Are we a great hockey market or what?

PromoTheRobot

‏@NBCSportsPR

Top 5 rated NHL markets for reg season for combined NBC/NBCSN: Buffalo 1.17; Pittsburgh 1.15; Boston 1.00; St. Louis 0.95; & Chicago 0.90

Despite the Shart.

This why Bettman will give us McDavid.

‏@NBCSportsPR
Top 5 rated NHL markets for reg season for combined NBC/NBCSN: Buffalo 1.17; Pittsburgh 1.15; Boston 1.00; St. Louis 0.95; & Chicago 0.90

Despite the Shart.

Beyond awesome, but doesn't this focus on US markets? Can CBC broadcast games being played in St. Louis or any other American city? This would have an impact on Canadian markets. I'm sure Buffalo would still be in the top 5. 

Why should he "give" us McDavid? What the numbers say is that we will watch regardless of whether the product is good or not. He would be better off putting him in a bigger market with worse ratings to improve the ad value of broadcasts. Assuming of course you believe he can fix anything.

‏@NBCSportsPR

Despite the Shart.

Unless I read the ratings numbers wrong:

What's bigger: 1.17% of the 1.1M (maybe 2 if you include Rochester) people the Buffalo market, or 1.00% of the 4.5M people in Boston Metro (and that doesn't include the rest of the people in New England). It's great that Buffalo loves hockey, but the NHL is interested in eyeballs, not market share. If you believe the conspiracy nonsense in the first place.

Edited by Met'yuPirog

We already knew Buffalo is the top US Hockey Market in the US....just wait for the playoffs

Beyond awesome, but doesn't this focus on US markets? Can CBC broadcast games being played in St. Louis or any other American city? This would have an impact on Canadian markets. I'm sure Buffalo would still be in the top 5. 

No, and we will likely be the top market in the US other than the 2 teams playing for each series as well, and that isn't even including the people who choose to turn into the CBC feed, which I'm sure a lot of the do...

Unless I read the ratings numbers wrong:

What's bigger: 1.17% of the 1.1M (maybe 2 if you include Rochester) people the Buffalo market, or 1.00% of the 4.5M people in Boston Metro (and that doesn't include the rest of the people in New England). It's great that Buffalo loves hockey, but the NHL is interested in eyeballs, not market share. If you believe the conspiracy nonsense in the first place.

You are reading the numbers wrong. It's 1.17% of all NHL viewership in the USA comes from Buffalo, a market that is 1/6th the size of places like Boston and Chicago.

Edited by Promonov Robotnik

Can you post the link, please?

Have to look. I saw it in a tweet.

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/588064202671140864

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratings_for_The_NHL_on_NBC

• In the third week of playoff coverage, on Saturday NBC's national coverage of the San Jose-Detroit game on Saturday had a 1.0 large-market rating, down 9.1 percent from coverage of a New Jersey-Carolina game a year ago. The Rangers-Sabres telecast on Sunday drew a viewers in 1.3 percent of homes in the 56 largest U.S. media markets. In Buffalo, the ratings story is much different, where more than half of the TV sets in Western New York were tuned to the Sabres-Rangers game, breaking records previously held by the Buffalo Bills.
  • In the fourth week of coverage, Game 5 of the Sharks-Red Wings semifinal series received a 1.4 overnight on Saturday, up 40% over last year’s comparable game (Devils-Hurricanes). Game 6 between the Rangers and Sabres, leading into the Kentucky Derby, earned a 1.4 on Sunday. There was no comparable game last year. In Buffalo, the Sabres’ series clinching victory earned a 32.6 rating and 60 share. That means 60 percent of the sets in use in Buffalo were watching the game
Edited by Promonov Robotnik

You are reading the numbers wrong. It's 1.17% of all NHL viewership in the USA comes from Buffalo, a market that is 1/6th the size of places like Boston and Chicago.

I would assume that they would post these ratings in line with the standard ratings system, which is contrary to the way you explained above.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.