Should Ted Nolan Coach Buffalo Next Year?

IKnowPhysics

Ted Nolan:  

89 members have voted

1. 1. On Ted Nolan coaching next year:

• I want Ted Nolan to coach the Buffalo Sabres next year.
    • I am indifferent on whether Ted Nolan coaches the Buffalo Sabres next year.
    • It do not want Ted Nolan to coach the Buffalo Sabres next year.

Ready to move-on here.  I don't have much more of a reason, but I'd love a clean slate starting with next season. 

You expect to land Babcock????  I wouldn't bet the farm on that one.   I would love to have him here I just don't see it happening....

IF they don't land Babcock then give ole Teddy another shot.  I don't want them to bring in a completely unproven coach like Richardson.  Let him stew a bit in the AHL to see how well he can coach. 

My sentiments exactly.  I would prefer overpaying Babcock rather than a Dan Bylsma though.  TBH.  We'll see what happens.  

IMO, Pegula will open his checkbook to pay Babcock. Just like he did to land Rex for the Bills, and I don't think many people saw that coming.

If Buffalo lands McDavid or Eichel, I think it would be compelling for Babcock to coach the Sabres. $$$ and young talent are good motivators behind a decision.

My concern is that Babcock wants control over the roster, and I don't see Murray relinquishing any control. That could really hurt negotiations, and I don't think there's enough money that would overcome that one.

IMO, Pegula will open his checkbook to pay Babcock. Just like he did to land Rex for the Bills, and I don't think many people saw that coming.

If Buffalo lands McDavid or Eichel, I think it would be compelling for Babcock to coach the Sabres. $$$ and young talent are good motivators behind a decision.

My concern is that Babcock wants control over the roster, and I don't see Murray relinquishing any control. That could really hurt negotiations, and I don't think there's enough money that would overcome that one.

They've worked together before.

Absolutely, but will loyalty and appreciation be enough. I think they worked together when Babcock was just starting out. Now, he's proven and wants more control. That's my only concern, but I hope all of the other over-weighs that concern.

I'd love the chance to see if a conflict plays out.

I can't see him coming back, it doesn't make sense. He won't get the credit if the team improves GMTM will and the young guys will and if they don't do well out of the gate, he'll get crucified for their failure. A clean slate to help everyone forget the past couple of years and look forward to the future is the only sane way to go. Pro sports has nothing to do with fairness, coaches are hired to be fired. He's a for certain goner in my estimation.

You are G-Damn right I want Ted to coach the Sabres next season. Have you forgotten that 10 game stretch where this club played with Nolan-like effort and suddenly started to jolt up the standings? Don't fool yourself, this club was then told to 'stand down" to get the main prize at season's end. That hard working team for that stretch is a Ted Nolan team. That is the team that I love and it had no McDavid. Give Ted the chance to work with this young group as he has suffered greatly  as well, for "the sake of the organization". Do you honestly think you saw a true Ted Nolan coached club this past season and a half? Really? The man's reputation has suffered also because of this and I think he damn well deserves a shot at coaching some young talented players.Did Ted trade away 2 starting goaltenders and some vets? The tank was on folks and Ted had to tow the company line. You will see a hard working young talented club that will go through the wall for their coach if he is given the chance. At least give him that much. He has damn well deserved it and feel free to make me eat it if I am wrong on this. The man is a very good coach. The NHL most definitely needs to readdress the draft and how picks are decided. It totally screws with fan bases and mentality on how to build a winner. I actually prefer the way Montreal does it. Try and do the best you can on draft day but always field a competitive club. No tanking. Now that being said, I absolutely welcome McDavid or Eichel as we have no where to go but up and have suffered greatly these past 3 seasons. Just give ted the chance with some talent. I'll take the heat if I am wrong on this point.

So no one cares that one of the answers is "It do not want Ted Nolan..." man standards around here be droppin like turdburger jerseys into a fire of fan hatred.

He may no physics but he donut no english

Watching this team over the course of the last year, there have been some steady gains; grittier, playing much better in the corners and along the boards, better passing (all of this to say that there's still room for improvement) ...

There have been games that I've watched this year where this team was actually the better on-ice product ... and they still lost. Not because they weren't trying, but because they *stopped* trying. Literally just ... quit. Blew leads well into the 3rd. The Chicago game is the most recent example I can think of.

I may be out of my gord, here ... but I swear, there have been games I've watched this year where I swear the team was showing who they really are ... and then just stepped back and let the other team win. Maybe it's my imagination; maybe I'm strung out on "the good cough syrup."

It would not surprise me at all to see this team make it to the playoffs next year. Not one bit.

Chris,

*Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends*.

*Come inside the show's about to start*.

It's been awhile.

*waves hello*

oh i've been in lurker mode for a while. :) just too busy to get into commenting. new job, new responsibilities ... it's a great new gig, but it is *drastically* different than my last job.

I would hire Ted Nolan as personal coach if he is not retained by the Sabres.  I would like to make two points.  Firstly, no matter what GMTM might want, it will be up to TP.  Secondly, it has been reassuring to me personally to hear Ted Nolan speak about trying your best, and living for the present in the face of adversity.  

I think he is a good coach.  I am not an expert.  I will, however, claim as much expertise in judging a man's character as the next gal.  To me, Ted Nolan is an absolute keeper.

I am tired of the drama - the I will hate you unless, the I will not spend a dime unless, the do this or else.  It is a team game, and even the boss is just a player in the game.  When people say "perspective," they usually do so to claim objectivity, or even omniscience.  In this case, it is just me, and what I think of the guy.

I think Nolan is an exceptional coach at getting players to give everything they have and in cases where the team isn't very talented, getting them to play above their talent level, through sheer motivation, the players love and respect for him which makes them willing to literally skate through the end boards for him, and the way he mentally prepares them to be ready to give their best.

That being said, I don't think he is a good enough X's and O's coach to match wits with other NHL coaches with top level talent.  I think you would see him get exposed in the playoffs where strategy really comes into play over the course of a long series.  I think he has done a great job getting the team to the point they are at now, but I don't think he is the right coach for the next part of the journey once they become good.  Perhaps he will get another year to develop the young players, but I'd give equal odds that Murray wants to hire the coach he want for the next part of the journey a year earlier than needed to give him time to grow with the players.

I'd expect the Sabres to pursue Mike Babcock pretty strongly and would give them a good chance of landing him with Pegula's deep pockets and the collection of young talent we have coming up in the near future...

Edited by matter2003

I'm 50-50. Plus side: got great effort from a team of scrubs. Minus side: Not a team player with management. E.g...Losing Hackett's rights over playing time. Not a huge deal big picture but a sign that he is willing to hurt a team over a pissing match.

I've had this challenge thrown in my face a lot over the years. But where's the evidence for any pissing match? Or that Murray cares one way or another that Matt Freakin' Hackett's rights are lost?

I can't see him coming back, it doesn't make sense. He won't get the credit if the team improves GMTM will and the young guys will and if they don't do well out of the gate, he'll get crucified for their failure. A clean slate to help everyone forget the past couple of years and look forward to the future is the only sane way to go. Pro sports has nothing to do with fairness, coaches are hired to be fired. He's a for certain goner in my estimation.

This is a good point.  And the kids probably won't do all that well out of the gate.  But you're right, Nolan will be blamed for that, while a new coach won't. That is unfair but true.

I also believe that there is no way in hell we'll also get Mike Babcock so I would forget about that scenario. I know T-Pegs has the cash and we will have either MCDAVID OR EICHEL next season but to think we will get a franchise player and Hall of Fame head coach in the same season is serious dreaming. You can dream big and if this should somehow happen then we will have gone from outhouse to penthouse in a very short period of time. I am willling to give Ted the shot with young talent and let the chips fall where they may from that point. Not saying the Sabres won't go after Babcock but so will pretty much everyone else so he can make his own choice as to what is more dear to him. (location? the challenge? what his family would prefer? etc...)

I'm not sure why there is this much anti-Ted sentiment on this question? Do you not remember the previous team he coached? We had little to no talent (but we did have a goaltender!!) and that was some of the most exciting Sabres hockey in quite some time. You knew you were going to see a strong effort and everyone was going to have each others backs. I loved those teams. Ted is good with the youngsters. Sometimes you have to be tough for them to develop into character players. Now that the McDavid/Eichel situation has been decided I expect to see this type of club play tonight against Pitt as the tank is officially over. I believe tonight's effort will be strong against a Pitt team that needs this game. We shall see. All I'm saying is, give Ted one to 2 more seasons  to see the real Nolan team. I think we'll all enjoy hockey in Western New York once again. (and it has been a long time coming)

On a not related topic, anyone expecting Miller to fail miserably in the playoffs with Vancouver this season besides me? I'm expecting it again big time!

I also believe that there is no way in hell we'll also get Mike Babcock so I would forget about that scenario. I know T-Pegs has the cash and we will have either MCDAVID OR EICHEL next season but to think we will get a franchise player and Hall of Fame head coach in the same season is serious dreaming. You can dream big and if this should somehow happen then we will have gone from outhouse to penthouse in a very short period of time. I am willling to give Ted the shot with young talent and let the chips fall where they may from that point. Not saying the Sabres won't go after Babcock but so will pretty much everyone else so he can make his own choice as to what is more dear to him. (location? the challenge? what his family would prefer? etc...)

I'm not sure why there is this much anti-Ted sentiment on this question? Do you not remember the previous team he coached? We had little to no talent (but we did have a goaltender!!) and that was some of the most exciting Sabres hockey in quite some time. You knew you were going to see a strong effort and everyone was going to have each others backs. I loved those teams. Ted is good with the youngsters. Sometimes you have to be tough for them to develop into character players. Now that the McDavid/Eichel situation has been decided I expect to see this type of club play tonight against Pitt as the tank is officially over. I believe tonight's effort will be strong against a Pitt team that needs this game. We shall see. All I'm saying is, give Ted one to 2 more seasons  to see the real Nolan team. I think we'll all enjoy hockey in Western New York once again. (and it has been a long time coming)

On a not related topic, anyone expecting Miller to fail miserably in the playoffs with Vancouver this season besides me? I'm expecting it again big time!

Why wouldn't a coach want to come to a place where he has a young team that is going to be exceptionally talented in a few years? Add that to the fact we are the hockey center of the US and Pegula has money to burn and isn't afraid to spend it, and I think I like our odds.  

As fans, we need to change the "Whoa is me" mindset we have had the last 30 years.  I know it takes a while but those days are long gone for both the Sabres and the Bills.

Edited by matter2003