when no one takes each other too seriously.    

Edited by smj

I think it was in last year's special, the one at MSG I think? Not the most recent, the one filmed "in the round."

As far as the topic of the thread ... I joined basically for the season opener coming out of the lockout and posted a ton for about 3 seasons before my kids came along. That was SEVEN years ago since I stopped showing up regularly and yet nearly every time I post, Smell greets me with "Pipes!!!!" like I am Norm walking into Cheers.

Obviously that reference dates me as one of the "old guys"... but the point is that once you establish yourself as someone who is not a total a-hole, you are always welcome. I am sure it was easier to "break in" 10 years ago when I did, but compared to most fan forums, this one is very welcoming. (I used to work for Rivals.com, those message boards on the college team sites are war zones.)

I think part of the intimidation factor is not because people are hostile but as someone else mentioned, the interesting topics are covered WELL ... it's hard to hit on something new. It's no fun to just post "I agree" ...

BtP, this isn't the 'how do we bring more geezers back' thread. :p

Good to see you back. Hope all's well w/ the family and that youbpost more often. Regards. :beer:

Good to see some noobs coming out of the woodwork. Welcome.

When I first started posting, I came out guns blazing and got in an internet tussle with korab.  I also think the first thing I read on here was somebody claiming that Gerbe was a center, followed by another poster saying something about shrader being on suicide watch.  I immediately knew that I wanted to be a part of these inside jokes.  What a mistake I have made.

When I first started posting, I came out guns blazing and got in an internet tussle with korab. I also think the first thing I read on here was somebody claiming that Gerbe was a center, followed by another poster saying something about shrader being on suicide watch. I immediately knew that I wanted to be a part of these inside jokes. What a mistake I have made.

Wait, Gerbe isn't a center?

I'm fairly new to the site because I lost interest in the Sabres brand of hockey for about 5 years.  I was drawn back in because of the tank and the upcoming lottery.  It's a great site and I appreciate much of the humor.  Many posters are quite clever and creative.  The photo and video on page 2 of this thread made my day for example. 

The only thing that is too bad is when posters take their opinions too seriously and are not respectful of one another.  It's not even fun to follow those threads.  I come here to get away from stress.  If I want an argument I'll talk to my wife!  There's no need to be critical if someone wants to discuss a trade that will never happen or thinks the GM is horrible.  I don't think it matters if you are a new poster or a veteran I don't think anyone likes to be called an idiot just because they have a different opinion or aren't as informed as someone else.  I think it's best when no one takes each other too seriously.    

A lot of this picked up shortly before Darcy saying there are tough times ahead for the Sabres. Okay, I can't remember the exact quote, but you get what I'm saying. Shiit, it probably goes further back than that. One could argue Lucic's hit on Miller is when the board started to have a little tension. People slowly began taking sides on the debate on what the Sabres should do next. You were either up for some type of restructure or a complete dismantling of the team and being dependent on the draft. I'll admit I was on the latter of the two. When people get stressed out, they'll naturally become a bit more irritable. The differing opinion turned into the "wife." Let me say this though. This was not the entire board. Majority still respected one another. However, even the ones strongly against another guys opinion were still a reason to be a part of The Aud Club. The venting, probably should use a different word, helped many have a better understanding the pros and cons of each decision made by the Sabres. It showed the amount of passion people on this board have for the Sabres. The guys that differed strongly w/ another persons opinion are valued members. Glad they are on the board. I visit other Sabres boards, but never post. There is a reason for that. Sabre Space is different. And of course different in a good way. People here are rather intelligent, know the x's and o's of the game and have a strong passion for Sabre hockey. This board is one I recommend to all Sabres fans. In my opinion, quality is greater than quantity, but let me add I hope the number of members continue to rise. Just want the noobs to be quality members. SMJ, you're off to a great start! Keep on posting! Welcome to the board! Same goes to other noobs. The future is looking rather bright right now. Let's go buffalo!  

Edited by Thanes16

I usually add a few hyphens to separate posts I didn't intend to go together, like this:

---------------

I think that or an extra couple line spaces help make it clear the posts are unrelated.  I do like the merging in GDTs when the posts more often are just running commentary on the game itself.

But the stuff before and after the hyphens are directly related. :unsure:

When I first started posting, I came out guns blazing and got in an internet tussle with korab.  I also think the first thing I read on here was somebody claiming that Gerbe was a center, followed by another poster saying something about shrader being on suicide watch.  I immediately knew that I wanted to be a part of these inside jokes.  What a mistake I have made.

I don't miss those days.  That Gerbe crap got old even faster than fax machine jokes.

I joined basically for the season opener coming out of the lockout and posted a ton for about 3 seasons before my kids came along. That was SEVEN years ago since I stopped showing up regularly and yet nearly every time I post, Smell greets me with "Pipes!!!!" like I am Norm walking into Cheers.

Thanks for getting the shorthand right -- I never feel comfortable laying claim to "Aud" as a moniker.

Our most stylish poster. Aud is not far behind.

I thought I learnt you better 'n that.

I liken it to a hobo campfire.

You may not think of yourself as a hobo.  I've got a wife and kids!  But there's a fire.  We gather around.  I don't see any wife and kids here.  Where's your precious wife and kids?  Not here.  At all.

You want to know how to fit into a hobo campfire?  Just wait for the biggest baddest hobo to get too drunk.  Then beat the ###### out of him.  He'll wake up wondering what the ###### happened.

You'll have a place at the hobo campfire, that way.  Be sure to apologize in a threatening way.  "Sorry Charlie for whooping your ass last night.  I was angry at the wife and kids."

From the TMI file: I was on the toilet when this made me LOL, especially that last bit.

I do like reading the forums but am hesitant to post something unless I feel strongly about something, which doesn't happen that often  :P . It also doesn't help that my boyfriend will yell at me if I spend too much time on the computer so I normally read the site on my phone and I hate trying to make a post from my phone.

I'm afraid of a world run by adults who were never disciplined as kids and got trophies just for participating.

I can assure you this opinion is steeped in profound ignorance. The rest of us should be more worried about those who think this way than the reverse.

BtP, this isn't the 'how do we bring more geezers back' thread. :P

Good to see you back. Hope all's well w/ the family and that you post more often. Regards. :beer:

Thanks Taro ... family is great, kids getting a bit older so hopefully I will be able to post a bit more ... reminds me I need to update the avatar

SS should be a safe place to post stuff but there are always these lurkers whose lives are so empty, just waiting to pounce on anything they think is out there. Some of these trolls have posted more than 10,000 times. I can't stand these people. I've blocked a couple at least. There are posters who say "that's the stupidest thing I ever heard" or "you're an idiot" or things like that on a regular basis. Their account should be reviewed for things like that and if they surpass a certain threshold insulting people, they should be kicked off. A few people make this a board a shaky experience at best.

People have to learn to disagree with respect. 

I'm afraid of a world run by adults who were never disciplined as kids and got trophies just for participating.

Because the world is so perfect run by adults who grew up with the opposite. :p (not the right place for this)

SS should be a safe place to post stuff but there are always these lurkers whose lives are so empty, just waiting to pounce on anything they think is out there. Some of these trolls have posted more than 10,000 times. I can't stand these people. I've blocked a couple at least. There are posters who say "that's the stupidest thing I ever heard" or "you're an idiot" or things like that on a regular basis. Their account should be reviewed for things like that and if they surpass a certain threshold insulting people, they should be kicked off. A few people make this a board a shaky experience at best.

People have to learn to disagree with respect. 

:worthy:

ok another noob poster here -

Actually I've been a member for a few years but mostly lurk.  I visit almost every day and depending on what's going on at work maybe multiple times a day.

I find this place to be filled with some incredibly knowledgeable posters and I enjoy reading many of the threads and gleaning what I can from them.  As others have said I think my lack of posting stems from not being as knowledgeable of the Sabres especially their history.  I guess I'm late to the table when it comes to the Sabres.  I really only started following them seriously over the past 4-5 years.  I didn't grow up in a sports-minded family and what sports I did watch was primarily football and some baseball.  Living outside Rochester I don't even know how much access there was to the Sabres on TV back years ago; I'm in my 50's.

I think one of my first posts had something to do with "Tyler Meyers" and I promptly got a reply complete with the  :wallbash: or :doh: to point out the error of my ways.

Other than that I've never really had any issues here.  I haven't always agreed with everything said or how some issues were handled but that's just my opinion FWIW and not something I'd ever get into an argument over.

As someone else said I think the whole "Tank vs NoTank" stream of threads over the past 2 years really hurt overall.  So many good discussions were derailed.  I'm so glad those days are over.

I guess I'm just a Sabre fan wondering what GMTM will do with our 2nd 1st round pick and what might happen in FA.  How will the team look next season, what will DDB (is that the official monker?) do with the team and how next season plays out.  While I don't feel like I can post a lot about it I certainly enjoy reading about it here and will continue to do so.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.