GDT:Carolina at Buffalo 4-6-2015 7PM MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

Good win.  Gionta, Larsson, Grigorenko, and Ennis scored.  All guys that are going to be contributors next season.  Ennis's goal was his 20th of the season, which is nice.

Which, according to Rob Ray, allows for him to be called Mr.Ennis now

I can't see Cam ward being an NHL goalie much longer, damn he has been stinking it up last two years.

Maybe Irbe can work some of his magic on him ? :D

Also i might be seeing it wrong, but seems larsson has better chemistry with ennis and moulson than zemgus.

Edited by Heimdall

Kudos to RJ for coming back from the dreaded disease. He sounds just as usual but I hate to say that his usual spectacular goal calls are beyond his ability at this point. Maybe a summer's rest will invigorate the pipes but he just can't make a proper goal call at least this year. He can't get to the high notes anymore and I think that dampens his enthusiasm. (as well as this abysmal team)

I can't see Cam ward being an NHL goalie much longer, damn he has been stinking it up last two years.

Maybe Irbe can work some of his magic on him ? :D

Also i might be seeing it wrong, but seems larsson has better chemistry with ennis and moulson than zemgus.

How many people think Irbe stays if Nolan is fired?

I see it as a more balanced line with Larsson. With Gus it was more just Gus & Ennis, with Moulson being not as involved. Moulson seems like a better player with Larsson. I think I see Larsson more of a 2-3 line center and Gus as a 3-4 line center (not that Larsson is better than Gus, but just the style of play; Girgs is more physical I think).

Isn't it bizarre that in short order we might end up with too many quality centers, after being starved for them for so long?

How many people think Irbe stays if Nolan is fired?

A valid question. Perhaps even a valid reason to keep Nolan on for another year. It might be worth keeping Nolan around if it means the assistants stay (particularly Irbe and Trottier in my mind).

I think that if Nolan is fired, which I am strongly opposed to, the entire coaching staff goes with him.

Yep. I'm kind of conflicted on that count. I don't think Nolan is the guy that takes us to the Promised Land, but I think his staff is doing a lot of good things. That doesn't mean there aren't better coaches out there, but just like we get attached to the players, I'm kind of attached to some of the assistant and position coaches. I truly feel Irbe is a wondrous coach for goalies. Any piece of meat that can stack the pads suddenly looks like a potential all-star under his tutelage. I like the cred and gravitas that Trottier brings to the bench, and even Flynn seems to be getting a lot of the young players. I see the current coaching system as Nolan being the Motivator-In-Chief, Trottier the Xs and Os guy, and Flynn the developer of talent. Nolan knows his coaching resume has holes and took appropriate measures to close the gaps.

I think I give Nolan a C grade; Irbe gets an A+ and Trottier and Flynn get Bs. But I also think that once the tank is over, they as a staff may be capable of a lot more.

I hope that Zona wins one before the Sabres play again. I want to root for my team with no conflicts of interest.

Good win.  Gionta, Larsson, Grigorenko, and Ennis scored.  All guys that are going to be contributors next season.  Ennis's goal was his 20th of the season, which is nice.

Can you define "good" for me?  (Are you using a Clintonian version of the word?)  Except for the scoreboard, we were essentially dominated.  Every conceivable positive statistic except the score was tipped heavily in Carolina's favor.  And that's because Cam Ward was atrocious.  Period.

Goaltending was the difference.  If Ward wasn't such a sieve early on, this would have been one of the more ugly losses we've seen all year.  Kudos to Lindback.  What a stellar night.  Prefer to see that next year rather than now.  But he was remarkable, without question.

Can you define "good" for me?  (Are you using a Clintonian version of the word?)  Except for the scoreboard, we were essentially dominated.  Every conceivable positive statistic except the score was tipped heavily in Carolina's favor.  And that's because Cam Ward was atrocious.  Period.

Goaltending was the difference.  If Ward wasn't such a sieve early on, this would have been one of the more ugly losses we've seen all year.  Kudos to Lindback.  What a stellar night.  Prefer to see that next year rather than now.  But he was remarkable, without question.

It's a good win because Matt Freakin' Ellis didn't will us to victory with a 2 point night.  If we're gonna win, I want the youngins to score.  If not the youngins, then at least vets who are going to be around when we are actually good.

I'm getting wrecked no matter what anyone does.

:beer: +1

Amazing how many different goalies we've said that about this year, isn't it?

It really is.  The average .870 goalie is suddenly a .950 guy as soon as he puts the blue and gold on.  Be nice if we were on a playoff run, but holy moly... STOOOPPPPPP IT NOW!!!  Do it against Pittsburgh after we clinch 30th, PLEASE!

It's a good win because Matt Freakin' Ellis didn't will us to victory with a 2 point night.  If we're gonna win, I want the youngins to score.  If not the youngins, then at least vets who are going to be around when we are actually good.

Got it.... "good" can mean different things.  My definition of GOOD: We clinch 30th tonight or tomorrow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.