64 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Sabres Jerseys, Pick three

• 1970-96 Home "Classic" White
    • 1970-96 Away "Classic" Blue
    • 1996-06 Home "Goat" White
    • 2000-06 Alternate "Red Crossing Sabres"
    • Winter Classic Jersey
    • 2011 Alternate 40th Anniversary

I know that is accepted practice to lump 1970-1996 as the same classic jersey but anyone that has done any collecting will tell you how those jerseys varied over the years. Ragtag, stitched together mismatched colors, hockey sweaters were never so religiously thought of until recently. The crest, those meant something. The sweaters themselves, not so much.

Just my two cents, carry on.

Someone must have that picture of the 70s jersey where the buffalo on the crest as all stretched out... Maybe one of the HoF players?

People may wrongly associate the colors as Adelphia colors. I don't know that Rigas had enough clout to control that decision in 1995 and 1996. He was investing heavily in the team, but of course he didn't own it yet. I am hedging my bets with wishy washy language because I really don't know. It seems to me that criticism of the colors is something that evolved after the Adelphia scandal.

It sure took the Sabres long enough to abandon those colors, from the time of Rigas losing the team (2002) to the slug jersey being introduced (2006). The one thing I've never understood is why Quinn/Goli had the team skate out in the old blue and gold at the end of the 2002-2003 season if they didn't intend on going back to that look right away

I have no hard evidence, but I think the change to red/black was entirely $$$ driven.  The number one selling sports jerseys at that time were Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan.  The FO was just trying to cash in.....

Feel like there's something up with the poll operation.  Because OP editted the poll, I had to delete my vote (no biggy), but now I get an error (despite checking the requisite three boxes or any number of boxes):

You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

Only one poll question is visible.

Also, dem socks:

one_lafontaine03.jpg

Also the triple-triple stripes from '77-'78 aren't bad either.

robert_rene_215x285_sabres.jpg

I voted for the 2011 alternates, which overall, are a heck of a nice sweater with a vintage theme.

I know it's not popular, but I have never been a fan of the blue, white, and gold color scheme.  It's not attractive.  

I loved it when we went to the red, white, and black.  They looked mean.  Not a fan of the goat's head, but who is?

I love our classic logo...in a red/white/black/silver type color scheme could be really cool.  I guess our history/tradition is what it is, though, and so blue, white and gold is what it's going to be.  That's OK.

I do wish they would dial in the blue color better though; I like a deep navy blue for that.  

I guess we have different ideas of what constitutes busy. 4 colors. Weird angles. Unequal spacing in the stripes. That ###### is busy.,

I find the current unis busier than I prefer too,

Look at Chicago for what a black jersey should be. 1999 is about right.

If the marketplace means anything the old black/red/white Sabres colors live on in hundreds of youth and high school teams. It's a popular combination. The side stripes are a unique and distinctive feature. Edited by Promonov Robotnik

If the marketplace means anything the old black/red/white Sabres colors live on in hundreds of youth and high school teams. It's a popular combination. The side stripes are a unique and distinctive feature.

The fact that it's so popular with pee-wee teams proves it's bush league.

That blue is brilliant. Who in their right mind wouldn't want their athletes looking so magnificent. It saddens me where are currently with the jersey. At least it isn't a goat head or buffaslug.

Yes, that blue is untouchable. Idiots still in charge of the uniforms over there...