Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

Or maybe he's just from a different generation where he truly meant that as a compliment.

I don't think it's a generational issue. I think it's a worldview issue.

Not a big deal. But, as I said, it catches my ear in an unpleasant way. And this is coming from someone who is conscientiously raising my kids in a Christian faith, serves on committees at my church, gives as generously as I can to my church, etc.

I do not find that kind of thing, in this kind of context, to be in any way offensive. 

Nor would I call it offensive.

I thought it was your edit, but whatever. I'd offer sheet Toffoli in a heartbeat if I could fill out the rest of the roster to sniff the playoffs. But gunning for a 40+ point improvement and gambling on it with what could be a high lottery pick is one hell of a risk.

It was, actually. Lol. But, I think this team could make the playoffs...

Kane - Eichel - Ennis

Moulson - Reinhart - Toffoli

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson - Kaleta

Gorges - Bogosian

Zadorov - Ristolainen

McCabe - Pysyk

(And that is without any other additions, just the offer sheet for Toffoli.)

Or he thinks the Sabres will finish worse than the other team's whose picks they own.

I would understand that more with a 1st or 2nd round pick, but it's a 3rd...still think it has to do with RFA's, no matter what he says. And I still think Toffoli will be his target. (Hockey Hotline mentioned Tarasenko...not happening.)

EDIT: And I do not think that. He wants to win and he is building towards that now. He has previously said that he doesn't plan to use all his draft picks on prospects...and I take that as this year and next year.

Edited by Bob Malooga

I don't want to be misunderstood: I admire all of what you just attributed to him. I just don't like when a guy like Pegula gets out there with the "Christian" label. Makes me think of sh!t like . . .

tebowing.png

My point being: If you're a Christian, and you're into being a Christian, and being with other Christians, just do it (sorry) - just be it. No need to yammer about it. If you do yammer about it, I will question your sincerity and/or authenticity. Or at least smirk and roll my eyes.

So, you basically don't understand Christianity. You're not supposed to hide it. Of course, saying you are a Christian, and actually living your life as one are two different things.The whole preach often, and if necessary, use words.

I'm a little uncomfortable to where this discussion is going. Sadly, though, this type of antagonistic relationship with Christianity is becoming more common these days. (sigh)

And I actually came here because I was excited Duffer asked Dan about the "Disco Dan" nickname and mentioned he's a natural to attend the World's Largest Disco. Good stuff.

Edited by MBHockey13

So, you basically don't understand Christianity. 

I think I understand it quite well. And I would hope that the Josephites, Franciscans, and Jesuits who taught me from Kindergarten through my post-graduate degrees would agree. And I would hope that my pastor would agree; I trust he might, as he re-appointed me to the finance committee for another two years.

I know that I live the faith far less well than I understand it. 

I'm not trying to cause offense. I just don't cotton to that sort of talk is all.

Edited by That Aud Smell

It was, actually. Lol. But, I think this team could make the playoffs...

Kane - Eichel - Ennis

Moulson - Reinhart - Toffoli

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson - Kaleta

Gorges - Bogosian

Zadorov - Ristolainen

McCabe - Pysyk

(And that is without any other additions, just the offer sheet for Toffoli.)

I would understand that more with a 1st or 2nd round pick, but it's a 3rd...still think it has to do with RFA's, no matter what he says. And I still think Toffoli will be his target. (Hockey Hotline mentioned Tarasenko...not happening.)

Any team with Gorges on the top pair and two rookie centers in the top-6 is not a playoff team in my eyes. I love that lineup's long term potential, but year 1 I see as a very rocky ride.

I think I understand it quite well. And I would hope that the Josephites, Franciscans, and Jesuits who taught me from Kindergarten through my post-graduate degrees would agree.

I know that I live it far less well than I understand it. 

I'm not trying to cause offense. I just don't cotton to that sort of talk is all.

I'm not shy about attending Mass every Sunday and trying to be a better Christian/Catholic. I don't go around shouting about it - and I would be the last person to hold myself up as any type of example of how you should live your life - but I don't deny it, either. And yes, even though there are tons of hypocrites and bad people who claim to be Christian, and there are wonderful people who don't attend church services, I do tend to view someone with a strong faith a little more favorably than someone who doesn't. I definitely don't feel uncomfortable when someone makes mention that they're a Christian. Not sure why I would.

It's all about context for me.

I apologize for having caused any offense.

No problem. I'm probably a little overly sensitive about that kind of thing myself. Everyone's a little defensive these days. 

Still, nothing about Disco Dan and the World's Largest Disco?

I don't think it's a generational issue. I think it's a worldview issue.

Not a big deal. But, as I said, it catches my ear in an unpleasant way. And this is coming from someone who is conscientiously raising my kids in a Christian faith, serves on committees at my church, gives as generously as I can to my church, etc.

Nor would I call it offensive.

I don't think it's a generational thing or a Christian thing or whatever. I just think it's Terry Pegula. The dude is just kind of a goof. He says weird things that make you tip your head to the side and go "eh?"

No...that's the picture.

It's a 30% smile of amazement, as in..."Are you F'n kidding me?"....and Bylsma is smiling at the reaction.

Does it really matter what TM is smiling at or why he is smiling?  IT'S A SMILE!  I just thought it was unusual compared to his usual "i'm mad at the world" look.

Does this make you feel better?

Justin Kea

Daniel Catenacci

Jerome Leduc

Kevin Sundher

Matt McKenzie

Brayden McNabb

Corey Fienhage

Corey Tropp

MA Gragnani

Andrej Sekera

Clarke MacArthur

Michael Tessier

John Adams

So there is a 30% chance he becomes an NHLers, with 0% chance being a difference maker.

...and the more picks you have the more the odds go up that you find a player that will make it to the show.  I just don't like the idea of accumulating all these draft picks and then start including them in every single transaction.

I'm not shy about attending Mass every Sunday and trying to be a better Christian/Catholic. I don't go around shouting about it - and I would be the last person to hold myself up as any type of example of how you should live your life - but I don't deny it, either. And yes, even though there are tons of hypocrites and bad people who claim to be Christian, and there are wonderful people who don't attend church services, I do tend to view someone with a strong faith a little more favorably than someone who doesn't. I definitely don't feel uncomfortable when someone makes mention that they're a Christian. Not sure why I would.

You really shouldn't.

Does it really matter what TM is smiling at or why he is smiling?  IT'S A SMILE!  I just thought it was unusual compared to his usual "i'm mad at the world" look.

...and the more picks you have the more the odds go up that you find a player that will make it to the show.  I just don't like the idea of accumulating all these draft picks and then start including them in every single transaction.

But that was half of the reason to acquire so many assets--not to use them all as they are, but to flip them into something else.

You really shouldn't.

But that was half of the reason to acquire so many assets--not to use them all as they are, but to flip them into something else.

Not saying he has to keep all of them.

Well I just hope he is more right than wrong when dealing picks...

Two 2nd rounders for Gorges

A 1st plus Armia(1st) plus Lemieux(1st pick of 2nd round) in Winnipeg trade

Two 2nd rounders for Fasching and Deslauriers

Edited by LabattBlue

I think I understand it quite well. And I would hope that the Josephites, Franciscans, and Jesuits who taught me from Kindergarten through my post-graduate degrees would agree. And I would hope that my pastor would agree; I trust he might, as he re-appointed me to the finance committee for another two years.

I know that I live the faith far less well than I understand it. 

Ah, schooled by the Jesuits, no wonder you're so confused!  ;)

You really shouldn't.

Why not? That's your opinion. We all make opinions about people differently than others. Judge not lest you be judged and all that but there are things I definitely admire in people that maybe others don't value the same way.

Not saying he has to keep all of them.

Well I just hope he is more right than wrong when dealing picks...

Two 2nd rounders for Gorges

A 1st plus Armia(1st) plus Lemieux(1st pick of 2nd round) in Winnipeg trade

Two 2nd rounders for Fasching and Deslauriers

That's probably the one that ends up looking ugly.

It was just one, Minnesota's. I think this year, though it might be next.

Okay, less ugly.

Why not? That's your opinion. We all make opinions about people differently than others. Judge not lest you be judged and all that but there are things I definitely admire in people that maybe others don't value the same way.

Religious faith (or lack thereof) is a really bad proxy for quality of person. 

Religious faith (or lack thereof) is a really bad proxy for quality of person. 

This thread got really ugly. This I wholeheartedly agree with. The thoughts that everybody needs faith in religion in order to be a moral agent is a line of thinking that needs to continue to disappear.

This thread got really ugly. This I wholeheartedly agree with. The thoughts that everybody needs faith in religion in order to be a moral agent is a line of thinking that needs to continue to disappear.

I disagree. That is why we have different religions and different faiths and different opinions. But I have my values and beliefs and it's only natural to admire that in others. But there are many aspects to make me the person I am and the person I want to become and being a Catholic Christian is one of those things. I'm not going to hide or deny that. But I admire people of strong Jewish faith or Christian faith of other denominations as well. I'm not going to apologize for it, either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.