Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

Not to pick an old scab, but I thought nobody ever got fired from a Tpeg's joint. Leave it to Buffalo sports to get him handing out pink slips like band flyers for a gig at Nietzsche's.

Nietzsches...now that brings back memories from 30-40 yrs back. They are still around?? They had some of the most interesting/weird/talented performers...And I'm not exclusively talking about the musicians

Nolan by his own admission is not a X's and O's strategy type of coach. With the amount of younger players coming onto the team in the next year or two, they need a coach that will teach them how to play on the NHL and not just how to grit and compete.

Plus Nolan does not believe in analytics and GMTM appears to be a huge supporter of their use. That combination sealed Nolan's Fate with the team

I stated a thread way back in Jan, on how long Nolan would remain the HC, well the answer is in, just can't wait to see who the "big" name coach is going to be, first the Bills, now the Sabres, and the trend continues, I am for one am sorry to see Teddy go, and wish him well were ever he ends up

Just having a hard time with all Nolan has gone through and how emotional he was to be here and to see him treated this poorly really makes me ill. You are right I should not look back.

In all seriousness Chris, I lived in syracuse. Does heids hotdogs still have lines out the door??

Nolan by his own admission is not a X's and O's strategy type of coach. With the amount of younger players coming onto the team in the next year or two, they need a coach that will teach them how to play on the NHL and not just how to grit and compete.

Plus Nolan does not believe in analytics and GMTM appears to be a huge supporter of their use. That combination sealed Nolan's Fate with the team

I think there is some truth to this.

There are those in Buffalo who will always have a soft spot in their hearts for TN. Those people also seem to ignore his history:

TN's history with Muckler.

Whatever happened to sour his relationship with Hasek. (Someone complained about an earlier poster repeating something that every Buffalo sports fan who has not lived in a cave has heard a million times). Whatever actually happened, it certainly did not sit well with Hasek.

TN not returning DR's calls.

TN quickly wearing out his welcome on the Island.

GMTM gave him a multi year extension. To me that indicated thatTM had an open mind about TN. For whatever reason, their relationship was not as good as presumably both would have liked (given comments by both). When that happens (and in light of the above history), it is time to cut bait. This is especially so if the GM does not think that the HC is the guy to develop young players.

Even those who love TN have to admit that TN is not what one would call a great strategist etc. His whole MO is "compete level." That is what we love about Ted Nolan. Yet, the question is whether that is enough in today's NHL or with this team.

I suppose how you answer that question probably is predictive of how you feel about the events of today.

P.S. As for the Bills hiring Rex, I love the hire (and I also am a long time out-of-town season ticket holder).

Edited by Peter

What the hell's going on here?!?! I come back after watching the finale of Orange is the New Black and half the place is locked down, threads are missing................... it's bad enough we've all been at each others throats for the last 6 months, now mods are throwing this place into a blender and expecting a member to recognize it after just a couple of hours? Jesus Christ, why not just erase the whole damn thing and start from scratch?

Don't really matter, with half the place changing their name every other day I don't even know who is saying what. 

Let repetitive threads die on their own, the redundant conversations are better left there, if not they're just dragged into newer ones.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

What the hell's going on here?!?! I come back after watching the finale of Orange is the New Black and half the place is locked down, threads are missing................... it's bad enough we've all been at each others throats for the last 6 months, now mods are throwing this place into a blender and expecting a member to recognize it after just a couple of hours? Jesus Christ, why not just erase the whole damn thing and start from scratch?

Have a Snickers.

Ted Nolan is a good man. We can all agree. But to feel sorry for him is silly. He's still getting paid and handsomely I might add.

Teddy wasn't Tim's guy and to Tim's credit he kept him on despite that. But if anyone thinks Teddy is a good coach is  lying to themselves. Teddy was a good motivator, at one time. But there was no way they were going to let him run the team and teach the new kids coming up. 

Mike Babcock is a good coach and that's who this team needs to take them and the new kids to the next level. 

I wish Teddy luck but today's news is not a surprise to me at all. Maybe the speed of it, but that's it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.