The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Why can't that be Buffalo?

We can dream.

I know I'm hoping for it.  I'm looking forward to rooting for Sabres wins for a change, and I think the goal for this year is the playoffs.  Considering where they were this past season that's a lofty goal, but ya gotta shoot for something.

corrected.

I agree with this. 

My point is Calgary was the third worst team in the league after last season and made it to the second round of the playoffs this season.  Why can't that be Buffalo?

According to a lot of things, Calgary was an outlier and should not have done what they did.  I think Buffalo could do anything next year but we can't fully gauge it until after Murray finishes the summer and there are so many fluid parts not even then maybe.  I mean we are going to have a 40% or so roster turn over, a new coach, and 3 of Larsson, Mikhail, Jack, Samson on the team.  Rookies can impress or flounder.  Hard to judge. 

corrected.

I agree with this. 

My point is Calgary was the third worst team in the league after last season and made it to the second round of the playoffs this season.  Why can't that be Buffalo?

Third worse is a lot better than DFL two years running.  We've got a steeper climb to make. 

Maybe a bit of a dream but I don't think it's a pipe dream.  I think the goal is absolutely the playoffs.  Nobody will be heartbroken if we don't make it but see development but after watching the Flames dramatic ascension in the standings in one season I thought why not us?  What good young players do they have that we don't?  If you look at going from 54 or whatever points to 100 it does look crazy.  But when you consider the franchise (won't admit it) but obviously did not ice the best roster possible last season and we may be changing 3 to 4 of our top 6 forwards and adding another top 4 dman then it's really not the same team as last year at all.  Plus, who knows what else Tim does this offseason.

According to a lot of things, Calgary was an outlier and should not have done what they did.  I think Buffalo could do anything next year but we can't fully gauge it until after Murray finishes the summer and there are so many fluid parts not even then maybe.  I mean we are going to have a 40% or so roster turn over, a new coach, and 3 of Larsson, Mikhail, Jack, Samson on the team.  Rookies can impress or flounder.  Hard to judge. 

Oh ya, it's tough to really judge at this point.  What got me thinking this was Tank saying we are still three years out before we start really winning.  I just think there's a decent chance we're close to a playoff team by next season.

Calgary's division was also much, much weaker than ours. 

But they play in the west.  Wasn't that all that was said in the Carrion Thread?  How tough is our division really?

But they play in the west.  Wasn't that all that was said in the Carrion Thread?  How tough is our division really?

As someone who recently reviewed the entire thread, I won't challenge you on what was said in there  :lol:

I will say I had posted that I think the East has more depth and is a better conference this year. I think the best 1-2 teams are in the West, but overall there is more depth/more quality teams in the East.

Oh ya, it's tough to really judge at this point.  What got me thinking this was Tank saying we are still three years out before we start really winning.  I just think there's a decent chance we're close to a playoff team by next season.

I think tank is wrong (sorry tank your name change is null n void). This coming year is a foot testing the water year. Let's see what we have now that the smoke has cleared and start moving forward.  We could make the playoffs or be way outside but after this coming season, I would expect us to start winning a lot more.  (2016 season we should be a playoff team without question or Murray is doing it wrong)

I think tank is wrong (sorry tank your name change is null n void). This coming year is a foot testing the water year. Let's see what we have now that the smoke has cleared and start moving forward.  We could make the playoffs or be way outside but after this coming season, I would expect us to start winning a lot more.  (2016 season we should be a playoff team without question or Murray is doing it wrong)

Yep, I agree with this but am leaning more towards the playoff side.  Rookies will be rookies but when was the last time a team had back to back 2nd overall picks and started them in the same season?  Who were our centres last year?  This year we could easily be looking at Reinhart, Eichel, Girgs, Grigo and Larsson.  Holy that's a huge upgrade from our two years of DFL.

As someone who recently reviewed the entire thread, I won't challenge you on what was said in there  :lol:

I will say I had posted that I think the East has more depth and is a better conference this year. I think the best 1-2 teams are in the West, but overall there is more depth/more quality teams in the East.

I told you not to do it man.  I warned you :lol:

As for west versus east, who would you rather play 4 times a year, Boston, Ottawa, Montreal, Tampa, Detroit, Florida

OR

St Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Winnipeg, Dallas, Colorado?

I'll take the first group please.

Don't forget Toronto.

Yep, I agree with this but am leaning more towards the playoff side.  Rookies will be rookies but when was the last time a team had back to back 2nd overall picks and started them in the same season?  Who were our centres last year?  This year we could easily be looking at Reinhart, Eichel, Girgs, Grigo and Larsson.  Holy ###### that's a huge upgrade from our two years of DFL.

I told you not to do it man.  I warned you :lol:

I'll take the first group please.

Yes it is a huge upgrade but we were such a disaster it will take a huge upgrade.

I would take the 2nd group.  Outside of Chicago and Nashville, none of those teams really bother me.  I will say I see a shift in the NHL coming soon.  

As for west versus east, who would you rather play 4 times a year, Boston, Ottawa, Montreal, Tampa, Detroit, Florida

OR

St Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Winnipeg, Dallas, Colorado?

I'd rather play Anaheim, Vancouver, Calgary, LA, SJ, Edmonton and Arizona 

than

NYI, Washington, NYR, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Carolina, NJ, and Philly

Yes it is a huge upgrade but we were such a disaster it will take a huge upgrade.

I would take the 2nd group.  Outside of Chicago and Nashville, none of those teams really bother me.  I will say I see a shift in the NHL coming soon.  

Really?  As I said, you have to add the tirefire Maple leafs to the first group.  Ottawa went on a great run with some goalie that love McDonalds.  They were a bottom feeder the first half of the year.  Boston is getting much older now.  Same for Detroit.  Florida is getting better but not there yet.  Tampa is a good team.  Montreal is a flawed team IMO.

It wasn't me that said we wouldn't start winning for three years (or Tank for that matter).

Sorry about that.  I thought at the time it was you but after skimming your posts in this thread I don't see it.  My bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if employees there have to sign agreements to not share information about the business that occurs at the arena, take photos and share ton the Internet, etc. So yes, I would imagine it could be such an offense. I don't know that it is but given the speculative nature of sports I would not be surprised by it.

They don't sign confidentiality agreements but he did violate their social media policy.

We can dream.

I know I'm hoping for it.  I'm looking forward to rooting for Sabres wins for a change, and I think the goal for this year is the playoffs.  Considering where they were this past season that's a lofty goal, but ya gotta shoot for something.

I think the conventional wisdom is that we will NOT make the playoffs and in fact may be little better than we were last year.

Having said that, I agree with you!  I think it is entirely possible for the team to catch fire and somehow qualify for the playoffs.

The rumor seems to be that Edmonton is focusing on T.M. for their coaching search.

If that's true, the Sabres (arguably the 2nd best place for Babcock to land) just moved up to Position 1.

Now wouldn't that be grand.

The bolded point above, I think there's a bit of that, but also a lot of people around here also take themselves and the message board environment itself too seriously.  To me, this is a place where people come to shoot the spit and talk about the game a bit.  It's not a place to make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long so you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way.

I just wish we could go back to talking about hockey instead of it always becoming about the posters themselves.

Not finished reading through the rest of the thread and not sure if anyone else commented on this, but needless to say I was not looking for a DZ reference here and LOL'ed. :D

So, I completely agree with what you're saying.

.......but how do you feel about male models?