2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Draft Buzz hockey released their rankings today:

I've been wondering if we would see a dramatic rise in one of my fav's Dubois and here it is. Now ranked 4th by DB hockey. ahead of Tkachuk.

Dubois was the Q player of the week for Feb to 22nd.

This past week he missed a game due to injury. Played 2 days later at put up 2G and 3A.

Draft Buzz hockey released their rankings today:

I've been wondering if we would see a dramatic rise in one of my fav's Dubois and here it is. Now ranked 4th by DB hockey. ahead of Tkachuk.

Dubois was the Q player of the week for Feb to 22nd.

This past week he missed a game due to injury. Played 2 days later at put up 2G and 3A.

Better hope he stops this late season tear.  Otherwise he's going to be long gone by our pick at 7.

Better hope he stops this late season tear.  Otherwise he's going to be long gone by our pick at 7.

I've got about 10 Steelhead games PVR'd and I'll have to watch them soon. Time to pay more attention to Nylander who looks to be in the 6 - 8 slot. Hoping I can find some of his WJC games somewhere. He has really good OHL numbers - 28G and 44A in 52 games. He is also on loan with Mississauga, so (I believe) could go to AHL next season rather than having to go back to OHL.

Craig Button`s Mock draft - 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tradecentre-button-s-mock-draft~818345

Dubios rising here with Chychrun dropping.

I've got about 10 Steelhead games PVR'd and I'll have to watch them soon. Time to pay more attention to Nylander who looks to be in the 6 - 8 slot. Hoping I can find some of his WJC games somewhere. He has really good OHL numbers - 28G and 44A in 52 games. He is also on loan with Mississauga, so (I believe) could go to AHL next season rather than having to go back to OHL.

Craig Button`s Mock draft - 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tradecentre-button-s-mock-draft~818345

Dubios rising here with Chychrun dropping.

Who knows but heard a scout mention Nylander is further ahead in his development than his brother was at this age.  Leafs fans treating the older Nylander like he's the savior so I would be very interested in picking Nylander in that 6-8 range.

From Draft Analyst:

Connor McDavid: 76 assists in 47 games in draft year

Matt Tkachuk: 70 assists in 48 games thus far in draft year.

However this was the response from Derek Jedamski, who is a Sabres Fan and a self proclaimed stats nerd

Except of those 70, only 42 are at even strength and only 15 of them are primary assists.

Is anyone concerned by this?

From Draft Analyst:

However this was the response from Derek Jedamski, who is a Sabres Fan and a self proclaimed stats nerd

Except of those 70, only 42 are at even strength and only 15 of them are primary assists.

Only 15 of his 70 assists are primary? Or 15 of his 42 even strength assists?

From Draft Analyst:

I would be. Is Tkachuk driving the offense or merely a good offensive passenger cashing in?  For instance Reinhart had a ton of assists but he was the one creating the opportunities for his teammates so that's great. I hope that have other options better than Tkachuk but if he is the guy let's hope he improves.

There is no doubt that Tkachuk's stats have benefited from being on a Super Line with Marner and Dvorak but he has more than held up his end too.

I was at a game 3 weeks ago where he had a hat-trick and assist. 1 goal was a tip-in while standing in front of the net, another was scored while driving the net off the break. In no way, did he look out of place playing with along side high end talent.

Overall, I've seen  him play live 3 times and another 10-12 times on tv. If the Sabres draft 4th or 5th and draft Tkachuk I would be in no way disappointed, or concerned.

Don't forget he put up 11 points playing next the Matthews at the WJC - he meshes well with Elite players and would look great next to Eichel for the next decade.

Edited by Crusader1969

This might be a dumb question, since we know some of these draft picks are going to be packaged for players. But my question is does two third round picks equal a second round pick and does two seconds equal a first round pick?

Not on it's own, like "I'll trade you two thirds for your second", but more like "I'll trade you Malkin for Pysyk and your second." "How about Pysyk and my third?" "No. Pysyk and two thirds?" "Deal." You could argue that 2 3rd == 1 2nd in that scenario, but it's not that easy.

(Shout out to wookie for the trade inspiration! :))

Edited by MattPie

Not on it's own, like "I'll trade you two thirds for your second", but more like "I'll trade you Malkin for Pysyk and your second." "How about Pysyk and my third?" "No. Pysyk and two thirds?" "Deal." You could argue that 2 3rd == 1 2nd in that scenario, but it's not that easy.

(Shout out to wookie for the trade inspiration! :))

Thanks. Just trying to figure out a scenario where we could get an extra first round pick. There are two guys I would like us to go after.

Thanks. Just trying to figure out a scenario where we could get an extra first round pick. There are two guys I would like us to go after.

GMTM tried to package three 2nds to move back into the first round in 2014. No dice.

At best, if you were already working a hockey trade you might be able to turn an early 2nd into a late first to balance out value. Something like, Ennis and my (early) 2nd for Drew Miller and your (late) 1st. (I'm guessing Ennis has more value than Drew Miller, but whatever)

Prob should move debate of priorites and who is in pipeline back here out of OReilly thread. O has to be first priority lots of D in this draft to develop but top O talent only so deep and then slim pickins. Yes Sabres need some D, but would rather trade and develop in minors later picks

Hockey Prospects updated 2016 draft rankings released today.

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-rankings/

Dubios moves ahead of Tkachuk on another list - Chychrun drops to 9th and ranked below Joulevi and Sergi. 

As I mentioned a few weeks back there is a possibility that 6 Forwards (5 of whom are wingers) go before the 1st Dman goes.

Hockey Prospects updated 2016 draft rankings released today.

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-rankings/

Dubios moves ahead of Tkachuk on another list - Chychrun drops to 9th and ranked below Joulevi and Sergi. 

As I mentioned a few weeks back there is a possibility that 6 Forwards (5 of whom are wingers) go before the 1st Dman goes.

I think that will happen.  Similar to my surprise with Hanifin dropping behind Marner and Strome last year, same will likely happen with Chychrun (if he is indeed the first D even taken). 

Wow, Gauthier falling all the way to 20 is a surprise to me.

Edited by Derrico

WGR had someone on a few weeks ago (can't remember if it was Pronman or Morreale) saying that scouts are concerned about Chychrun's development stagnating. Just hasn't taken the step forward scouts were expecting. Pretty sure he was consensus #2 behind Matthews heading into this season, and now he's sliding to the back of the top-10? Not sure that's a guy I want to hitch my wagon to, depending where we end up of course.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.