2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

The NBA just went down the line.    Last year the Knicks dropped to 4 or 5 or something, but they didn't jump up to the top 3, just kept going down the line....

but this is what I want to see live for the NHL.... http://www.nba.com/video/channels/draft/2014/05/20/052014-draft-lottery-behind-the-scenes.nba/

With the 3-place lottery now, skipping a team is dramatic but doesn't give away the end until the last two. Start at 14, start going down the list. OMG they skipped the Sabres! And you get all that suspense before you get to the top 3.

The various "reality" competition shows often take the top 3 finishers, announce the third, and then first (since announcing 2nd implies first).

Initial Top 10 from Future Considerations:

1). C Auston Matthews, US NTDP U18 (USHL), 6-2, 200
2). D Jakob Chychrun, Sarnia (OHL), 6-2, 200
3). RW Jesse Puljujarvi, Karpat (Liiga), 6-3, 200
4). LW Matthew Tkachuk, US NTDP U18 (USHL), 6-1, 190
5). LW Max Jones, US NTDP U17 (USHL), 6-2, 200
6). D Chad Krys, US NTDP U17 (USHL), 5-11, 185
7). LW Tyler Benson, Vancouver (WHL), 6-0, 200
8). LW/C Dmitri Sokolov, Omskie Yastreby (MHL), 6-0, 215
9). C Sam Steel, Regina (WHL), 5-11, 170
10). D Sean Day, Mississauga (OHL), 6-2, 225

its being reported that the Matthews decision is coming today or tomorrow. He is either going to Everett of the WHL or Switzerland.

Looks like Future Considerations was a bit off in their initial draft list.

Not even sure Steel, Krys and Day get drafted in top 2 rounds.  

Im pretty sure Benson goes in round 2 - had a real tough year with injuries.

Looks like Future Considerations was a bit off in their initial draft list.

Not even sure Steel, Krys and Day get drafted in top 2 rounds.  

Im pretty sure Benson goes in round 2 - had a real tough year with injuries.

Yeah, I feel for Benson. Kid has the goods to be a star in this league. But those injuries really set him back this year. Hope we grab him in the second round.

Do you think they will just reuse the Edmonton gold card from last year or will they print a new one?

Why bother printing a new one? That old tattered gold one has worked well for 'em in the past. Can't see why they'd change it up now. Saving $0.50 at Staples or something. ;)

What the hell ever happened to Sean Day?!  Didn't that kid enter the CHL draft early under 'exceptional player' status?  Those guys always go first overall come draft year don't they?  I don't even think he's graded as a first rounder.

Edited by Derrico

the system failed Sean Day. he basically had the stature of an adult when he was 14 at 6'3 230lbs and has elite level skating ability for a guy that size. His agent, Jason Wooley, pushed for him to be granted "exceptional status" at that time and he entered the OHL at 15. Unfortunately, he was over-matched and still hasn't recovered to be the prospect many thought he would be.

Basically the same thing that the Oilers have done with their prospects - forcing them into a position they aren't ready for.

Plus, there are lots of questions about his hockey IQ and dedication to the sport.

Could Laine have passed Matthews?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-no-1-draft-lottery-mvp-finland-winger-world-junior-champion-auston-matthews-edmonton-oilers-mike-liut-octagon/

If Sabres get the #1 pick who are you taking? If you have been reading my posts for the last 6 months you know who I want lined up with Eichel.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-no-1-draft-lottery-mvp-finland-winger-world-junior-champion-auston-matthews-edmonton-oilers-mike-liut-octagon/

If Sabres get the #1 pick who are you taking? If you have been reading my posts for the last 6 months you know who I want lined up with Eichel.

I still trade it

I take Matthews.but that means 2nd is really good too Edited by LGR4GM

the system failed Sean Day. he basically had the stature of an adult when he was 14 at 6'3 230lbs and has elite level skating ability for a guy that size. His agent, Jason Wooley, pushed for him to be granted "exceptional status" at that time and he entered the OHL at 15. Unfortunately, he was over-matched and still hasn't recovered to be the prospect many thought he would be.

Basically the same thing that the Oilers have done with their prospects - forcing them into a position they aren't ready for.

Plus, there are lots of questions about his hockey IQ and dedication to the sport.

Great background/explanation.  Thanks for this.

I try to trade down to #2.   If that doesn't work set a smokescreen and take Laine #1.    You all know how I feel about Daigle... err Matthews.

http://nhllotterysimulator.com/lottery.html

official nhl lottery simulator. :D

had the Colorado - Buffalo - Edmonton on my 2nd try and was thinking, that would be great for sakic and roy to hide their incompetence.

I'm stuck on infinite redraws....  

I try to trade down to #2.   If that doesn't work set a smokescreen and take Laine #1.    You all know how I feel about Daigle... err Matthews.

Comparing him with daigle already might be a bit of a stretch no ?   Haven't really followed the kid, and I'm more into Laine or Pulju because they fit our needs better.

I try to trade down to #2. If that doesn't work set a smokescreen and take Laine #1. You all know how I feel about Daigle... err Matthews.

First try:

1. Edmonton

2. Buffalo

3. Arizona

I think I want this to happen more than the Sabres winning. All the hand wringing and dicking around with the lottery......and nothing changes.

First try:

1. Edmonton

2. Buffalo

3. Arizona

I think I want this to happen more than the Sabres winning. All the hand wringing and dicking around with the lottery......and nothing changes.

I would love this just to illustrate why having the lottery the way it is, is total BS. 

Comparing him with daigle already might be a bit of a stretch no ?   Haven't really followed the kid, and I'm more into Laine or Pulju because they fit our needs better.

OK, yeah comparing him to Daigle at this point in his career is unfair.   I think he'll have a better career than Daigle, but I won't be surprised if he flames out.

I just saw that Laine had 256 shots on goal. I find that impressive but if it is accurate, that makes his sh% absurdly low at like .065, is this a concern?

OK, yeah comparing him to Daigle at this point in his career is unfair.   I think he'll have a better career than Daigle, but I won't be surprised if he flames out.

Honestly we get it. You don't like Matthews. 

I just saw that Laine had 256 shots on goal. I find that impressive but if it is accurate, that makes his sh% absurdly low at like .065, is this a concern?

Where'd you find that number? I've looked for SOG totals from Liiga and have never been able to find anything.

His shot is one thing that I think everyone would agree is silly to worry about, it's the reason he's the consensus #2 in the eyes of most scouts. It's the best shot of anyone his age I've seen since Ovechkin. Devastatingly accurate, whether it's a slap shot, snap shot, or wrist shot. He approached the record number of goals in a single playoff by any Finnish Elite League player ever, at 18 years old. 

Where'd you find that number? I've looked for SOG totals from Liiga and have never been able to find anything.

His shot is one thing that I think everyone would agree is silly to worry about, it's the reason he's the consensus #2 in the eyes of most scouts. It's the best shot of anyone his age I've seen since Ovechkin. Devastatingly accurate, whether it's a slap shot, snap shot, or wrist shot. He approached the record number of goals in a single playoff by any Finnish Elite League player ever, at 18 years old. 

Patrik Laine averages 5.5 shots/gm for Tappara through 46 gms this season. He averages 17:16 of ice time/gm. Has 17-16-33 this season

I realize this equals only 253 shots but still something I find interesting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.