The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

I honestly feel like in light of the Grigorenko situation, Reinhart could be 25 years old, and people would still be saying things like "let him spend some time in Rochester to earn his NHL time". Reinhart is not Grigorenko, And he wasn't mishandled his first year. He spent the year in junior. Reinhart is ready for the NHL now. He is a number 2 overall draft pick, and showed he was ready in the preseason.

He's not going to Rochester.

Disagree.   To me he's very very close, but his strength on the puck and along the wall just isn't NHL caliber yet.    I watched him closely in pre-season and it seemed every 3rd or 4th puck battle he would literally get knocked down off his skates.   That can't happen, he needs a stronger base, let him build that up in Roch... it might only take a few months, but it's better right now at his age that he plays and plays a lot with skilled players.

We have 28 guys in camp still, correct? With 5 injuries: Ullmark, Guhle, Sanguinetti, Bogosian and McCormick. Gotta believe Ullmark, Guhle, and Sanguinetti are marked for Junior/AHL when they are healthy. So that leaves Bogosian and McCormick. I'll predict that barring injuries to others on the roster, McCormick would go to the AHL. So the only player we would need to make room for is, again, barring injury, Bogosian. So my guess is McCabe would head to Rochester once Bogosian is back, making McCabe the only guy in the current 23 who won't be on team for the long hall this year.

As for who is scratched to start the year, I'll go with Foligno, Colaiacovo and Donovan.

Right.   They could leave all 13 forwards (with Reinhart) on the roster.   However, like Bylsma said the other day... 

"For him to play 30 games here this year and be here the whole year, (it’s) probably not the best for his development as a player,” Bylsma said inside the First Niagara Center.

...sounds to me like he's headed to Roch... which is the right move.    Let McCormick be the guy that plays 8min once or twice a week.   Reinhart needs minutes, with skill players, PP time, etc... Roch is perfect for where he's at.

Edited by pi2000

Disagree.   To me he's very very close, but his strength on the puck and along the wall just isn't NHL caliber yet.    I watched him closely in pre-season and it seemed every 3rd or 4th puck battle he would literally get knocked down off his skates.   That can't happen, he needs a stronger base, let him build that up in Roch... it might only take a few months, but it's better right now at his age that he plays and plays a lot with skilled players.

Right.   They could leave all 13 forwards (with Reinhart) on the roster.   However, like Bylsma said the other day... 

"For him to play 30 games here this year and be here the whole year, (it’s) probably not the best for his development as a player,” Bylsma said inside the First Niagara Center.

...sounds to me like he's headed to Roch... which is the right move.    Let McCormick be the guy that plays 8min once or twice a week.   Reinhart needs minutes, with skill players, PP time, etc... Roch is perfect for where he's at.

I watched him a lot in preseason as well. One of us needs better glasses. I also watched Toews get knocked on his ass, Stamkos get pushed off the puck and Kopitar fall down for no reason. You will lose battles from time to time. What Reinhart does getting back into the play in the right position more than makes up for it. He is not going to become EKane by going to Rochester. That is not and will never be his game.

I understand the logic but I just don't see it the same way. He is going to lose battles sometimes, it's just the way it is for every player. He will learn a lot more and develop quicker playing on the big club. The benefits far outweigh the cons. And beyond all that, he is ready to contribute. He can put up points and be sound defensively. Playing on the 3rd line he will get plenty of minutes. If he is playing with Girgensons, I'd say he has a good amount of skill on his line, and the added grit of a McGinn. A McGinn - Reinhart - Girgensons line would work very well I'd say. He will get time on the PP.

If Reinhart starts the year in Buffalo, it won't be with the intention of sending him down when McCormick is back. And as others have said, it is highly doubtful we start the year with 12 forwards. The fact that Reinhart is here now, tells me he is staying. Also, as Byslma said, he isn't here to sit in the press box 30 times.

You can't wait until Reinhart's game is completely ready before he plays here full time. His game won't have a chance to become completely ready until he is playing full time here.

I watched him a lot in preseason as well. One of us needs better glasses. I also watched Toews get knocked on his ass, Stamkos get pushed off the puck and Kopitar fall down for no reason. You will lose battles from time to time. What Reinhart does getting back into the play in the right position more than makes up for it. He is not going to become EKane by going to Rochester. That is not and will never be his game.

Yes, this.

And Robins Egg, ya got me! :lol:

Edited by Thorny

Hoppe tidbit:

At some point in the next day or so, Sabres coach Dan Bylsma will grab center Jack Eichel for a moment and tell the rookie he has made the opening-night roster.

Not exactly surprising news, right?

“It won’t be a 15-minute meeting,” Bylsma joked this afternoon inside the First Niagara Center.

Eichel at Roswell Park today. Jersey #? 15

Hoppe tidbit:

At some point in the next day or so, Sabres coach Dan Bylsma will grab center Jack Eichel for a moment and tell the rookie he has made the opening-night roster.

“It won’t be a 15-minute meeting,” Bylsma joked this afternoon inside the First Niagara Center.

It won't be a 41-minute meeting either. 

Hoppe tidbit:

Better not be a 41 minute meeting either