NHL Combine June 1-6 Buffalo

Brawndo

"McDavid had only had a few meetings, including interviews with the Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs, who have the fourth pick." ~ The Globe and Mail

The conclusion you seem to be trying to draw is that Buffalo is shopping the second pick.

Murray has always said he'll listen to anyone, but, he's pretty much committed to Eichel, or don't you agree?

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

I can't explain why 6-10 teams interviewed the consensus #2 pick.  Maybe they have dreams of trading up?  But I do understand not interviewing the consensus #1.  Concentrate your resources where they are most likely to be used.  Makes perfect sense to me.

I love Hoss's rounding skills...couple goes up to 5, and when his own GM says 10...that means 6.

Again....

WHY would SO many teams interview a guy who is a lock at #2, but not a lock at #1?

I think you answered it. It's not "dreams" however. The only logical reason is that the pick is getting floated.

"McDavid had only had a few meetings, including interviews with the Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs, who have the fourth pick." ~ The Globe and Mail

The conclusion you seem to be trying to draw is that Buffalo is shopping the second pick.

Murray has always said he'll listen to anyone, but, he's pretty much committed to Eichel, or don't you agree?

If Buffalo stays at 2, and McDavid is #1, then yes...I'm 90% sure he'd take Eichel.

I'm a Hanafin fan myself. Not to outright draft over him....but if Darcy were to want Risto back, and they sent us Hanzal and Domi..........

I love Hoss's rounding skills...couple goes up to 5, and when his own GM says 10...that means 6.

Again....

WHY would SO many teams interview a guy who is a lock at #2, but not a lock at #1?

I think you answered it. It's not "dreams" however. The only logical reason is that the pick is getting floated.

McDavid himself said a couple other than the Oilers. A couple technically means two so it was at least three total but turns out he meant three others and four total.

I said 3-5, not 5 as you attempted to get at, because couple isn't specific. It came directly from McDavid's mouth versus a GM who isn't Eichel... Unless that's your next conspiracy theory.

What, McDavid had 4?! Why? It can only mean the first pick overall is being shopped. 

GO SABRES!!!

It's being shopped and McDavid may be going back to the Toronto Marlboros.

If Buffalo stays at 2, and McDavid is #1, then yes...I'm 90% sure he'd take Eichel.

I'm a Hanafin fan myself. Not to outright draft over him....but if Darcy were to want Risto back, and they sent us Hanzal and Domi..........

NFW. 

You may as well just admit your open contempt for Jack Eichel as a prospect. First the little crack about being videotaped while underage drinking and now saying you'd settle for Hanzal and Domi. 

You either haven't seen the kid play and don't believe the hype or you just enjoy being a contrarian, regardless of the extreme to which you may need to go to. 

Hanzal and Domi for Eichel. Unreal. 

GO SABRES!!!

Just based on the past several Murray interviews it seems he's rather set to draft Eichel, assuming Eichel is there at two.

I think the far more likely concern (and, remember, this is relative to the concern over shopping the pick) is that Edmonton takes Eichel first. Many people will say the possibility of that happening is beyond remote, because, you know, McDavid is the King of Canada, born under the center ice dot of a Holy hockey rink, but I think the possibility is more aptly described as "probably remote".

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

Again....

You'd catch a lot less grief around here if instead of speaking in riddles you just came out and said what you wre thinking, that the pick is being shopped.

I'm perfectly OK with the pick being shopped.  I'll take a king's ransom coming back for him.  Can you say Eric Lindros trade?  I'll take a good bit of that.

NFW. 

You may as well just admit your open contempt for Jack Eichel as a prospect. First the little crack about being videotaped while underage drinking and now saying you'd settle for Hanzal and Domi. 

You either haven't seen the kid play and don't believe the hype or you just enjoy being a contrarian, regardless of the extreme to which you may need to go to. 

Hanzal and Domi for Eichel. Unreal. 

GO SABRES!!!

Is there any doubt about it whatsoever? I don't get why Ghost doesn't like people that are contrarian to him. Shouldn't he understand where they're coming from?

And ghost, what are your hockey reasons to doubt Risto?  I remember asking you this question before last season, but after this year you still have doubts?

On Sizzle and others saying we should be concerned that Edmonton will take Eichel: no we shouldn't. For two reasons: because they won't and because, if they do what they won't do, we get McDavid who is still the better prospect.

Plus being upset about them picking Eichel goes against everything we've said this season. It's about two. McDavid and Eichel. There were a select few who said McDavid or bust and it would go against what they said, too.

I'm beyond excited to have Eichel. I don't think I've ever been this excited about acquiring a player in the history of my sports fandom. But I would be equally excited about McDavid if that were to happen.

Edited by Hoss

You'd catch a lot less grief around here if instead of speaking in riddles you just came out and said what you wre thinking, that the pick is being shopped.

I'm perfectly OK with the pick being shopped.  I'll take a king's ransom coming back for him.  Can you say Eric Lindros trade?  I'll take a good bit of that.

That wasn't my original point though.

I felt that Murray was being a dipsh!t by pumping Eichel's tires to make up for his snide remarks at the lottery. If you truly believe he has a right to be the #1 pick...then why the hell aren't you interviewing McDavid? It has to be because you know McDavid is so much better.

Everyone told me I'm FOS....so....then if Murray truly believes Eichel could be #1, and he didn't cover his bases......then why are reports of 10 teams from Murray himself on top of others...interviewing Eichel, and nothing on McDavid?

It's almost 3 strikes on Murray.......He almost cries at the lottery, his actions are contradictory from what he says about Eichel but does otherwise, and now 1/3 of the league according to him is interviewing Eichel.

It's one of two things.....1) As much as I like Murray's vision of a team, he is more of a snake than i thought, but without the training how to do it....or 2) All is fair in love and war and he is totally setting this pick up to be shopped hard.

I felt that Murray was being a dipsh!t by pumping Eichel's tires to make up for his snide remarks at the lottery. If you truly believe he has a right to be the #1 pick...then why the hell aren't you interviewing McDavid? It has to be because you know McDavid is so much better.

Or it could be that he knows Edmonton is taking him. He also never said he has the right to be the first pick. He said he has the right to believe that he is the best player in the draft and that he had a fantastic season. But you know that.

Everyone told me I'm FOS....so....then if Murray truly believes Eichel could be #1, and he didn't cover his bases......then why are reports of 10 teams from Murray himself on top of others...interviewing Eichel, and nothing on McDavid?

Holy . He said 8-10 but you continuously stick with 10 (like you did with saying 5 when I said 3-5) to try and make your theory sound somewhat better. It's not working.

There were reports on McDavid but nobody looked for them or posted them here because we're Buffalo Sabres fans. We know we're getting Eichel so we present info on Eichel more than McDavid. But the definitive report is that McDavid interviewed 4 and Eichel interviewed 6.

It's almost 3 strikes on Murray.......He almost cries at the lottery, his actions are contradictory from what he says about Eichel but does otherwise, and now 1/3 of the league according to him is interviewing Eichel.

I'm fine with people thinking that the lottery comments were suspect because they probably were. See above for the 1/3 of the league comment.

It's one of two things.....1) As much as I like Murray's vision of a team, he is more of a snake than i thought, but without the training how to do it....or 2) All is fair in love and war and he is totally setting this pick up to be shopped hard.

I don't think the world works exclusively through the way you decide to see it.

Is there any doubt about it whatsoever? I don't get why Ghost doesn't like people that are contrarian to him. Shouldn't he understand where they're coming from?

And ghost, what are your hockey reasons to doubt Risto?  I remember asking you this question before last season, but after this year you still have doubts?

I swear...sometimes I think a few here act like a gorilla when the zookeeper who used to beat them walks by.

Please stop the Twitter/Texting/CandyCrush ADHD........slow down your minds and your eyes for just a few moments......and read what I actually say. I'm coming to the conclusion that this is the problem. I envision about a dozen or so here acting like Rosce P. Coltrane when the Duke Boys get away, every time they read something I post. There are only a handful of posters here I consider slimeballs.

Why does me thinking a trade would be good means I doubt a current player? I said multiple times Risto really grew the last 20 games of the season. I've said multiple times that Eichel is the type of center I have been begging for for years. Frankly....I'm getting tired of people projecting things onto me that they are actually doing themselves.

Slow down people......we're all going to be dead soon enough.

Just based on the past several Murray interviews it seems he's rather set to draft Eichel, assuming Eichel is there at two.

I think the far more likely concern (and, remember, this is relative to the concern over shopping the pick) is that Edmonton takes Eichel first. Many people will say the possibility of that happening is beyond remote, because, you know, McDavid is the King of Canada, born under the center ice dot of a Holy hockey rink, but I think the possibility is more aptly described as "probably remote".

Murray would play it this way:  "McDavid was my man all along.  I figured if I sold Eichel I could convince the Oilers to draft him first."  Even without the cheesy quote, McDavid is better than a consolation prize.

GMTM is playing diplomacy at a level far beyond your comprehension. "Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way." - Daniele Varè

I swear...sometimes I think a few here act like a gorilla when the zookeeper who used to beat them walks by.

Please stop the Twitter/Texting/CandyCrush ADHD........slow down your minds and your eyes for just a few moments......and read what I actually say. I'm coming to the conclusion that this is the problem. I envision about a dozen or so here acting like Rosce P. Coltrane when the Duke Boys get away, every time they read something I post. There are only a handful of posters here I consider slimeballs.

Why does me thinking a trade would be good means I doubt a current player? I said multiple times Risto really grew the last 20 games of the season. I've said multiple times that Eichel is the type of center I have been begging for for years. Frankly....I'm getting tired of people projecting things onto me that they are actually doing themselves.

Ghost, I certainly don't intend to project anything on to you but how am I to understand your assertion that you'd be OK with sending Risto and Eichel to Arizona for Hanzal and Domi? I mean I took your advice and slowed my mind down to just above absolute zero and still can't make sense of it. 

I think you're the one seeking to project things around here. 

GO SABRES!!!

Please stop the Twitter/Texting/CandyCrush ADHD........slow down your minds and your eyes for just a few moments......and read what I actually say. I'm coming to the conclusion that this is the problem. I envision about a dozen or so here acting like Rosce P. Coltrane when the Duke Boys get away, every time they read something I post. There are only a handful of posters here I consider slimeballs.

Easy, Hoss (way to ruin that saying, Dstebb).  I didn't remember that you said Risto really grew and I remembered that you had doubts about him after he was drafted (and I value your input, so I asked again :) ).  And somebody who often speaks in riddles saying "read what I actually say" is a bit silly.  I just don't understand what you're getting at whatsoever in this thread with your doubts about TM.  But you're one to read the tea leaves, and I rarely listen to sports interviews, so it's much more your domain than mine.

Ghost, I certainly don't intend to project anything on to you but how am I to understand your assertion that you'd be OK with sending Risto and Eichel to Arizona for Hanzal and Domi? I mean I took your advice and slowed my mind down to just above absolute zero and still can't make sense of it. 

I think you're the one seeking to project things around here. 

GO SABRES!!!

He said Risto for Hanzal/Domi.  EDIT: Ahh, I see he might've meant Eichel/Risto for Hanifin/Hanzal/Domi

Edited by qwksndmonster

Easy, Hoss (way to ruin that saying, Dstebb).  I didn't remember that you said Risto really grew and I remembered that you had doubts about him after he was drafted (and I value your input, so I asked again :) ).  And somebody who often speaks in riddles saying "read what I actually say" is a bit silly.  I just don't understand what you're getting at whatsoever in this thread with your doubts about TM.  But you're one to read the tea leaves, and I rarely listen to sports interviews, so it's much more your domain than mine.

He said Risto for Hanzal/Domi.  EDIT: Ahh, I see he might've meant Eichel/Risto for Hanifin/Hanzal/Domi

Thank you....I figured it was fairly obvious when I started the suggestion by saying I am a big Hanifin fan, and the trade was with Phoenix.

Too bad the moderators always think they know when I am speaking in riddles.

I don't see much in speaking in riddles, I assume the critical thinkers here will understand outright or think it through, and those just out to throw monkey crap at me have a less obvious target.

And I am not trying to be a pain to guys like you and K-9. I'm always appreciative even if we go 50/50 at times.

Yes, I forgot Hanifin. 

GO SABRES!!!

Thank you....I figured it was fairly obvious when I started the suggestion by saying I am a big Hanifin fan, and the trade was with Phoenix.

Too bad the moderators always think they know when I am speaking in riddles.

I don't see much in speaking in riddles, I assume the critical thinkers here will understand outright or think it through, and those just out to throw monkey crap at me have a less obvious target.

And I am not trying to be a pain to guys like you and K-9. I'm always appreciative even if we go 50/50 at times.

I'm not really sure as to why you're grouping me with K-9 here.  I just agreed with him that you're a contrarian, that's all.

Take it easy with accusing others of not critically thinking.  It's a message board, and a lot of the time folks are going to give stuff a quick once over. Especially at 1 in the morning.

That was Murray's best interview to date, IMHO. He comes across as human and likable. He made me chuckle several times and it was cool to hear him talking about Halo and give some insight into what goes on at home.

I dig the guy.

Well, hell ya to the hell ya or whatever we say now. Wait, we never said that. ..Fistbump. We're good. GMTM is the man.

1) I felt that Murray was being a dipsh!t by pumping Eichel's tires to make up for his snide remarks at the lottery. If you truly believe he has a right to be the #1 pick...then why the hell aren't you interviewing McDavid? It has to be because you know McDavid is so much better.

2) Everyone told me I'm FOS....so....then if Murray truly believes Eichel could be #1, and he didn't cover his bases......then why are reports of 10 teams from Murray himself on top of others...interviewing Eichel, and nothing on McDavid?

3) It's one of two things.....1) As much as I like Murray's vision of a team, he is more of a snake than i thought, but without the training how to do it....or 2) All is fair in love and war and he is totally setting this pick up to be shopped hard.

1) I think the Sabres didn't interview McDavid because he is number one on their board regardless of any interview. They can't and won't say that publicly, but they can and should say they like the fact that Eichel believes he's better. 

2) Murray never said he believes Eichel is #1. That was very noticeable to me in the WGR interview.

The numbers of interviews appear to be four for McDavid and six for Eichel, which punched a hole in your original argument. It simply tells me those are the number of teams that feel they have something to gain from those particular interviews.

I don't have enough information to speculate why those teams did those interviews. I don't even know who they were. In my opinion, gathering intel on other prospects is possible, but unlikely; considering making offers for those players and/or doing due diligence in case somebody slips are more likely.

3) Or maybe he is neither a snake, nor shopping Eichel hard. Maybe he is just the opposite of Russ Brandon and his lack of a good filter gets him into trouble. 

I think the only way your argument holds water is if Murray is pretending to like Eichel. And I just don't see the evidence. He loves McDavid, wanted him desperately, and ###### up socially when he basically acknowledged that at the lottery. He loves Eichel less, but he still loves him and plans to pick him unless some team makes a stupid offer.

Edited by dudacek

Hanifin/Domi/Hanzal for Ristolainen/Eichel is a trade I would never ever ever make.  I'm not sold on Hanifin and think that you'd be lucky if he turns out as good as Risto, and Risto already has 2 years of development under his belt.  Domi is a good prospect and Hanzal is a quality 3rd line center who misses time often.  Eichel is a franchise cornerstone, and trading him away makes us worse now and in the future.

Why trade away the best center in the franchise when we're finally going to have the problem at center ice solved?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.