NHL Combine June 1-6 Buffalo

Brawndo

I'm not really sure as to why you're grouping me with K-9 here.  I just agreed with him that you're a contrarian, that's all.

Take it easy with accusing others of not critically thinking.  It's a message board, and a lot of the time folks are going to give stuff a quick once over. Especially at 1 in the morning.

And don't assume that something is in a negative tone when you read it. You ARE one of the biggest critical thinkers here. I'm giving K9 a tough time in another thread so I just grouped you 2 as posters I like but we go at it now and then. PA almost always understands what I am saying. Taro does too and X is close, but they have always leaned sunshine and kittens. They are always respectful though. Now by me saying that, don't think I am saying you aren't.

I suggest people try an exercise. If there is a poster you don't agree with or like, try to read it in a Jack Handy voice. I think too many people read me in the voice of Yosemitie Sam, and they get riled up for no reason.

And don't assume that something is in a negative tone when you read it. You ARE one of the biggest critical thinkers here. I'm giving K9 a tough time in another thread so I just grouped you 2 as posters I like but we go at it now and then. PA almost always understands what I am saying. Taro does too and X is close, but they have always leaned sunshine and kittens. They are always respectful though. Now by me saying that, don't think I am saying you aren't.

I suggest people try an exercise. If there is a poster you don't agree with or like, try to read it in a Jack Handy voice. I think too many people read me in the voice of Yosemitie Sam, and they get riled up for no reason.

I wasn't assuming you were saying it about me.  And you were the one assuming that I was talking to you in a negative tone up-thread. Hehe

Man, you really do not like Risto.

So you wouldn't trade him for the #3 pick in a draft where that would usually be the # 1 pick? I think Hanifin will be a true #1 in short order. I'm sure if Arizona was interested, you could grab another prospect or a pick or 2. Hanzal scores more goals than Eichel next year is my guess.

I wasn't assuming you were saying it about me.  And you were the one assuming that I was talking to you in a negative tone up-thread. Hehe

fair enough.....hugs....

1) I think the Sabres didn't interview McDavid because he is number one on their board regardless of any interview. They can't and won't say that publicly, but they can and should say they like the fact that Eichel believes he's better. 

2) Murray never said he believes Eichel is #1. That was very noticeable to me in the WGR interview.

The numbers of interviews appear to be four for McDavid and six for Eichel, which punched a hole in your original argument. It simply tells me those are the number of teams that feel they have something to gain from those particular interviews.

I don't have enough information to speculate why those teams did those interviews. I don't even know who they were. In my opinion, gathering intel on other prospects is possible, but unlikely; considering making offers for those players and/or doing due diligence in case somebody slips are more likely.

3) Or maybe he is neither a snake, nor shopping Eichel hard. Maybe he is just the opposite of Russ Brandon and his lack of a good filter gets him into trouble. 

I think the only way your argument holds water is if Murray is pretending to like Eichel. And I just don't see the evidence. He loves McDavid, wanted him desperately, and ###### up socially when he basically acknowledged that at the lottery. He loves Eichel less, but he still loves him and plans to pick him unless some team makes a stupid offer.

Then Tim Murray just told his daughter with the club foot, "Sure honey....you can be the lead in the ballet at the Met next year!"

If he thought there was even a 5% chance Eichel goes first, he should be all over a McDavid interview. You may see something on McDavid hit the media the next few weeks for all we know.

Hanzal scored over 11 goals just twice in his 8 year NHL career.  15 in '13-'14 and 16 in '10-'11 (Remaining 6: three 11 goal seasons and three 8 goal seasons).  He's not played over 65 games in a season since 2009-2010, when he played 81 games.  Some of the lack of scoring comes from the fact that he missed so much time, most of it is lack of goal scoring ability.

I really like Hanzal, too.  There's just no way I'd ever give up anything of great value for him.  Especially not at this point.

So you wouldn't trade him for the #3 pick in a draft where that would usually be the # 1 pick? I think Hanifin will be a true #1 in short order. I'm sure if Arizona was interested, you could grab another prospect or a pick or 2. Hanzal scores more goals than Eichel next year is my guess.

Charity bet?

Hanzal scored over 11 goals just twice in his 8 year NHL career.  15 in '13-'14 and 16 in '10-'11 (Remaining 6: three 11 goal seasons and three 8 goal seasons).  He's not played over 65 games in a season since 2009-2010, when he played 81 games.  Some of the lack of scoring comes from the fact that he missed so much time, most of it is lack of goal scoring ability.

I really like Hanzal, too.  There's just no way I'd ever give up anything of great value for him.  Especially not at this point.

Charity bet?

I'm in.

Whatever works....no terms, just NHL goals scored next year. 

Do you think he will answer that before the draft?

Yep. I think he already did.

A few weeks back GMTM said that would be the conversation with Eich at the combine. And I think they had that conversation.

When Eich was asked why other teams were interviewing him, he answered that other teams told him he might be a free agent someday.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One thing I think GMTM did a nice job of doing was keeping the focus on Eichel, he really didn't answer any questions about who else they interviewed or why. GMTM's draft board is still pretty much a mystery to me.  The radio wants to talk about Eichel. GMTM probably thinks, great, I'll talk about him as long as you want. 

Anyone know who else the Sabres interviewed? 

Edited by X. Benedict

I love Hoss's rounding skills...couple goes up to 5, and when his own GM says 10...that means 6.

Again....

WHY would SO many teams interview a guy who is a lock at #2, but not a lock at #1?

I think you answered it. It's not "dreams" however. The only logical reason is that the pick is getting floated.

You think Murray is floating #2?  

No I wouldn't trade him for the #3 pick.  If defenders take longer than forwards you are retarding the team by a couple of years because you just traded a defender who is rounding into shape for one you now have to break in from scratch.  

I am not sure if you are also suggesting trading pick #2.  

Or it could be that he knows Edmonton is taking him. He also never said he has the right to be the first pick. He said he has the right to believe that he is the best player in the draft and that he had a fantastic season. But you know that.

Holy ######. He said 8-10 but you continuously stick with 10 (like you did with saying 5 when I said 3-5) to try and make your theory sound somewhat better. It's not working.

There were reports on McDavid but nobody looked for them or posted them here because we're Buffalo Sabres fans. We know we're getting Eichel so we present info on Eichel more than McDavid. But the definitive report is that McDavid interviewed 4 and Eichel interviewed 6.

I gotta be honest.  Nobody outside of a couple posters care if he was interviewed by 8 or 10 or 6.  It just doesn't matter.  

Then Tim Murray just told his daughter with the club foot, "Sure honey....you can be the lead in the ballet at the Met next year!"

If he thought there was even a 5% chance Eichel goes first, he should be all over a McDavid interview. You may see something on McDavid hit the media the next few weeks for all we know.

No he didn't. He showed one of the best NHL prospects in the past decade he is focused on him with the #2 pick.

I already said Murray doesn't think there is a chance Eichel will go first. I think you and I both agree on that.

But say he does. Why does he need to interview McDavid?

He doesn't expect him to be available at 2, but if he is, he will draft him there and no interview is going to change that.

Eichel is not a fragile girl with a club foot and impossible dreams. He is the consensus second pick of 2015 draft. 

He knows it. Everybody knows it.

Yep. I think he already did.

A few weeks back GMTM said that would be the conversation with Eich at the combine. And I think they had that conversation.

When Eich was asked why other teams were interviewing him, he answered that other teams told him he might be a free agent someday.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One thing I think GMTM did a nice job of doing was keeping the focus on Eichel, he really didn't answer any questions about who else they interviewed or why. GMTM's draft board is still pretty much a mystery to me.  The radio wants to talk about Eichel. GMTM probably thinks, great, I'll talk about him as long as you want. 

Anyone know who else the Sabres interviewed? 

In regards to other teams interviewing him its because Murray has put out feelers and wants feedback on what he would command or multiple teams will offer sheet him when he reaches RFA status. :blink:   Don't trade our boy GMTM . Stick to the plan.

In regards to other teams interviewing him its because Murray has put out feelers and wants feedback on what he would command or multiple teams will offer sheet him when he reaches RFA status. :blink:   Don't trade our boy GMTM . Stick to the plan.

Huh? The Sabres are picking and keeping Eichel, but the  Sabres also  pick at #21 and #31. I just want to know what players they interviewed. 

Eichel and Risto for #3, Hanzal and Domi is a bizarro Wookie proposal. I wouldn't do Eichel alone for those three pieces. Hanzal is a 3rd liner on the downside of his career and while Domi is a great prospect, he's a winger in the NHL and not even close to the level of Eichel.

So that really leaves us with Hanifin. I'm not going to pretend to be a scout, but when I've seen him I tend to agree with Button's assessment: he lacks high end offensive skill and instinct. The fact that he couldn't get any real PP time at the World Juniors is pretty telling to me on that front. I wouldn't take him at #3 period, let alone give up Eichel to get him. I've seen nothing to indicate (in only a handful of viewings, granted) that he does anything better than Risto. Risto is also two years into his development and we know, at the very least, he isn't a bust.

The Sabres have spent so long without a franchise center that I cannot fathom you're so willing to deal, at worst, a prospect on the level of MacKinnon/Tavares/Stamkos for a defensive prospect who wouldn't sniff the #1 overall pick in any but maybe 2 drafts in the last decade. Completr insanity.

I gotta be honest. Nobody outside of a couple posters care if he was interviewed by 8 or 10 or 6. It just doesn't matter.

Right. But Drane does and was basing his entire argument on the idea that 1/3 of the league interviewed Eichel but we hadn't hear about anybody else interviewing McDavid. That has since been clarified which tears down the argument.

Otherwise it doesn't matter if 37 teams interviewed Eichel.

Just to finally set this in stone: during Eichel's media scrum yesterday he said he talked to FIVE (5) teams.

Edited by Hoss

Right. But Drane does and was basing his entire argument on the idea that 1/3 of the league interviewed Eichel but we hadn't hear about anybody else interviewing McDavid. That has since been clarified which tears down the argument.

Otherwise it doesn't matter if 37 teams interviewed Eichel.

Just to finally set this in stone: during Eichel's media scrum yesterday he said he talked to FIVE (5) teams.

But how much is five? Someone needs to beat that question to death in the name of TRUTH

But how much is five? Someone needs to beat that question to death in the name of TRUTH

In Roman numerals, 5 is written as 'V', it is also the date of November 5th that we should always remember, and V is in the title 'V For Vendetta', Inkman's avatar is Guy Fawkes from the movie, and hence the truth behind the number 5 is whatever inkman decides it should be because the British government is hiding its true purpose from all of us. 

No he didn't. He showed one of the best NHL prospects in the past decade he is focused on him with the #2 pick.

I already said Murray doesn't think there is a chance Eichel will go first. I think you and I both agree on that.

But say he does. Why does he need to interview McDavid?

He doesn't expect him to be available at 2, but if he is, he will draft him there and no interview is going to change that.

Eichel is not a fragile girl with a club foot and impossible dreams. He is the consensus second pick of 2015 draft. 

He knows it. Everybody knows it.

Then why blow an interview on Eichel? If you would take McDavid without interviewing him, why not Eichel? Especially since the team which send out pamphlets bragging about all their 1st and 2nd picks.....wouldn't it make more sense to interview a guy in the 10-15 range? You only have 10 interviews. What could Eichel possibly say in an interview that would stop you from drafting him? He's not telling you he's going back to college even if he is thinking about it.

In Roman numerals, 5 is written as 'V', it is also the date of November 5th that we should always remember, and V is in the title 'V For Vendetta', Inkman's avatar is Guy Fawkes from the movie, and hence the truth behind the number 5 is whatever inkman decides it should be because the British government is hiding its true purpose from all of us. 

The British, I knew all along. 

Then why blow an interview on Eichel? If you would take McDavid without interviewing him, why not Eichel? Especially since the team which send out pamphlets bragging about all their 1st and 2nd picks.....wouldn't it make more sense to interview a guy in the 10-15 range? You only have 10 interviews. What could Eichel possibly say in an interview that would stop you from drafting him? He's not telling you he's going back to college even if he is thinking about it.

Waste? They needed to talk to him. A lot of off-season plans depend on the kid. 

Can you imagine Eichel returning to college precisely because the organization didn't take the time to talk to him when they could have? 

Besides, I can't imagine GMTM not asking the kid point blank: "When we draft you in 3 weeks, will you be ready to play for the Buffalo Sabres in October?" 

A wonderful distillation of the nonsense in this thread.

Waste? They needed to talk to him. A lot of off-season plans depend on the kid. 

Can you imagine Eichel returning to college precisely because the organization didn't take the time to talk to him when they could have? 

Besides, I can't imagine GMTM not asking the kid point blank: "When we draft you in 3 weeks, will you be ready to play for the Buffalo Sabres in October?" 

I would interview him too.

This whole thing is just a little off to me. I'm not saying they want to trade the pick, but it feels like he would be open to it, and not for some Lindros deal...Eichel isn't Lindros...Lindros was a certified bull.

d

I would interview him because he is almost certainly the kid you are taking and it is the start of what you hope will be the beginning of a lifetime relationship.

Separate from the point, do you only get 10 interviews? I hadn't heard that. Don't doubt you, but it seems low.

I would interview him too.

This whole thing is just a little off to me. I'm not saying they want to trade the pick, but it feels like he would be open to it, and not for some Lindros deal...Eichel isn't Lindros...Lindros was a certified bull.

I guess I don't get it. This is arguably the most important pick of GMTM's life, so the easiest explanation is simply one of due diligence. 

Eichel's not Lindros? I guess i'm just not following. I don't think there is any chance the #2 pick is trade-bait. 

Edited by X. Benedict

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.