Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

I think this whole situation is a great summary of one of my pet peeves in life, along with with my disappointment in the general public/population.  Something was said, taken out of context (the whole press conference he said he was excited at both players and his disappointment had nothing to do with eichel v. mcdavid).  And that taken out of context statement is made into news and believed by everyone.  Eichel then responds, Murray has to clarify.  Its all BS and people are wrong, but since most people believe it, it becomes canon.  

I think everyone should be required to take a class in high school of not jumping to conclusions, how to read news and research.  People are unaware of how much sh*t they eat each day

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

Murray was obviously disappointed not getting McDavid, still helluv a consolation prize with some size in Eichel. Means Murray will need to earn his paycheck with later picks....

I think this whole situation is a great summary of one of my pet peeves in life, along with with my disappointment in the general public/population.  Something was said, taken out of context (the whole press conference he said he was excited at both players and his disappointment had nothing to do with eichel v. mcdavid).  And that taken out of context statement is made into news and believed by everyone.  Eichel then responds, Murray has to clarify.  Its all BS and people are wrong, but since most people believe it, it becomes canon.  

I think everyone should be required to take a class in high school of not jumping to conclusions, how to read news and research.  People are unaware of how much sh*t they eat each day

Murray was visually dissapointed so not really out of context, just overblown and mishandled by Murray wearing his emotions on sleaves and not being welcoming to Eichel but instead crying about process we all know and have known sucks.

Edited by North Buffalo

I feel like most people would take the "And I'm glad that he did" as evidence that I liked what he did today.  Not sure how you're misinterpreting that.

If you, at all, gave Murray the same benefit of the doubt here, then perhaps. But, since you dint, and havnt, then...no.

I didn't misinterpret, I ignored it. Big difference. I don't think you're in a position to lecture anyone about misinterpretation given your butchery of Murray's comments. You chose to ignore any positive thing he had to say last night. Sucks, doesn't it? That's the hypocrite box you put yourself in earlier today.

Beat me to it. Durn it.

If you, at all, gave Murray the same benefit of the doubt here, then perhaps. But, since you dint, and havnt, then...no.

Beat me to it. Durn it.

Not sure what to make of the fact that you think there was ever a "benefit of the doubt" element to this.  When he said something stupid, I said it was stupid.  When he said something I liked, I said I was glad he did.  That's about it.  This wasn't about interpretation.  

Are we still arguing whether or not GMTM said some borderline cuckoo bird shite? He did. He absolutely said some stuff that Eichel could have taken the wrong way. I would have, and I don't give a crap about what anyone says about me. Does it mean he can't build a team? We'll see.

And if Eichel can't put his big boy pants on and get over it then he isn't the player we hope he is anyway.

Are we still arguing whether or not GMTM said some borderline cuckoo bird shite? He did. He absolutely said some stuff that Eichel could have taken the wrong way. I would have, and I don't give a crap about what anyone says about me. Does it mean he can't build a team? We'll see.

And if Eichel can't put his big boy pants on and get over it then he isn't the player we hope he is anyway.

Eichel already did.  And Murray already came out and clarified his goofy statements from Saturday -- basically nailing it on the second try.  So everyone's saying the right things today and we're looking good again.

Now the debate is whether or not I'm an awful person for pointing out that the popular new GM said some stupid stuff that made me question him for the first time, and standing by that.

Life is hard.

Eichel already did.  And Murray already came out and clarified his goofy statements from Saturday -- basically nailing it on the second try.  So everyone's saying the right things today and we're looking good again.

Now the debate is whether or not I'm an awful person for pointing out that the popular new GM said some stupid stuff that made me question him for the first time, and standing by that.

Life is hard.

Oh, you're an awful person, just not because of this.

So we tanked to ensure we can get one of the two top picks, and because we didn't win the lottery some fans call Murray a failure???  That makes zero sense.  In fact, negative sense....less than zero.

Murray's plan that he spoke of when he first got comfy in his GM shoes is going exactly as planned.  He tearing this crappy team of mediocre dog dodo apart and is selling off contract year players for assets in order to bring in great player and build a championship franchise.  He is not holding onto mediocre talent like the previous GM did just because they are "his guys".  He is making trades, and had a plan and structure in place in order to get one of the top two players in this draft and it worked perfectly.  He secured us a pick in the top 2.

I saw his presser, and I got this out of it:

--He's pissed off that he had to drive to Toronto when he could have been told over the phone of the results.  He has said for years he doesn't agree with the lottery, but that's neither here or there.

--I believe that a trade for McDavid is still in play for us.  He said straight out that he is going to regroup with the scouts and talk about moving up to get McDavid.  It's not a guarantee, but it's on the table.  Reasons why I believe this actually could happen:

*McDavid has made it known he doesn't want to play in Edmonton

*Edmonton came straight out after lottery saying they don't know if they were going to pick McDavid (REALLY???  Your not going to commit to taking a once in a generation talent???)

*Eichel says he's not certain he is going to the Sabres, and wouldn't verbally commit that is the team that is going to pick him.

I believe that Murray, Edmonton, and Eichel all know that McDavid doesn't want to play for Oilers. That's why everyone is being vague.  Whether the deal happens or not isn't known, but I can tell you Murray will talk to Edmonton, and where there is smoke, there may be an inferno. 

I also believe that Murray has a plan that will involve trades this summer.  He has a layout of who he wants on this team, and if it involves giving up players who haven't proven they can do it in this league for players who have shown they can be successful and score and are young, then he will go after them, maybe even trading more for them.  I'll take trading 3 maybes for 1 for sure talent any day.

Whether you believe in the tank or not is up to you.  But regardless of your belief, don't tell me what happened at the lottery makes Murray look like he was unprepared or underestimated.  That is why we finished last, not to guarantee McDavid but to guarantee Eichel.  Goal achieved.

I think this is going to be a different team come next year.  The tank portion is over.  There will be no finishing last for a top pick.  Any talk of being a lottery team will be due to whether the team can make the playoffs or not, not about finishing in last place.  Those days  are over.

This team will be too talented next year to finish in last.  YES, that will mean we may have to trade some mediocre sh*% for a few good players.  I'm on board with that. 

That article in the Buffalo news by Bucky Gleason was moronic.  Murray just didn't drive a team into the ground to get a top draft pick.  He tore up a garbage pile to obtained assets that will help his overall plan that obviously Darcy Regier had no clue how to implement.  I think Murray is a forward thinking GM who has us on the right track for success.

When this team is competing for cups year after year, all of you nervous nellys who are pissed off cuz you can't wear your Johan Larsson and Marcus Foligno jerseys anymore because he was traded can sit back and eat crow.

...and don't buy another jersey till were in the Finals.

Edited by dejeanneret

Murray is a grumpy pessimistic hockey dude.

Why be surprised by grumpy pessimistic hockey dude behavior?

The lottery was a gimmicky preGame sideshow. Murray showed his contempt for it.

I like him more and more each day.

Yep.  Murray comes across as a hockey purist.  The Lottery has a carnival atmosphere to it;  done just for ratings mostly.

I love that GMTM doesn't pull punches,  and that his criticisms are usually pretty hard-hitting.  In this case it may seem like a case of sour grapes because Buffalo lost, but .... I wager he might have said similar about the process even had Buffalo won the lottery. 

So we tanked to ensure we can get one of the two top picks, and because we didn't win the lottery some fans call Murray a failure???  That makes zero sense.  In fact, negative sense....less than zero.

tl;uir

I'm not sure a single person has said that, but carrion.

No but people are reacting to his unprofessionalism when dealing with not getting top pick...

Yes, that's true. And?

Any way you slice it, that WJ comment was just goofy, and worthy of some analysis by this board.

Nobody is saying he is a failure because he is picking second,... well, I mean,... except for maybe Murray himself.

Listening to the presser that started the kerfluffle: JFC. The hot-take that TM was being unprofessional, saying stupid things, showing himself to be inept, or somehow insulting Eichel -- all stuff and nonsense. He's clearly not pleased with the pro-cess (gotta hit that "PRO," eh?) and made that clear a few times -- said his grumpiness was not about any player -- that he wanted to pick first because you always want to go first when you have the chance to do so.

Also, I did not hear him say that "disappointed for our fans" bit or likening it to being cut by a world junior team. Was that in the clip that WGR posted?

His words were perfect for them make this narrative and now that's the national story.  This is literally why I'm beside myself with him doing what he did last night.  It's not like that was his first day as an NHL GM, but it was amateur hour all the way.  He should be way more savvy than that.

I'd say "this, too, shall pass."  And I give a hell of a lot more f---s about how he builds the hockey team than about his thoughts on a trumped-up NHL spectacle that, by all accounts, backfired.

Also, you should probably go smoke a jay and relax.

Edited by LoveAndWarrener

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.