Roster review: #36 Patrick Kaleta

dudacek

Roster review: Pat Kaleta  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Should Patrick Kaleta be a member of the Sabres on opening night this October?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but as an extra, not in the starting lineup

I would definitely like to see Kaleta offered an extension. He's relatively cheap, skates fast, plays hard, is a great PKer, defends teammates, draws penalties, and gets under the skin of opponents. I really don't see the downside in keeping a spot for him on the roster as long as the team is still looking for a traditional 4th line of grinders and energy/agitator type guys.

At the risk of repeating myself, he is 28, not 38.

It's not the year, it's the mileage.

I would definitely like to see Kaleta offered an extension. He's relatively cheap, skates fast, plays hard, is a great PKer, defends teammates, draws penalties, and gets under the skin of opponents. I really don't see the downside in keeping a spot for him on the roster as long as the team is still looking for a traditional 4th line of grinders and energy/agitator type guys.

He just doesn't look like that player anymore.

Hope I'm wrong.

It's not the year, it's the mileage.

He just doesn't look like that player anymore.

Hope I'm wrong.

I think he's still got it, he just had to downplay some of the antics due to his previous suspension and then he suffered the injuries. I think if he gets an extension and come to camp next year he'll be back to his old self. I could be biased though since he's been one of my favorite players since he came into the league.

At the risk of repeating myself, he is 28, not 38.

It has nothing to do with age. He looked like a shell of himself at times, he has a target on his back, and I would like to move on from the old "core." He is the definition of injury prone. Sorry the player I saw last year isn't someone I care to have going forward imo

Come on LB, we need to embrace the future. All of our players need to be 24 and under. That way we can all project them to turn into superstars in a few years and we can win all the cups.

I don't think anyone is saying that Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

It has nothing to do with age. He looked like a shell of himself at times, he has a target on his back, and I would like to move on from the old "core." He is the definition of injury prone. Sorry the player I saw last year isn't someone I care to have going forward imo

So you want the Kaleta back who was on the verge of getting suspended every other hit?  I'm not sure what you are looking for from a 10-12 minute a game 4th liner?

You get the feeling you're not wanted, NS? Cuz I get that feeling.... :unsure:

Why, if you old guys think you could shame me into feeling bad for picking on my elders you would be right!

But you're not that much older, so I can pick on you, and not feel bad.  :nana:

Besides you forgot the cardinal rule, if old age is to be discussed you have to include grand-PA.

So you want the Kaleta back who was on the verge of getting suspended every other hit?  I'm not sure what you are looking for from a 10-12 minute a game 4th liner?

No?  I dont want any kaleta back.  It isn't some crazy concept I don't like a 4th liner you do.  

Things I dont like about kaleta, and any 4th liner

• He punches himself
  • He is always hurt.  Seriously, kaleta is really injury prone!
  • To be effective and play his style of game, he gets a suspension target on their back
  • He has 4 points in his last 81 games

I liked kaleta as much as the last person.  But he is an agitator who cant agitate anymore.  He has no offensive upside and he is always hurt.  If you want to keep him, good.  But I don't and you should be able to at least see that side

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

Why, if you old guys think you could shame me into feeling bad for picking on my elders you would be right!

But you're not that much older, so I can pick on you, and not feel bad.  :nana:

Besides you forgot the cardinal rule, if old age is to be discussed you have to include grand-PA.

2ut6kbn.jpg

No?  I dont want any kaleta back.  It isn't some crazy concept I don't like a 4th liner you do.  

Things I dont like about kaleta, and any 4th liner

• He punches himself
  • He is always hurt.  Seriously, kaleta is really injury prone!
  • To be effective and play his style of game, he gets a suspension target on their back
  • He has 4 points in his last 81 games

I liked kaleta as much as the last person.  But he is an agitator who cant agitate anymore.  He has no offensive upside and he is always hurt.  If you want to keep him, good.  But I don't and you should be able to at least see that side

Thats fine.  Then replace him with another vet with a similar game.  I don't need Matt Ellis or Phil Varone on the 4th line or some 21 year rookie.

Edited by LabattBlue

Thats fine. Then replace him with another vet with a similar game. I don't need Matt Ellis or Phil Varone on the 4th line or some 21 year rookie.

Or we could go out and sign a good 4th line vet? I don't think the only options for the 4th line is kaleta or Rochester. Plus, even if kaleta is our 4th liner, we need someone for the 40+ games he never plays

I want him and McCormick to hang up the skates, especially after seeing the Carcillo vid about Monty.

I had the same thought. Voted yes, though, out of affection and respect for his desire. Only on merit, though. Better options? Move on gracefully ...

• 1 month later...

If Pat's heart was still hell bent to play hockey and I had TPegs kind of money, I'd give him a big paycheck and a two way contract. Let him mentor some youth in Rochester. He would be a guy you could call up. If you weren't looking to give youth a try out. At the very least he could be our offensive counterpart to Bagnall.(who I also hope see return)

If Pat's heart was still hell bent to play hockey and I had TPegs kind of money, I'd give him a big paycheck and a two way contract. Let him mentor some youth in Rochester. He would be a guy you could call up. If you weren't looking to give youth a try out. At the very least he could be our offensive counterpart to Bagnall.(who I also hope see return)

He'd be subject to waivers.  They could make the contract large enough to deter other teams from plucking him off waivers, I suppose.

I'm curious how much value he'd have to other teams.  GMTM seems to be OK with his presence on the roster.  He's got value on the PK.  Seems to play a responsible defensive game.

Edited by weave

He'd be subject to waivers. They could make the contract large enough to deter other teams from plucking him off waivers, I suppose.

I'm curious how much value he'd have to other teams. GMTM seems to be OK with his presence on the roster. He's got value on the PK. Seems to play a responsible defensive game.

He has cleared waiver once already. I'm guessing he'd clear again. If I were Terry I would keep in the organization and pay him well whether he played, coached or just sat around. That kid has given as much as a guy could give.

I wonder also if another NHL squad would change their opinion on him. Does he have value outside of buffalo?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.