The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Great interview. I like the guy, and he's already getting tired of the media. Pretty low of the reporter asking that very last question. Gotcha Mr. 18 Year old Future Hockey star! Yeesh.

Why isn't anyone asking the question: where are the media scrums for the other combine participants on the Sabres website? Well, except McDavid. And, why IS McDavid's scrum posted. Hmmmm?

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

McDavid reminds me of an emo-less Miller.

What do you think of his dad?

Not that I expect you to watch anything, but I watched a few interviews on YT with both Eichel and McDavid in their home setting.

The Eichels I can see shooting the sh!t with, and mom making a pot roast and asking me over on Sunday as a neighbor.

The McDavids.....I keep thinking that the dad is going to either hand me a church envelope and some pamphlets, or ask if I need help getting my boys off the school bus if I'm not home from work yet.

Andrew Peters once explained the difference between the families to me...

McDavid's family is the type where the parents show up at practice and yell at the coach for working their kid too hard.

Eichel's family is the type where he gets home and says his coach worked him hard and the parents just nod... "Good."

Kris Baker @SabresProspects

Eichel measures 6'3" per his interview with Mike and Chris on WGR.

Even better.

This makes me even more excited. Not sure how much a difference 2 inches can make, but 6'3" looks better than 6'1"! Lol.

EDIT: Got him confused with Reinhart, who is 6-1...but still, 6-3 > 6-2, and he might still grown another inch.

Edited by Bob Malooga

This is what someone posted in response to a Buffalo News article "Eichel says he is the best player." 

"Eichel and the Sabres deserve each other. Both immature and dilusional. While both are exceptional players McD's 2.55 ppg is in a universe far beyond Eichel's 1.77. How can anyone expect excellence from this organization?"

Have to call bs on that one. Even Dan Marr, central scouting director, has said "it's a fine line" between the two. He did give the edge to McDvid, which is how most people feel, but there is very little difference. 

My response to the post above was rather "polite." Simply gave him the fact it is difficult to compare the OHL and NCAA. More or less told the guy it's like trying to compare apples and oranges. OHL has more high potential talent, but it's still made up of 'kids.' The NCAA is made up of young men. Players are bigger, faster and stronger. Disadvantage in the NCAA's is the lower amount of  high potential talent. Main point is you cannot compare stats to decide who is better. Claiming McDavid is 'in a universe far beyond Eichel' is a debate you cannot win. Simply not true. 

Edited by Thanes16

Andrew Peters once explained the difference between the families to me...

McDavid's family is the type where the parents show up at practice and yell at the coach for working their kid too hard.

Eichel's family is the type where he gets home and says his coach worked him hard and the parents just nod... "Good."

That's the vibe I get, except maybe the McDavids aren't barking at the coach so much as giving him detailed feedback, being very hands on, interfering.

It's the Orr agency effect, again, I think.

Eichel is more raw, as is his family. His parents are central casting flinty working Bostonians - I love that sort of pedigree.

It took me awhile to figure out who Eichel reminded me of.  And it hit me this morning.  This kid has Jeremy Roenick's spirit.  I hated Roenick because he was brash, and cocky, and could back that ###### up.  It's a whole lot more agreeable when you know he's going to be backing that ###### up while wearing my teams colors.

Edited by weave

It took me awhile to figure out who Eichel reminded me of.  And it hit me this morning.  This kid has Jeremy Roenick's spirit.  I hated Roenick because he was brash, and cocky, and could back that ###### up.  It's a whole lot more agreeable when you know he's going to be backing that ###### up while wearing my teams colors.

I can't wait to be the team everyone hates because we're so good

I can't wait to be the team everyone hates because we're so good

It will most certainly be better than being a team everyone hates because we were so bad....on purpose. And yes, I did support a word that should probably never be mentioned again on this board. Mod-Team, can it be considered as profanity? 

Looking forward to the great days that lie ahead! 

Edited by Thanes16

The whole ordeal over this comment is because of the way the media portrayed it. Eichel says in an interview that he believes he's the best player in the draft and that gets out. The media portrays it as "Eichel says he's better than McDavid" instead of "Eichel says he's the best prospect in the draft."

Then he gets a question phrased to him about being better than McDavid... He clarified. Then dumbass Paul Hamilton comes in with "why is saying you're the best player a bad thing? Isn't it good to be confident?" Of course it's good. Shut up and calm your loud breathing.

Then coming out of yesterday's scrum it was phrased as "Eichel says he didn't say he was better than McDavid."

Edited by Hoss

I don't know if this has been talked about, but I just realized this and found it very interesting...

Jack Eichel was drafted 15th overall in the QMJHL by the Halifax Mooseheads...these are the players drafted ahead of him.

Round 1

#1 Sherbrooke Phoenix Daniel Audette ©

#2 Prince Edward Island Rocket Alexis Pépin (LW)

#3 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles Clark Bishop ©

#4 Gatineau Olympiques Alexandre Carrier (D)

#5 Baie-Comeau Drakkar Loik Léveillé (D)

#6 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies Francis Perron (C/LW)

#7 Val-d'Or Foreurs Nicolas Aubé-Kubel (C/RW)

#8 Saint John Sea Dogs Matthew Highmore ©

#9 Val-d'Or Foreurs Carl Neill (D)

#10 Baie-Comeau Drakkar Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau (LW)

#11 Saint John Sea Dogs Olivier LeBlanc (D)

#12 Rimouski Océanic Nicolas Hébert ©

#13 Baie-Comeau Drakkar Alexis Vanier (D)

#14 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies Cody Donaghey (D)

#15 Halifax Mooseheads Jack Eichel ©

What does this say about the talent evaluators in the QMJHL...does it say anything, or am I just reading too much into it?

I pay pretty close attention to this stuff, and know a lot of teams prospects...but I don't know more than half of these names.

Edited to add - Daniel Audette was a 5th round pick, Jack Eichel will be #2 overall, and would usually be #1 overall.

Edited by Bob Malooga

I don't know if this has been talked about, but I just realized this and found it very interesting...

Jack Eichel was drafted 15th overall in the QMJHL by the Halifax Mooseheads...these are the players drafted ahead of him.

Round 1

#1 Sherbrooke Phoenix Daniel Audette ©

#2 Prince Edward Island Rocket Alexis Pépin (LW)

#3 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles Clark Bishop ©

#4 Gatineau Olympiques Alexandre Carrier (D)

#5 Baie-Comeau Drakkar Loik Léveillé (D)

#6 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies Francis Perron (C/LW)

#7 Val-d'Or Foreurs Nicolas Aubé-Kubel (C/RW)

#8 Saint John Sea Dogs Matthew Highmore ©

#9 Val-d'Or Foreurs Carl Neill (D)

#10 Baie-Comeau Drakkar Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau (LW)

#11 Saint John Sea Dogs Olivier LeBlanc (D)

#12 Rimouski Océanic Nicolas Hébert ©

#13 Baie-Comeau Drakkar Alexis Vanier (D)

#14 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies Cody Donaghey (D)

#15 Halifax Mooseheads Jack Eichel ©

What does this say about the talent evaluators in the QMJHL...does it say anything, or am I just reading too much into it?

I pay pretty close attention to this stuff, and know a lot of teams prospects...but I don't know more than half of these names.

Edited to add - Daniel Audette was a 5th round pick, Jack Eichel will be #2 overall, and would usually be #1 overall.

Wouldn't they have known he was completing high school early and going to Boston U? Is it just the teams in the Q not wasting a pick on a kid who won't play junior?

That's the only reason I can think of.

Wouldn't they have known he was completing high school early and going to Boston U? Is it just the teams in the Q not wasting a pick on a kid who won't play junior?

Exactly.

The Mooseheads knew that he committed to Boston U.

Teams in the CHL (often in the Q) will draft a player who they feel is a great talent, but will not likely ever play for the team.  Just in case something goes wrong, or the player doesn't like it where they committed to play, a team (the Mosseheads in this case) will draft the player to hold his CHL rights.

This is what someone posted in response to a Buffalo News article "Eichel says he is the best player." 

"Eichel and the Sabres deserve each other. Both immature and dilusional. While both are exceptional players McD's 2.55 ppg is in a universe far beyond Eichel's 1.77. How can anyone expect excellence from this organization?"

Have to call bs on that one. Even Dan Marr, central scouting director, has said "it's a fine line" between the two. He did give the edge to McDvid, which is how most people feel, but there is very little difference. 

My response to the post above was rather "polite." Simply gave him the fact it is difficult to compare the OHL and NCAA. More or less told the guy it's like trying to compare apples and oranges. OHL has more high potential talent, but it's still made up of 'kids.' The NCAA is made up of young men. Players are bigger, faster and stronger. Disadvantage in the NCAA's is the lower amount of  high potential talent. Main point is you cannot compare stats to decide who is better. Claiming McDavid is 'in a universe far beyond Eichel' is a debate you cannot win. Simply not true. 

I posted a few LOL's to that poster.. I was not so polite

Eichel committed to play at BU over a month before the draft took place.

Exactly.

The Mooseheads knew that he committed to Boston U.

Teams in the CHL (often in the Q) will draft a player who they feel is a great talent, but will not likely ever play for the team.  Just in case something goes wrong, or the player doesn't like it where they committed to play, a team (the Mosseheads in this case) will draft the player to hold his CHL rights.

Ok, so you take him in the 5th round, not 15th overall. (Like NFL'ers Wilson and Winston were drafted into the MLB.)

But, you're saying if they knew he was going to the QMJHL, he would've gone 1st overall?

http://thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1133541-eichel-passes-on-moose

“We felt there were some good indications he would be coming last year but when he didn’t report, we still felt like there was a decent chance for next year,” Russell said. “He went to the national development program but we kept having good discussions with him and his family.

“He’s decided to go back to the national development program next year and is still very high on BU. We just felt the chances of getting him here were getting slimmer so we opted to take the second-round pick instead.”

It makes even less sense to draft him, if they knew a month before the draft he wouldn't be coming. I guess I also do not understand St. John's picking up his rights, if they knew he would be going to BU and would not play in the CHL.

(Joseph Velano just went 1st overall in the "Q"...it will be interesting to see his career path.)