The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Not that the comment section holds any weight, but boy is Eich getting lambasted by everyone. Apparently he's too brash and wants everything handed to him. We should also trade him already.

We need more guys exactly like him. Type A's

Personally I like it. Between him and Kane, some arrogance on the team will be nice. He does make a point, too. I would rather him continue to get stronger and play at BU than play in the AHL where he gets concussed like every Sabres prospect seemingly does.

Not that the comment section holds any weight, but boy is Eich getting lambasted by everyone. Apparently he's too brash and wants everything handed to him. We should also trade him already.

Personally I like it. Between him and Kane, some arrogance on the team will be nice. He does make a point, too. I would rather him continue to get stronger and play at BU than play in the AHL where he gets concussed like every Sabres prospect seemingly does.

I noticed the comments, too. 

But it's not about him being arrogant, it's about him preferring to stay in college and play NCAA hockey vs. being forced to go to Juniors because he isn't eligible for the AHL.

Perfectly reasonable to ask the Sabres for that guarantee. Not arrogant at all. 

GO SABRES!!!

I just assume people know my infatuation with Eichel goes back to last September's prospect game in Buffalo and have read all my posts about him since so I take for granted that everyone would just get my sarcasm. 

Can't wait to see how it all shakes out, too. I like everything about this kid. 

GO SABRES!!!

no worries K-9, I just didn't take the time to read your history on Jack; I really wonder if he has made up his mind yet about staying at BU....perhaps the assurance given to him by the Sabres will have already taken care of that decision.

I personally think it's shows balls and self-confidence. I could see someone like Pat Kane saying the same thing in a similar situation. I want that type of attitude on this time, and I want him to demand the puck when the game's on the line to be won.

Eichel has put in his time. McDavid played juniors. Eichel played D1 hockey. Scouts across the NHL share the opinion of both being immediate top 2 line players on any NHL team. Why should either play any hockey in juniors this season? It'd be a waste of time and no improvement will be made. I can see why Eichel would return to college if the Sabres didn't provide him some type of guarantee. And why isn't McDavid getting pestered by the media? 

Edited by Thanes16

I noticed the comments, too. 

But it's not about him being arrogant, it's about him preferring to stay in college and play NCAA hockey vs. being forced to go to Juniors because he isn't eligible for the AHL.

Perfectly reasonable to ask the Sabres for that guarantee. Not arrogant at all. 

GO SABRES!!!

Eichel isn't eligible for the AHL?  I thought that was only a CHL player issue.  

Anyone?

Anyone?

The Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL own the rights to Eichel. I'm not familiar w/ the rules on this. That may be the reason why. I'm scratching my head on this one. 

And now I need to delete this post! K-9, you commented 1 minute before me. ha ha 

Edited by Thanes16

The Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL own the rights to Eichel. I'm not familiar w/ the rules on this. That may be the reason why. I'm scratching my head on this one. 

And now I need to delete this post! K-9, you commented 1 minute before me. ha ha 

Well, I accidentally deleted my post so you are in!

But yeah, his rights are held by the QMJHL team, so it's either NHL or Juniors for Eichel if he leave school. 

GO SABRES!!!

Anyone?

Eichel would be eligible to play in the AHL.

Edit: Maybe I am mistaken? Because his rights are held by a CHL team? It is my understanding that he would be able to play in Rochester due to not having played in the CHL.

Edited by Thorny

He can't be forced to go to major junior.  He has to actually be willing to go there and sign on with whoever holds his rights at that point.  It's all about the AHL.  But anyway, I always find these types of things annoying because a team can't actually guarantee in a contract that the player stays up in the NHL.  They're not allowed to do that.  They can make that guarantee verbally, but there is nothing to hold them to it, short of getting a black eye in future negotiations. 

Anyway, it's really not an issue.  The only way he gets any time in the AHL is if it is a rehab stint.

Anyway, it's really not an issue.  The only way he gets any time in the AHL is if it is a rehab stint.

It's not. But clarification of the status for an NCAA player that a CHL team has rights to is good information for us all to have.

I assume that some CHL team had Girgensens rights before he went pro? Was that not the case?

He can't be forced to go to major junior.  He has to actually be willing to go there and sign on with whoever holds his rights at that point.  It's all about the AHL.  But anyway, I always find these types of things annoying because a team can't actually guarantee in a contract that the player stays up in the NHL.  They're not allowed to do that.  They can make that guarantee verbally, but there is nothing to hold them to it, short of getting a black eye in future negotiations. 

I've been given some conflicting information regarding his eligibility, apparently. 

EDIT: Apparently, this rule only applies to European players drafted by CHL teams before being drafted by NHL teams. 

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

It's not. But clarification of the status for an NCAA player that a CHL team has rights to is good information for us all to have.

I assume that some CHL team had Girgensens rights before he went pro? Was that not the case?

Nope. His rights were owned by the KHL.

So it looks like a player's rights being held by a CHL team is irrelevant. All that matters is if said player actually played in the CHL. Eichel, coming from college, would be eligible for the AHL.

Well, I accidentally deleted my post so you are in!

But yeah, his rights are held by the QMJHL team, so it's either NHL or Juniors for Eichel if he leave school.

GO SABRES!!!

No junior team held the rights to Zemgus? Seems odd.

I agree. He has nothing to gain in the CHL, especially the QMJHL...he is better served in the NCAA, if he wants to go back.

But, could you imagine him with Veleno, and then Chabot and Zboril on the backend for the Sea Dogs? That'd be impressive.

This just doesn't have the same ring to it, though. Lol.

http://www.saintjohnseadogs.com/roster/bio/219617

(I can't wait, even took the weekend off from DJing so I could be around to watch it. I'll possibly go to the draft party, just don't want to drive alone.)

One thing that does cross my mind, will Auston Matthews be the "American Phenom" that everyone looks at and knows? (He crushed Eich's #'s w/ the USNTDP.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I'm still not getting all this Q talk. He never played major junior. He's eligible to play in the NCAA, or the NHL/AHL. When he signs his ELC he voids his ability to return to college. The CHL has no sway over him.

And the only chance he will have to see Rochester is if he were to drive from Boston to Buffalo instead of flying. 0% chance of him not being a Sabre next year.

I'm still not getting all this Q talk. He never played major junior. He's eligible to play in the NCAA, or the NHL/AHL. When he signs his ELC he voids his ability to return to college. The CHL has no sway over him.

And the only chance he will have to see Rochester is if he were to drive from Boston to Buffalo instead of flying. 0% chance of him not being a Sabre next year.

I think Jetblue does reasonable flights to Bos form Roch.I'm not getting any AHL talk as well as CHL. Ted Nolan's gone and despite the whole earn your spot motto, I don't think any player is going to object to this guy being guaranteed a spot. Welcome to Buffalo Jack and thanks for turning pro.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/25/pht-morning-skates-video-mcdavids-abilities-dont-extend-to-baseball/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcsThe article is about McDavid, but at one point in the video you can see that arrogant, punk Jack Eichel having the audacity to wear sunglasses inside of a dome. Who does he think he is, some kind of rockstar?

Good post.  The highlighted is all that really needs to be said on this topic...but I guess people need to talk about something.  Friday night can't get here soon enough and we are all anxious.

There's been a trend in recent years of teams drafting college players and then convincing them to jump to the CHL because they think they'll develop better over there.  The first one who comes to mind (mostly because a lot of people here wanted to draft him) was Jamie Oleksiak.  There have been others as well but I'm too lazy to dig up the names.  Charlie Coyle was at BU and then left for the Q mid-season in his sophomore year, but that was a bit of a different case where he wasn't happy.