A counterpoint on the dread about Edmonton

mjd1001

Basically, what we have heard for the last week or so is not much but negative comments about Edmonton:  The NHL hates they won the Lottery. The east coast will hardly see McDavid play becauuse of late start times.  It is the worst city to play in. No one wants to go there. They are going to screw McDavid up. "Anywhere" but Edmonton...etc.  But, after having thought about it for a while, I don't see it so poorly anymore.

-The NHL doesn't want Edmonton to have McDavid because there will be less marketing there and a lot of poeple won't see him play. So what?  I really don't care TOO much about what the bean-counters of the NHL say.

-Edmonton will screw him up.  Really?  New coaching staff (maybe another)  New GM, basically a whole new front office.  Soon to be a brand new (and rather nice looking) building.  I don't think that is an issue.

-Edmonton will likely be turning into a really good team that will be on TV more than they are now.  Even when they get better, the team the way it is built will NOT be a defensive juggernaut.  They are likely to score as many goals as any 'good' team now and allow as many (or more) than the 'good' teams do now. What is not to like?

-People make fun of Edmonton. Why?  Who has actually been there?  Sure, it gets cold, REALLY cold, but most of the people who live there are as used to that just like those of us in Buffalo are used to our winters. The downtown area actually isn't that bad, and they are going to have a nice new arena. Who are we in Buffalo to be making fun of another city (yes, I have heard people here ripping on the city of Edmonton).

-Finally, when staying up late to watch some games (especially on Saturday nights), it will be kinda nice to see a good Edmonton team be featured against a good Calgary team (the Battle of Alberta.)  To see a rivalry not only with Calgary but with a rising Winnipeg team also.  It will be nice for a change to see a top rivalry that is new...not LA/Anaheim....Chicago/St. Louis/Detroit....Montreal/Boston.  

I think Edmonton has gotten really lucky...but instead of hating on the team and the city...I'm kinda happy for them.

Basically, what we have heard for the last week or so is not much but negative comments about Edmonton: The NHL hates they won the Lottery. The east coast will hardly see McDavid play becauuse of late start times. It is the worst city to play in. No one wants to go there. They are going to screw McDavid up. "Anywhere" but Edmonton...etc. But, after having thought about it for a while, I don't see it so poorly anymore.

-The NHL doesn't want Edmonton to have McDavid because there will be less marketing there and a lot of poeple won't see him play. So what? I really don't care TOO much about what the bean-counters of the NHL say.

-Edmonton will screw him up. Really? New coaching staff (maybe another) New GM, basically a whole new front office. Soon to be a brand new (and rather nice looking) building. I don't think that is an issue.

-Edmonton will likely be turning into a really good team that will be on TV more than they are now. Even when they get better, the team the way it is built will NOT be a defensive juggernaut. They are likely to score as many goals as any 'good' team now and allow as many (or more) than the 'good' teams do now. What is not to like?

-People make fun of Edmonton. Why? Who has actually been there? Sure, it gets cold, REALLY cold, but most of the people who live there are as used to that just like those of us in Buffalo are used to our winters. The downtown area actually isn't that bad, and they are going to have a nice new arena. Who are we in Buffalo to be making fun of another city (yes, I have heard people here ripping on the city of Edmonton).

-Finally, when staying up late to watch some games (especially on Saturday nights), it will be kinda nice to see a good Edmonton team be featured against a good Calgary team (the Battle of Alberta.) To see a rivalry not only with Calgary but with a rising Winnipeg team also. It will be nice for a change to see a top rivalry that is new...not LA/Anaheim....Chicago/St. Louis/Detroit....Montreal/Boston.

I think Edmonton has gotten really lucky...but instead of hating on the team and the city...I'm kinda happy for them.

1) Theres nothing to think that a McT or him/his coach is moving on. There's just no evidence to suggest this.

2) I don't think anyone has been making fun of the City of Edmonton

3) We're going to want to stay up late to watch the Battle of Alberta? No thanks

Well they have moved Mac T out of a position that impacts the product on the ice so there is that. Things are looking up for that team. It won't take too much to get that team on the right course.

I'm pretty sure people have been saying this every year for the past 3 years.

I think Edmonton will become really good and soon. McDavid will get all the credit but their other top picks are all pretty good too. Now they can move one of their younger talents and take more risky moves to improving their defense and goaltending. Top end players will want to play there now because McDavid is there along with other high flying forwards. That said, i like Eichel and think he's a great fit here and if we ever meet McDavid in a meaningful game, it'll be in the finals.

I think Edmonton will become really good and soon. McDavid will get all the credit but their other top picks are all pretty good too. Now they can move one of their younger talents and take more risky moves to improving their defense and goaltending. Top end players will want to play there now because McDavid is there along with other high flying forwards. That said, i like Eichel and think he's a great fit here and if we ever meet McDavid in a meaningful game, it'll be in the finals.

I agree. Edmonton has a lot of talent they can use, or trade. I think there will be plenty of players who take Edmonton off of their no trade list and quite a few free agents who will be willing to go to Edmonton now

I agree. Edmonton has a lot of talent they can use, or trade. I think there will be plenty of players who take Edmonton off of their no trade list and quite a few free agents who will be willing to go to Edmonton now

Very doubtful.

Pronger was on a SC Finalist there and still asked to be traded. (Yeah, special circumstances, still, it happened and they haven't sniffed the playoffs since.)

McDavid will make a difference, but Edmonton will not become a FA Mecca. The '80's Eulers were home grown for the most part. If this squad is to repeat it'll take smart drafting beyond the 1st round and smart trades. Chiarelli being there gives them hope the trading can happen, but only if he learned fom his mistakes. Which is possible; he seems to be a bright guy.

I don't have much faith in their scouting. Unless that's upgraded, it'll be an upward slog to get over the top.

Basically, what we have heard for the last week or so is not much but negative comments about Edmonton:  The NHL hates they won the Lottery. The east coast will hardly see McDavid play becauuse of late start times.  It is the worst city to play in. No one wants to go there. They are going to screw McDavid up. "Anywhere" but Edmonton...etc.  But, after having thought about it for a while, I don't see it so poorly anymore.

-The NHL doesn't want Edmonton to have McDavid because there will be less marketing there and a lot of poeple won't see him play. So what?  I really don't care TOO much about what the bean-counters of the NHL say.

-Edmonton will screw him up.  Really?  New coaching staff (maybe another)  New GM, basically a whole new front office.  Soon to be a brand new (and rather nice looking) building.  I don't think that is an issue.

-Edmonton will likely be turning into a really good team that will be on TV more than they are now.  Even when they get better, the team the way it is built will NOT be a defensive juggernaut.  They are likely to score as many goals as any 'good' team now and allow as many (or more) than the 'good' teams do now. What is not to like?

-People make fun of Edmonton. Why?  Who has actually been there?  Sure, it gets cold, REALLY cold, but most of the people who live there are as used to that just like those of us in Buffalo are used to our winters. The downtown area actually isn't that bad, and they are going to have a nice new arena. Who are we in Buffalo to be making fun of another city (yes, I have heard people here ripping on the city of Edmonton).

-Finally, when staying up late to watch some games (especially on Saturday nights), it will be kinda nice to see a good Edmonton team be featured against a good Calgary team (the Battle of Alberta.)  To see a rivalry not only with Calgary but with a rising Winnipeg team also.  It will be nice for a change to see a top rivalry that is new...not LA/Anaheim....Chicago/St. Louis/Detroit....Montreal/Boston.  

You know who lives in Edmonton? Poopy-heads, that's who.

Chiarelli says he'd like them to get heavier and harder to play against. Gone will be the 80's ideal of run and gun which Mac T had mistakenly clung to. Mac T didn't have a clue about team building which is obvious. Chiarelli will do what it takes to turn this around and it'll be a quick turnaround imo. He has the pieces to move.

If this has been mentioned in another thread and I missed it I do apologize.

With Chiarelli now in charge of the Oilers, what are the chances that McDavid is not the #1 pick. I would think that being in Boston that Chiarelli has had a pretty good look at the kid and taking into consideration the type of teams he had in Boston, it would make sense that Eichel is more of a Chiarelli type player. 

So, what are the chances McDavid ends up a Sabre without the need of a trade?

Good post OP.  I was annoyed at first because I hate how an inept front office keeps getting 1st overall picks.  I feel bad for the fans because they are beyond incompetent.  However, with the changing of the guard slowly happening over there, I feel better about it.

I was really rooting for arizona if we didnt get it because it may help them avoid relocation.  At least toronto and carolina didnt get him.  

If this has been mentioned in another thread and I missed it I do apologize.

With Chiarelli now in charge of the Oilers, what are the chances that McDavid is not the #1 pick. I would think that being in Boston that Chiarelli has had a pretty good look at the kid and taking into consideration the type of teams he had in Boston, it would make sense that Eichel is more of a Chiarelli type player. 

So, what are the chances McDavid ends up a Sabre without the need of a trade?

Depends. Primarily upon whether Chiarelli has 'shortest tenured GM in history' on his bucket list or not. ;)

Depends. Primarily upon whether Chiarelli has 'shortest tenured GM in history' on his bucket list or not. ;)

I am going to go out on a limb and guess the main reason the Oilers hired Chiarelli is that they want to model their team after the Boston Bruins. I can easily see Chiarelli looking at the two and preferring Eichel. Add that with the miserable failure the Oilers have been with the drafting according to Hoyle mentality they have had, it shouldn't be surprising if the Oilers do draft Eichel #1. I can see it as an easy sell to ownership and the fans. The two players are close enough in talent where taking the guy who may be rated #2 but fits the type of team you want to build much better makes a ton of sense. 

To be 100%, I would be disappointed if the Oilers did draft Eichel #1.

Edited by DeLuca1967

I am going to go out on a limb and guess the main reason the Oilers hired Chiarelli is that they want to model their team after the Boston Bruins. I can easily see Chiarelli looking at the two and preferring Eichel. Add that with the miserable failure the Oilers have been with the drafting according to Hoyle mentality they have had, it shouldn't be surprising if the Oilers do draft Eichel #1. I can see it as an easy sell to ownership and the fans. The two players are close enough in talent where taking the guy who may be rated #2 but fits the type of team you want to build much better makes a ton of sense. 

While Eichel is more of a B's style player; I simply can't see anyone (outside of possibly Beantown due to the hometown factor) passing on McDavid. Especially can't see a team based in Canada passing on him. Even further, can't see the organization that let national treasure Gretzky head south of the border let the latest national treasure head to the 'wrong' side of the Niagara.

I've built myself up to prefer Eichel, but I believe the majority of that is my expectation that is who the Sabres will get w/ a bit of nationalistic pride thrown in as well. If it truly was Sabres choice and I could make the pick, when all is said & done, pretty sure it has to be McDavid. Eichel is so smooth, but McDavid makes you get out of your seat. He moves like Afinogenov but w/ Selanne-like hands.

To me, it's Gretzky-Lemieux, but I have a hard time taking Mario over Wayne. Fortunately, for us, can't see either missing.

There is no chance of this happening, but I could see Chiarelli giving this some serious thought. McDavid is the best player in the draft but EDM does lack size in their forward ranks and Eichel would give them that. If Chiarelli ever wanted to have his Canadian Citzenship revoked and be deported to the U.S., he would at least ask the Sabres for a D Man and move down to 2nd Overall

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.