What if Eichel Decides to Return to BU Next Year?

Dave Dryden

My understanding is that if he were on academic probation he would already be prohibited from playing in games (no pass, no play).

Correct.  He is not on academic probation.  And I don't think he will return to BU and if he does it would only be for a year.  Thus my original question.  But we did without Reinhart for a year, and player development is what it is.  Eichel will get more development in NCAA hockey the Reinhart got in junior hockey, IMO.  He could end up in Rochester if he comes out, and even if he sticks with the Sabres-- likely-- he is not going to be dominant in year one by any stretch IMO.  Neither McDavid nor Eichel will be an instant fix, but they will be fun to watch and give a glimpse of the future, but not turn the Sabres into a 96-100 point team next year in order to make the playoffs.

Edited by Devjid Drychovny

Physics always posts those conversion factors, doesn't he?

I think so. Eichel posted a 1.78 ppg at BU this year.

Does it temper expectations -- or provide misleading comparisons -- to see that Kariya scored 2.56 PPG during his first and only full year at Maine? Or that Nieuwendyk scored 2.26 during his junior year at Cornell (more like 1.55 during his freshman year)? Different eras, maybe.

Whither IKP?

Does it temper expectations -- or provide misleading comparisons -- to see that Kariya scored 2.56 PPG during his first and only full year at Maine? Or that Nieuwendyk scored 2.26 during his junior year at Cornell (more like 1.55 during his freshman year)? Different eras, maybe.

Whither IKP?

It was definitely a product of their era.  Those Kariya numbers are just flat out absurd.  They still can be a bit liberal in handing out secondary assists today, but there was a lot more of it back then.  There's also a strange bit of record keeping for that season where they included stats from exhibition games in his season total (a pair of double digit wins).  Eichel would have had 8 more points this year if exhibitions counted for him.

And actually, speaking of exhibitions, I completely missed it earlier this year, but Eichel actually played in one this year against BU.  They scrimmaged the world junior team right before that tournament.

Nancy Marrapese-Burrell of the Boston Globe was on Schopp & Bulldog today. Essentially said that the only reason Eichel would stay at BU was if he was going be sent to play in the AHL next year. Since we are done tanking I don't think that will be a problem.

That was a pretty good interview.

They key is a lot a alcohol. My first semester frosh year was 0.4, they told me I needed to raise it or they'd boot me. Second semester I doubled my previous semester's GPA. Needless to say, I didn't get my degree from that school.

University of Phoenix told me the same thing. 

Nancy Marrapese-Burrell of the Boston Globe was on Schopp & Bulldog today. Essentially said that the only reason Eichel would stay at BU was if he was going be sent to play in the AHL next year. Since we are done tanking I don't think that will be a problem.

It was a great interview. She also discussed the beer chug and "Buffalo, I'm coming for you" comment that was on Vine. Had nothing to do with the draft. That tape was made last September before he was coming to Buffalo for a prospect's tournament. I was really liking his style when I first saw the video clip and misconstrued it was his reflection on wanting to come to Buffalo to play, but I guess I will still gladly accept him in the blue and gold.

University of Phoenix told me the same thing. 

It was a great interview. She also discussed the beer chug and "Buffalo, I'm coming for you" comment that was on Vine. Had nothing to do with the draft. That tape was made last September before he was coming to Buffalo for a prospect's tournament. I was really liking his style when I first saw the video clip and misconstrued it was his reflection on wanting to come to Buffalo to play, but I guess I will still gladly accept him in the blue and gold.

Personally, I'm choosing to ignore the facts and pretend it was related to being drafted and coming here to save us. It's simply better that way.

Neither of those things will happen...

Reinhart out performed McDavid at the World Juniors. If you think McDavid - the greatest prospect since Crosby - needs time in a lower league before he can play in the NHL you have an incredibly warped understanding of hockey. Therefore, why a player who is further along in his development would need it is also hard to explain. Note - I said Reinhart is further along in his development, not that he is the better talent.

Eichel is apparently on a GPA below 1 and on academic probation. There is a real chance he basically isn't allowed back. He also has nothing to prove there. He was voted the best player in the NCAA...what else is there for him to achieve? It would have been nice if he won the cup, but plenty of prospects miss out on the memorial cup - they don't consider skipping the NHL for a year to have one more shot at it.

Honestly, this mentality some of you guys have is ludicrous

Lmao because I feel prospects should get their feet wet in the AHL first I have a warped understanding of hockey. Where did I say that they absolutely 100% no way around it have to play in the minors no matter what their skill set? Oh wait I didnt... I said I prefer that they do, that doesn't mean they have to and are going to. Everybody is wired different some kids can play right away most cannot. McDavid and Eichel are probably 2 that can make the jump. It's just my opinion that patience with developing players is better than throwing them into the fire. I dont like situations like the grigorenko fiasco. You may have a different opinion and that's cool.

Every person is different. There are countless reasons why his g.p.a., if true, is so low. At times a college athlete, particularly ones in their freshman year, put all of their attention/care towards the sport they are involved. I knew a guy who was very successful in cross country and track while in high school, and he was recruited by many schools. After making his choice, all he cared about was cross country. To make a long story short his first semester g.p.a. was a 1.52. Well below the required NCAA standards. His g.p.a. was due to poor decision making. A light bulb turned on w/ an added get your grades up from his parents, coaches, etc... The guy came back w/ a straight A's the next semester and never finished below a B in a class for his remaining college years. 

Plus, schools providing athletic scholarships do have required study hall hours/grade requirements. At the school we went to, if your g.p.a. was 3.0 or higher you were not required to attend study hall. My belief, if his g.p.a. is that low, it was by poor decision making, not being academically challenged. 

He would lose Millions.  That insurance isn't covering the roughly (12mil?) he would be getting on his entry level deal. It probably would pay out 500k or so. 

No. You're just making things up. The NCAA sponsored program pays out up to $5Mil for exceptional players and there is a private market that will tailor a plan for one's needs. 

It still makes more sense for him to come out out of school and not have to put himself in a situation to deal with insurance issues.

Not really that much, guys buy insurance to cover such an instance. 

Indeed they do.  There were lots of players like Shattenkirk who were on BU's 2009 championship team after they were drafted, and were first rate NHL players.  Again I don't think it likely JE stays, but the notion that everyone just jumps because of money is false.  Money still talks, but it always depends on circumstances.

No. You're just making things up. The NCAA sponsored program pays out up to $5Mil for exceptional players and there is a private market that will tailor a plan for one's needs. 

It still makes more sense for him to come out out of school and not have to put himself in a situation to deal with insurance issues.

Again you are right.  You can ensure a future income stream.  It's pretty expensive, but a bank will finance that too.  When you have the earning potential of JE, lots of people will advance you the money you need to be safe and insured.

Link?  Also I am not making things up.  Todd Gurley's insurance policy was worth $10million if I remember correctly.  Jack Eichel is worth less than Todd Gurley. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11888065/georgia-bulldogs-upped-todd-gurley-insurance-policy-10-million-coverage  

Here is where I got my original information on the NCAA policy http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/student-athlete-insurance-programs

Edited by LGR4GM

Whither IKP?

<bump>

Link?  Also I am not making things up.  Todd Gurley's insurance policy was worth $10million if I remember correctly.  Jack Eichel is worth less than Todd Gurley. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11888065/georgia-bulldogs-upped-todd-gurley-insurance-policy-10-million-coverage  

Here is where I got my original information on the NCAA policy http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/student-athlete-insurance-programs

I know some people who do this stuff for one.  

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/are_you_in_good_hands.html

The program was started in 1990 for college football players projected to be selected early in the NFL draft. Later expanded to cover men's and women's basketball, baseball and hockey, it offers low-interest loans to purchase up to $5 million in insurance coverage.

That particular article show some guys getting up to $10Million. 

Eichel, if he wanted could cover his entire rookie deal, either through NCAA or through private insurance.

Most players aren't totally stupid, if they are a high end prospect in any sport, and want to return to school, they cover themselves financially.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.