What if Eichel Decides to Return to BU Next Year?

Dave Dryden

I would have reservations about Jack Eichel if he were the type of person to base his life choices on what Connor McDavid is doing?

Why, because he is ultra competetive? I'll take that guy every time. You can have the dudes who are disinterested in playing the game and have other things to do.

There is no chance the team drafting at #2 passes on Eichel.

I think there is a chance (albeit a small one) that Eichel returns to BU.

Agree. And IF that very small if occurs and the Sabres were the ones that drafted him, the Sabres miss the playoffs by more than they woukd have otherwise and Sam spends the whole year in Buffalo rather that parts of it. Also MIGHT see one extra middling FA signing to help bring some more 'leadership' for the kids.

I love the idea that he would want to get into the league and prove himself to be best of the draft class of 2015. Questions about his character? Pssshhh.

Let's also not forget: 20% chance we get McDavid.

Finally, that "I'm coming for ya Buffalo" video was in re the prospects game in September 2014 (held in Buffalo), not the draft.

Finally, that "I'm coming for ya Buffalo" video was in re the prospects game in September 2014 (held in Buffalo), not the draft.

Do you have a source for that?  I can't find one and the video first appeared in February 2015.  Did his friend really hold onto it for five months before it go leaked?

He might also feel he needs another year to mature physically.  He seemed a bit worn down last night playing against 22 year olds.  Imagine being in the NHL .

Plenty of 18 year olds come from playing teenagers to playing adults for the whole season. He is in a better position than any of them, having played against 'men'

This fan based is so bruised.

Truth^

This fanbase is so f##k##g stupid.  This is actually the dumbest thread I have ever read. It is dumber than the fan cheating thread, then threads against tanking, basically this thread is full of Buffalo fans acting like morons because they are fearful little kids who can't be happy.  Holy people you just want to invent reasons to be miserable and I don't blame the OP, it is an honest question to ask but then reading everything that came after it, paranoid stupidity.

For sake, guess we better start the Mcdavid is going back to juniors thread and the Sam Reinhart is a bust thread. Just wow.  I think I may take a week off, I can't handle the stupid.   :wallbash:

And because his coach and a former BU star are in his ear to stay, and other NHL stars did it and are talking about how great it was to stay in college, and BU coach Quinn is bringing up a comment Phil Kessel made to him about how he wish he had stayed. He's going to get leaned on pretty good to stick around.

That probably says more about Kessel's popularity among teammates and fellow players than his true desire to stay in college. 

Do you have a source for that? I can't find one and the video first appeared in February 2015. Did his friend really hold onto it for five months before it go leaked?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/04/07/jack-eichel-excels-under-glare-spotlight/r0z751pzfWjhW73pMxrSxI/story.html

Truth^

This fanbase is so f##k##g stupid.  This is actually the dumbest thread I have ever read. It is dumber than the fan cheating thread, then threads against tanking, basically this thread is full of Buffalo fans acting like morons because they are fearful little kids who can't be happy.  Holy ###### people you just want to invent reasons to be miserable and I don't blame the OP, it is an honest question to ask but then reading everything that came after it, paranoid stupidity.

For ###### sake, guess we better start the Mcdavid is going back to juniors thread and the Sam Reinhart is a bust thread. Just wow.  I think I may take a week off, I can't handle the stupid.   :wallbash:

Ironically, this is the only "stupid" post in the thread. The rest is just a reasonable discussion on a Sunday afternoon. 

https://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/on_campus/2015/04/jack_eichels_plans_unknown_after_bu_loss

“It would be another great year of development, college hockey and life with coach (David) Quinn,” Eichel said. “There are positives to it any way you look at it. At the end of the day, when a decision has to be made, I will make it with my family and with my heart. I don’t want to be somewhere that I don’t want to be.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/on_campus/2015/04/jack_eichels_plans_unknown_after_bu_loss

“It would be another great year of development, college hockey and life with coach (David) Quinn,” Eichel said. “There are positives to it any way you look at it. At the end of the day, when a decision has to be made, I will make it with my family and with my heart. I don’t want to be somewhere that I don’t want to be.”

When he is drafted No.2 and is offered an NHL contract worth millions....he won't be returning to college.

I really think that was his best shot at the NCAA championship.

I don't see any way that he would go back.

This type of talent plays in the NHL in the first season after being drafted.

Obviously playing in the championship game gives you the greatest chance you can have to win, but if somehow he did stay, that team would be an instant threat next year.  They were one of, if not the youngest teams in the entire NCAA.  They had only three seniors, one of which was the 3rd string goalie and they were dressing 4 freshman defensemen each night.  They've also got a very strong class coming in next year.  The main question will be in net with O'Connor more than likely leaving.  They had another goalie out this year as a medical red shirt who actually had better career numbers than O'Connor (they both came in as freshmen in the same year).

So if Eichel is motivated by a shot at a national championship, there are a lot of factors in place that could draw him back.  It's not going to happen though.  Quinn can say all the right things in the media, but he and the school have known for a while now that Eichel was a one-and-done.  They made about as much out of it as they could and now they're ready to move forward with a new batch of talent.

I would have reservations about Jack Eichel if he were the type of person to base his life choices on what Connor McDavid is doing? 

I've heard from both the Buffalo and Boston media, that he wanted to play against McDavid in the OHL, but his rights were in the Q... Given those options, he stayed local.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.